• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The wording in our Time Stop page

Eficiente

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I sincerely hope this to be a quick thread and not one of those I end up forgetting.

Currently; "The ability to stop time and move around normally, an often specialized variant of Time Manipulation. In stopped time, characters can attack immobile opponents or set up and dodge attacks. Characters may be able to stop time for only a few seconds, or much longer - in some cases, they may be capable of stopping time indefinitely. Often, characters who can stop time can move in the stopped time of others as well."

Problems:

• Stopping someone else or something else's time is used as time stop too.
  • "move around normally" it's not necessary to have the power, you could do nothing but think while having stopped time and you would have still, well, stopped time.
  • Having a limited range in it still gives you the power. This is important as just "stop time" is taken as having universal range without more context.
  • Not all time stop user can attack immobile opponents. Or even dodge attacks, the time stop could end and the user could end up in the same place where the time stop started.
  • The last part is misleading and a lie, why would something that needs to be used manually would work like that? If anything, we should say that this is not the case without Resistance to Time Stop.

Fixed. Does fandom have a list to its bugs to avoid them or we just have to roll with them?

You should ask some administrators to comment here.

Yes, I only bump'd this on phone, I'll soon do that.

I don't know. We tend to go by intuition, but at least a few administrators and administrators are usually preferable.

Anyway, does somebody have suggestions for how we should solve this?

Why do we even have a page for this when Time Manipulation already exists

Stopping someone else or something else's time is used as time stop too.

Isn't stopping someone else Paralysis Inducement? I'm not really familiar with anything where people have individualized time or whatever

"move around normally" it's not necessary to have the power, you could do nothing but think while having stopped time and you would have still, well, stopped time.

true

Having a limited range in it still gives you the power. This is important as just "stop time" is taken as having universal range without more context.

Yeah

Not all time stop user can attack immobile opponents. Or even dodge attacks, the time stop could end and the user could end up in the same place where the time stop started.

Pretty sure this is just a weakness for those guys, the page descriptions are largely for default assumptions

The last part is misleading and a lie, why would something that needs to be used manually would work like that? If anything, we should say that this is not the case without Resistance to Time Stop.

It does often confer a resistance but it is a little misleading rn

"Stopping something's time" is often just people time stopping only a certain thing, like the Stasis in Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Is this a problem? Stopping someone else time is still Time Stop.

"move around normally" it's not necessary to have the power, you could do nothing but think while having stopped time and you would have still, well, stopped time.

I guess its a possibility, few characters can do that. So simple reword it as "freeze time without being affected, either totally or partially" or something similar.

Having a limited range in it still gives you the power. This is important as just "stop time" is taken as having universal range without more context.

No, one doesn't need to have universal range to have the power, that's just the standard assumption in case there's missing more details, but one can freely stop the time of one individual.

Not all time stop user can attack immobile opponents. Or even dodge attacks, the time stop could end and the user could end up in the same place where the time stop started.

Another possibility, few characters are unable to interact with the environment while there in stopped time.

The last part is misleading and a lie, why would something that needs to be used manually would work like that? If anything, we should say that this is not the case without Resistance to Time Stop.

I guess its a possibility, not all verses elaborate in how the ability works, but it should be at least be immune to Time Stop of the same nature (or at least, that would be the standard assumption).

I think that Antoniofer seems to make sense.

Antoniofer said:
I guess its a possibility, not all verses elaborate in how the ability works, but it should be at least be immune to Time Stop of the same nature (or at least, that would be the standard assumption).
So if a character can stop time, the assumption would be that they resist being stopped in time? Why?

Wokistan said:

Isn't stopping someone else Paralysis Inducement? I'm not really familiar with anything where people have individualized time or whatever
If we do know for a fact that it's done via time manip, all the profiles I have seen use that as time stop. Which in turn if resisted would give Resistance to it (although this would not be the same as resisting a universal time stop).

@Ant I propose the following:

"The ability to stop time, be it on a singular target, on a local scale, or stopping all of time in general. Most users of the power are able to more around in stopped time, although this does not always have to be the case. The duration of the stopped time can be limited or indefinite, and the user may or may not be able to interact with affected people and objects.

This ability is a variation of Time Manipulation, and while stopping targets in time may be considered as Status Effect Inducement, simply leaving things immobile (even if suspended in the air) cannot be considered Time Stop without evidence of time being altered in the process.

Characters with infinite, immeasurable or irrelevant speed should be immune to conventional uses of this power, but might be affected depending on the rules or lack of rules in the fiction in question."

I'm still against immunity/resistance via just having the power.

@Antoniofer The "Problems" are possibilities we use but the page itself doesn't.

Honestly, I would rather merge this power with Time Manipulation: Time Stop is a subpower of the Time Manipulation, and its applications aren't even broad, like, its simply make the time stop flowing and that's it. Range and selectivity vary between users.

I guess making one immune to Time Stop cuz it has the same power sounds kinda fallacious, so if people want to remove that part then that's fine.

I think we should keep the pages separated. Timestop Especially thanks to a certain English Vampire has become a power that's extremely common on its own without the user having other kinds of time manipulation.

I agree with everything else though.

Neutral. But I'll say that somewhat recently the time stop users category became a thing, so it would be easy to not do that.

The phrase "to generate time to stop" doesn't really make sense, we have an actual page for paralysis and not just status effect, and using the phrase "most can do this" already insinuates that it isn't ubiquitous so you don't need to add in the "some can't though". Besides those small things I agree with Efi's suggested changes

I improved a bit on the grammar for Eficiente's suggestion.

In any case, I think that we should continue to keep the Time Stop and Time Manipulation pages separate, as the former is quite common and far more limited in versatility.

Anyway, after modifying the suggestion text a bit further, I think that it seems fine to apply.

I'm fine with Efi's suggestions. I also think the pages should be kept separate.

Back