• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Wayback Machine can "save" NF calcs

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
Disclaimer

Disclaimer: If you don't wanna read all the fluff, skip to the TL;DR, appropriately titled "Get On With It", at the bottom. Or, if you only care about the announcement and not the how-to, the title tells you everything you need to know.

Discovery (The Fluff)
So, we all know that you can't view NF calcs without having 25 posts on an account, which is a hassle for some of us.

Well, fret no longer.

For you see, while I was getting frustrated not being able to see Pyron's speed for Jedah vs Bowser, I remembered doing something...

When I was doing that Defog calc, I had to go back to my old (incorrect and outdated) Shaymin calc.

In that, I backed up an old KaiserWombat calc about the sizes of the regions.

It didn't hit me until now...

I could still view that calc.

There was another instance where I could view another backed-up calc here. I could even see the calc itself and the images, as opposed to the result.

To confirm, I backed up the calc for Pyron's speed, and it worked. (Btw, @Gar. Bowser is 500 times faster ovo. 15 billion c vs 77 trillion c)

Get On With It
If you wanna view NF calcs, but don't have the means, copy the link from VsBattles. Don't click on the link and then copy the URL. It may just be my phone being stupid, but when I did that at first, it didn't work, and the WB Machine said that there was no saved data on the page, and when I tried it by copying the link from VSBW, it did work.

Threat
Also, while I'm not sure the Wayback Machine works like this (in fact, I'm doubtful), there might be some calcs that don't have saved data, or are too new.

Notice
If you get the "uncensored" calc, please remember to update the page(s) that rely on it. And if you can't (because the page is locked, you're in visual editor, or other reasons), please inform someone who can.

If this is already common knowledge, I deeply apologize for wasting your time and forcing alertness to this thread, and it can be de-highlighted immediately.

Thank you for reading, and I hope I did something useful

Eyes Emoji
I've used wayback machine for many profiles before to "fix" the calc links before.

So this is worth bringing up

Js250476 said:
Has anyone saved the Star Wars calcs there? Those would be useful to see
Yeah, I backed up the Slave I laser cannon calc as it helps with a plethora of profiles. I will do the same later with the calcs which are responsible for the Town level+ ratings of some canon Force users and vehicles as well as the 9-A blaster calcs.

Edit: Gotta take care of the Class-A thermal det thing also.

A major concern:

Are you absolutely certain that the Wayback Machine is able to store the current versions of the calculations, and you are not just viewing the versions that Lina Shields and I have backed up long ago for most of the older calculations?

Because I seem to recall trying to store a calc that did not have a backup and receiving the usual error message.

Darkanine's two examples seem to have been saved in November 2016 for example.

Well, unfortunately no. I'm far from certain, actually. As I said in the OP, I'm pretty sure that the calcs done/updated after the lockout remain restricted.

Yes. I checked, and the Pyron speed calculation backup that Cal mentioned in the first post was from May 2016. It is a previous backup that I or Lina made: https://web.archive.org/web/2016050...ms.com/xfa-blog-entry/pyron-speed-calc.15137/

As such, if you try to save calculations without previous backups, all that you will end up with is a saved error message.

We will still have to handle the Narutoforums calculations replacement project via a mixture of using previous Wayback Machine backups for the links tat have been here longer, and copying the other calculations into blog posts here (while giving full credit to the original calcers).

Back