• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, we have to.

Anyways, to summarize staff's opinions on this thread:

3 staff are neutral on deleting Cena.

5 staff disagree with the removal of Cena.

2 staff are neutral on The Rock and Randy Orton.

@Mr._Bambu disagrees with keeping the following wrestlers:

Jay White
MJF
Stone Cold
Johnny Gargano
Randy Orton
Updated this.

5 staff members now disagree with the removal of John Cena.

My opinion on this is mostly the same as it was before.

What I think is really important here is that we can draw a clear line between "the wrestler" and "the actor". I do acknowledge that story relevance is a reason why we would want to keep a character on the wiki, but if we can't clearly define what aspects of their character are their wrestling persona and what parts of them are just a part of their IRL self, then our profiles for them are inherently going to be unreliable. I don't think we should be making unreliable profiles just because a character is significant to the fictional work.

While this does put a wrench in the works for characters like John Cena, who use the same name as their IRL counterparts, I don't mean for this to be taken as an argument that we can't keep any characters who share names with their actors. This fact may complicate things, but from what I am hearing in this thread, there is a strong division between the depictions of "John Cena, the wrestler" and his IRL self. I really don't mind keeping his profile as long as we don't get confused about which is which when trying to, say, find feats or statements to index on his profile. If we can do that, then as far as I'm concerned, it's not meaningfully different from indexing any other fictional character.

With what people have said so far, this sounds entirely doable. I'd be willing to say we can keep the profile for now and, if unforeseen complications arise in the long-run, we can bring this topic back up.
This seems to make sense to me.

Almost certainly enough, I think, to outvote me. You may take that as a victory.

If others aren't contending with the less controversial figures I've mentioned then while Cena remains, those remain in the "deletion" category, I believe.

Almost certainly enough, I think, to outvote me. You may take that as a victory.

If others aren't contending with the less controversial figures I've mentioned then while Cena remains, those remain in the "deletion" category, I believe.
We've explained how Randy Orton's and Jay White's stage persona is completely different from their IRL selves.

@DemonicDude just needs to determine whether or not Jay plays a strong role in the narrative in NJPW.

I think I can make a very solid case for Randy Orton, though.

Brock Lesnar is fine to stay too, I think, same with MJF.
Eh, both Brock and MJF kinda play exaggerated versions of their IRL selves, which is a big no no.

I mean, there's hardly a difference between WWE Brock and UFC Brock. It's somewhat noticeable, but not distinct enough to where you can easily tell the difference between the two.

MJF just acts like a ******** because IRL he's a ******** (according to the source that was given to me).

Despite Bambu's grievances with some of the characters in the spared category, it seems the majority of staff agree with everything I proposed in the OP. We also were able to keep John Cena, too.

I think we can finally reach a compromise, unless I missed anything of course.

Despite Bambu's grievances with some of the characters in the spared category, it seems the majority of staff agree with everything I proposed in the OP. We also were able to keep John Cena, too.

Any objections?

Most staff haven't even spoken on the objections, just John Cena.

Most staff haven't even spoken on the objections, just John Cena.
They haven't spoken on the objections because they're not knowledgeable enough to do so.

I think he's referring to stuff like commercials.

However, he's wrong, as WWE owns the rights to characters' names, theme song, nicknames, gimmick, etc.

It quite literally states it here. This page was created by wwe.com, so it's for sure a reliable website.
You haven't responded to this, where the link I shared implies that the WWE own to the characters' names.

They haven't spoken on the objections because they're not knowledgeable enough to do so.

You haven't responded to this, where the link I shared implies that the WWE own to the characters' names.
If there's no objections to my objections, which are just pointing out that those profiles break the rules we wrote for this situation, then they stand.

I don't really care if the WWE licensed their names for merch, it's still the same name they have IRL which falls under the "blurring reality-fiction" rules we wrote- in fact that was the basis for that rule.

Story relevance may contribute to exceptions yeah, so maybe John Cena is alright.
Well, since story relevance can contribute to exceptions, then Randy Orton is definitely fine to stay. By far one of the most significant characters we have currently on the wiki.

I've already shown in the OP how there's a huge difference in Randy Orton the character, and Randal Orton, the person.

Well, since story relevance can contribute to exceptions, then Randy Orton is definitely fine to stay. By far one of the most significant characters we have currently on the wiki.

I've already shown in the OP how there's a huge difference in Randy Orton the character, and Randal Orton, the person.
Any staff got a response to this?

Want mine lol?

If you want, I can go in further detail about how significant Orton is to the WWE, since you seem very adamant about deleting him.

If you want, I can go in further detail about how significant Orton is to the WWE, since you seem very adamant about deleting him.
I don't feel importance matters if they otherwise violate the rules written to handle all this.

I think the naming argument is stupid to be honest, and it doesn't change the fact that these guys are still just characters unrelated to their real life counterparts.

Oh, God forgive those who were not creative enough to come up with a completely different name to satisfy such arbitrary rules.

By the way, you can change my opinion on Rock to be Neutral as well, since he considers that name to be part of his WWE career, and something he has left behind.

And agreeing with the OP obviously means I also agree with keeping Randy Orton, never was a fan of him as he was usually the villain, but I can't deny the huge importance of his character, and how well he played it, certainly one of WWE's best.

Well, most of the other staff in this thread think the opposite.
I'm aware of that, at least insofar as the most notable wrestlers (John Cena). Whether they would draw the same conclusions as you is yet to be seen since the vast majority of vote-capable staff have absconded since the John Cena debate. I stuck around coz while I didn't start this hell-debate, I will be here when it fails. Seems the right thing to do, y'know?

Shii, this going nowhere, no one is getting deleted at this point
If this is going nowhere, then the verse is going to stay stagnant indefinitely until it concludes.

I don't even know what's left to do in this thread. Basically all of the staff reached a consensus.

Which staff members think what here so far?

I mean, I guess we can go ahead and delete the profiles that were getting purged.

Here are all of the profiles that need to be purged.

Staff can delete these anytime they want. I don't think there are any objections to these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back