• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not seeing a difference between Ellsworth and Theory. I'd honestly argue being a major title contender for the WWE championship > Being a mid-card title holder.

Still not seeing a difference between Ellsworth and Theory. I'd honestly argue being a major title contender for the WWE championship > Being a mid-card title holder.
Theory plays a much bigger role in the narrative than Ellsworth.

Theory's a prominent character that shows up on a weekly basis, and is arguably a main event talent, despite only holding a mid-card title.

Ellsworth got a title shot off of straight luck if memory serves me right, and after that, he served little purpose in the ongoing narrative in the verse.

Being a one-time title contender for the WWE championship isn't better than being a mid-card champion who main events shows against the top stars in the roster on a damn near daily basis.

If I find time I will upload the epic MJF promo link on his profile as well.
His mic work and mind games are on Jericho's level guy is a freaking god tier on mic.

Well
MJF, or Maxwell Jacob Friedman, is known for his heel character, which is a villain who the audience loves to hate. MJF is a master of trash talk and has a knack for getting under the skin of his opponents.
  • MJF is his ring name which is a nice reference to his real life name in Maxwell Jacob Friedman (Different)
  • MJF is able to convincingly portray his character as a spoiled rich kid who thinks he is better than everyone else
  • He plays heel in both real life and is one of he only few people who would never EVER leave his charater no even on Twittter and inerviews.
It's a character, highly exaggerated version of himself.

Then it's better to remove him, It's difficult to make arguments for someone who play exaggerated versions of themselves. The reason why The Rock might get a pass is cause he had different carreer stages with different characters.

Well
MJF, or Maxwell Jacob Friedman, is known for his heel character, which is a villain who the audience loves to hate. MJF is a master of trash talk and has a knack for getting under the skin of his opponents.
  • MJF is his ring name which is a nice reference to his real life name in Maxwell Jacob Friedman (Different)
  • MJF is able to convincingly portray his character as a spoiled rich kid who thinks he is better than everyone else
  • He plays heel in both real life and is one of he only few people who would never EVER leave his charater no even on Twittter and inerviews.
It's a character, highly exaggerated version of himself.
Being referred to by his initials does not display a departure from his real life name. The description you're giving for the man make him a prime option for deletion.

Then it's better to remove him, It's difficult to make arguments for someone who play exaggerated versions of themselves. The reason why The Rock might get a pass is cause he had different carreer stages with different characters.
Unfortunately, we have to.

Anyways, to summarize staff's opinions on this thread:

3 staff are neutral on deleting Cena.

5 staff disagree with the removal of Cena.

2 staff are neutral on The Rock and Randy Orton.

@Mr._Bambu disagrees with keeping the following wrestlers:

Jay White
MJF
Stone Cold
Johnny Gargano
Randy Orton

We've waited for quite a few days, and the thread's stayed stagnant, so hopefully we can conclude this purge. I have a few plans for the verse after this.

Last edited:
Staff don't like IRL name being used.
Jay White is his stage name, Jamie White being his real name
however, Jay White is a completely different character.
In wresling he is called The Switchblade Jay White, A villain who stabs people in the back and responsible for breaking up several teams and turning people against each other.
I don't need to write a long essay on his character, First off it's very imporant to Bullet Club (Current), I was viewing his theme song and found a youtube comment which sums up his character.
Sauce_1078.jpg

The right word I could use to describe this would be "Devil's advocate" and this along with his characteristic and mind manipulation/Social influencing he does makes his villain different.
John Cena carries the name Cena too but the thing is he is single endedly responsible for kick Kenny Omega out of NJPW and almost ending Bulle Club so there is a legacy there along with the Knife carrying character he plays. He carries absolute zero characteristic from real life and is frequently referred to as The Switchblade and if one part of the name is reaaaally that troubling then just call him "The Switchblade" which is his main character.

I agree with the OP.

Even though it goes against stage persona rules I still disagree with the removal of Cena, Austin, Orton, and Lesnar as they're all incredibly important to the WWE's lore (Though I do think Lesnar's reasonings make sense)

I however disagree with the Rock's removal. Though he still uses the name for his social accounts, Dwayne Johnson has pretty much disconnected himself from the Rock in recent years. The last time he actually wrestled was in 2016 and even then it was just a squash match that lasted no longer than an attosecond. And in a Q&A (I don't remember which company he did it with) he even went as far as to view his wrestling days as a "past life" implying that he's completely moved on from WWE and now only focuses on his Hollywood career.

I agree with the OP.

Even though it goes against stage persona rules I still disagree with the removal of Cena, Austin, Orton, and Lesnar as they're all incredibly important to the WWE's lore (Though I do think Lesnar's reasonings make sense)

I however disagree with the Rock's removal. Though he still uses the name for his social accounts, Dwayne Johnson has pretty much disconnected himself from the Rock in recent years. The last time he actually wrestled was in 2016 and even then it was just a squash match that lasted no longer than an attosecond. And in a Q&A (I don't remember which company he did it with) he even went as far as to view his wrestling days as a "past life" implying that he's completely moved on from WWE and now only focuses on his Hollywood career.
He even considers his nickname as "The Rock" to be something of his WWE career and prefers to be called by his real name. "The Rock" is just a name that will never really leave him even if he doesn't play the part anymore.

****-

What's his character again?
Off the top of my head, his character is fairly similar to Lesnar's albeit a bit tamer. To add salt on the wound, he uses his real surname, and in WCW he originally went by the name 'Bill Goldberg' with Bill just being a nickname for William, which is also his real first name.

With that in mind, there's a good chance that he's gonna have to be removed too.

I was just realized now with the new stage persona that we're never gonna see profiles of Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, possibly Randy Savage, Ted DiBiase, Eddie Guerrero, Cody Rhodes, The Hardy Boyz, Shinsuke Nakamura, Mark Henry, Mr. McMahon, and Daniel Bryan on this wiki

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, his character is fairly similar to Lesnar's albeit a bit tamer. To add salt on the wound, he uses his real surname, and in WCW he originally went by the name 'Bill Goldberg' with Bill just being a nickname for William, which is also his real first name.

With that in mind, there's a good chance that he's gonna have to be removed too.

I was just realized now with the new stage persona that we're never gonna see profiles of Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, possibly Randy Savage, Ted DiBiase, Eddie Guerrero, Cody Rhodes, The Hardy Boyz, Shinsuke Nakamura, Mark Henry, and Daniel Bryan on this wiki

I feel like this is a good educational video.

I asked people if they feel exceptions should be made for "story relevance", since that is the argument for keeping these individuals who use the same names as they do in real life, which was the basis for the bit about separating reality from fiction. None have really commented on that.

I do of course think we should not give the exception to the rule we just penned with this verse in mind.

I'll ping what staff I remember taking part in this discussion.

@Antvasima @DarkGrath @Qawsedf234 @DarkDragonMedeus @Deagonx

For Grath, I remember your vote hinging on whether using names is a creative choice: the users defending that position offered an argument for that earlier up in the thread, make of it what you will.

What media?
I think he's referring to stuff like commercials.

However, he's wrong, as WWE owns the rights to characters' names, theme song, nicknames, gimmick, etc.

It quite literally states it here. This page was created by wwe.com, so it's for sure a reliable website.

I'd like to clarify that I'm not sure if Bambu is referring to commercials, but that's the first thing that came to my mind.

My opinion on this is mostly the same as it was before.

What I think is really important here is that we can draw a clear line between "the wrestler" and "the actor". I do acknowledge that story relevance is a reason why we would want to keep a character on the wiki, but if we can't clearly define what aspects of their character are their wrestling persona and what parts of them are just a part of their IRL self, then our profiles for them are inherently going to be unreliable. I don't think we should be making unreliable profiles just because a character is significant to the fictional work.

While this does put a wrench in the works for characters like John Cena, who use the same name as their IRL counterparts, I don't mean for this to be taken as an argument that we can't keep any characters who share names with their actors. This fact may complicate things, but from what I am hearing in this thread, there is a strong division between the depictions of "John Cena, the wrestler" and his IRL self. I really don't mind keeping his profile as long as we don't get confused about which is which when trying to, say, find feats or statements to index on his profile. If we can do that, then as far as I'm concerned, it's not meaningfully different from indexing any other fictional character.

With what people have said so far, this sounds entirely doable. I'd be willing to say we can keep the profile for now and, if unforeseen complications arise in the long-run, we can bring this topic back up.

Story relevance may contribute to exceptions yeah, so maybe John Cena is alright.
My opinion on this is mostly the same as it was before.

What I think is really important here is that we can draw a clear line between "the wrestler" and "the actor". I do acknowledge that story relevance is a reason why we would want to keep a character on the wiki, but if we can't clearly define what aspects of their character are their wrestling persona and what parts of them are just a part of their IRL self, then our profiles for them are inherently going to be unreliable. I don't think we should be making unreliable profiles just because a character is significant to the fictional work.

While this does put a wrench in the works for characters like John Cena, who use the same name as their IRL counterparts, I don't mean for this to be taken as an argument that we can't keep any characters who share names with their actors. This fact may complicate things, but from what I am hearing in this thread, there is a strong division between the depictions of "John Cena, the wrestler" and his IRL self. I really don't mind keeping his profile as long as we don't get confused about which is which when trying to, say, find feats or statements to index on his profile. If we can do that, then as far as I'm concerned, it's not meaningfully different from indexing any other fictional character.

With what people have said so far, this sounds entirely doable. I'd be willing to say we can keep the profile for now and, if unforeseen complications arise in the long-run, we can bring this topic back up.
And with that, we have now 2 more staff members who disagree with removing Cena.

@azontr, you're dreams' coming true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back