• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Stanley Parable: Narrator Upgrade

Not sure on this one, the "stars" seem to be just white dots, given they move in weird ways, and they do seem to be just floating white dots when you come closer to them, but i could be wrong

I agree that this is most likely just a planetarium or some sort of space themed design instead.

Same here.

Though, is there any reasons to think that the story made by the Narrator is that different from our world? Seems weird that there would only be a city.

It is explicity refered as a simply game / story by The Narrator himself, and there is a point where you can pass through a window, and after that, it is shown that everything outside of the building is just a blank space, which implies The Game World doesn't contain much stuff other than the building complex, the landscape and the implied city

I was thinking about that. If not 4-A, then perhaps High 7-A to 6-C?

Plus the clouds in the sky also mean something to. At minimum, clouds are 200 km high in the air. That should mean something for the radius of the "game".

@Matt

These were likely just created by The Narrator specifically for the ending itself, given the fact that there is nothing but blank space outside of the building before that

@Arbitrary

This seems fine, given he most likely created the space around / above the mountains

Just edited my comment.

I think the clouds should mean something for the radius of the "Game". Clouds are at minimum 200 km high in the air.

Or the fact that there's sunlight at all could suggest there is a sun, thus making the game 4-B in size.

I'm.... Not sure on this one either, the fact that there is sunlight seems too vague to assume there is a sun, and it could be simply Light Manipulation on a really large scale

Unless theirs a visible/mentioned sun, we can't just there is one I'm afraid. Like Ultima said, it could just be Light Manipulation.

If there is a visible/mentioned sun, High 4-C may be in order.

The problem with that is that his feats are so vauge, and he could be so much higher, it makes giving him an acurate rating nigh-impossible.

They aren't vague, the whole game is said to be a story written by him multiple times, hence the "likely far higher" on his page

Well, it can contain a landscape with mountains, a complex of buildings, and it is implied it can contain a city

"Implied it can contain a city"

How do we know that's not just a hollow back drop. The stanley parable is, cannonically, a video game.

"Mountains"

Same.

"A complex of buildings"

How many?

So... You are saying that they may be just false backgrounds?

If so, why assume that? We should just go by what is seen, and we clearly see a landscape with mountains in the Freedom Ending, and the whole context of the Insanity Ending implies the game can contain a city

What's so wrong about making assumptions like this? They're not huge assumptions that require leaps of faith or anything.

So what if it's a backdrop? Backdrops are meant to build setting and environment, so if it's there, then it's there. There's no reason reason to assume it's just a painted wall unless there is any indication of it being such, like in Dynamite Headdy where everything is essentially taking place on a stage with cheap wooden props forming the setting.

That is not the case here, as there are no nails or gaps in the background indicating painted tiles or walls, and we don't see wooden framing everywhere supporting fake terrain. Asking "what if it's a backdrop" is being way too skeptical, it's like questioning a building level feat due to the possibility that it could simply be made of colored styrofoam and papier mache.

And if it contains a complex of buildings as well as mountains and a large amount of terrain, then it's pretty safe to assume that it contains an entire civilization and then some at bare minimum, which would at least be around City level in range.

Plus there's also the cloud thing I mentioned earlier; the lowest clouds can range from 200 to 4000 kilometers high. That should mean something for the radius of the "Game".

I do recall that we're allowed to use explosion yield calculations for reality warping and creating dimensions and stuff, so if we apply that here into the airburst radius formula...

200 kilometers:

((200/0.28)^3)/1000 * .5 = 182215.74344 Megatons or 182 Gigatons - Large Island level.

((4000/0.28)^3)/1000 * .5 = 1,457,725,947.52 Megatons or 1.45 Petatons - Continent level+.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
1.45 Teratons - Continent level+.
What?

But that's besides the point.

Another thing is, how do we know it just stops at the clouds?

Another problem is the contradictions each ending gives us. In one the narorator is a normal human telling the story of an insane man named Stanley (Death of a man named stanley), in another his an unstopable god who controls many diffrent timelines (Explosion ending).

That's why I think unknown is more acurate.

Again, he states numerous times the whole game is just a story written by him, the "Death of a Man Named Stanley" Ending, along with all endings, are most likely some of the several versions of the story he mentions in the Explosion Ending

Let's say that is true.

What about the museum ending?

In it a sort of super narrrator appears. She refrences the player, and how he fights against the narrator. Also, there is a museum of all the diffrent endings.

Plus the page itself states that he can fall victim to the enviroment, such as in the confusion ending.

The Narrator being limited by The Plot / Environment is most likely just him pretending he is, it wouldn't make any sense for him to be limited by the plot of a story / game he wrote / programmed by himself

Also, the whole point of the story is the narrator doesn't have as much control over the story as he likes to belive.

The last paragraph of his summary says he is the responsible for everything in the game, i thought people would interpret as it just pretending stuff...... (I really need to work on my wording... u___u)

How do we know he is responsible. Even of where almost 100% sure, there are contradictions. And why would he put himself through so much torture if he truly controlled the game?

@Arda

Again... It is said, multiple times, that the game is a story written by The Narrator

If you want to throw my story off track, you're going to have to do much better than that. I'm afraid you don't have nearly the power you think you do; for example, and I believe you'll find this pertinent
Of course, that was merely in this instance of the story. Sometimes when I tell it, I simply let you sit there in your office forever, pushing buttons endlessly and then dying alone. Other times, I let the office sink into the ground, swallowing everyone inside; or I let it burn to a crisp.
^ The above outright says the whole game is a story written by him, and there are multiple instances of the story, all of them created by him, with the endings being implied as being some of the instances

You see? There's nothing here. I haven't even finished building this section of the map, because you were never supposed to be in here in the first place. Broken rooms, exposed developer textures... is this what you had wanted? Was it worth ruining the entire story I had written out specifically for you? Do you not think I put a lot of time into that? Because I did. And in the end it was all for nothing, because this is what you wanted to see. Help me here, Stanley, help me elucidate these strange and unknowable desires of yours. What would have made this game better? What did you want to see? Vehicles? Skill trees? Work with me; you've given me absolutely nothing so far.Tell you what, let me take a stab in the dark at a new design, and you can give me some feedback.
^ Anothe statement of the game being The Narrator's story

And before you bring that up, the fact that The Narrator is affected by The Reset caused by Stanley's death in The Suicide / Space Ending contradicts the confusions ending itself, where he restarts the game multiples times and is mostly unnafected by the resets, retaining all of his memories about previous "gameplays". There is also the fact that he is 100% willing to kill Stanley with 0 concerns about himself or anything in The Explosion ending, or the fact that he keeps narrating stuff even after Stanley's death in the "Powerful Ending"

MasterOfArda said:
ArbitraryNumbers said:
1.45 Teratons - Continent level+.
What?
But that's besides the point.

Another thing is, how do we know it just stops at the clouds?
Arguments from incredulity or lack of understanding mean nothing. I explained it in the post; we can use airburst radius formula to calc creating entire pocket realities of particular sizes. The clouds are the bare minimum of it.

We don't know it stops at the clouds. Doesn't mean that the feat is automatically invalid; that's why "At least" is a thing for character rankings.

You're being way too skeptical about this feat. If he created the reality, then he created the reality. And if he controls the story, then he controls the story.

@Ultima

To be fair, the quotes you mentioned seem to imply that it took him a longer period of time to create the game.

Back