• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Revenant Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

I get your meaning, Deagonx. I still disagree on a fundamental level, but I do see the point.

For me, it doesn't sit well that there's tons of live action characters who are like 9-A for some reason or another, yet they even more consistently fail to perform/get harmed by 9-B shit.

One unrelated question, if we are already talking about MCU in Marvel comics discussion thread, do we consider celestials creating a black hole AP and/or durability feat?

I get your meaning, Deagonx. I still disagree on a fundamental level, but I do see the point.

For me, it doesn't sit well that there's tons of live action characters who are like 9-A for some reason or another, yet they even more consistently fail to perform/get harmed by 9-B shit.
Basically this, i do unterstand you Deagon. But i gonna disagree.

I've seen a lot of those interviews. Zach loves ******* with us when it comes to early DCEU Superman's power, ngl.

So every speed feat in the MCU is an outlier? Do you think this is the best way to explain this superhero verse?
No. We have tons of speed feats in the MCU that aren't outliers. Problem is, they just clearly limit almost all of the characters as being only somewhat faster than humans.

By the way, since Galactus' origin was soft retconned by the Ultimates storyline, does his Devourer form have a multiversal body akin to all the other Abstracts?

No. We have tons of speed feats in the MCU that aren't outliers. Problem is, they just clearly limit almost all of the characters as being only somewhat faster than humans.
Ah that way, my opinion is the same as the other guys tbh, I see where you're coming from, but nah.

I don't expect to change the hearts and minds of the whole forum. I am not invested enough in MCU profiles to set out for changing it, it's just my opinion that it's one of the more egregious examples of bad speed stats on the site.

I also think we're trying to have our cake and eat it to, because we have a number of speed calcs which rely upon assuming that the time that passes on screen is accurate, but simultaneously assume that whenever a character like Thanos or anyone that scales to him is on screen, what we're actually seeing is slowed down to 1/1,000,000 of what's actually happening.

Also, I disagree with pretty much everyone under the sun having MHS+ reactions in the MCU. But that's not for this thread.

To me, that seems like a combination of A) the fact that, even in Earth 616, his true body is just pure energy that humans can't perceive properly, and B) all races see him differently when looking at him.

I also think we're trying to have our cake and eat it to, because we have a number of speed calcs which rely upon assuming that the time that passes on screen is accurate, but simultaneously assume that whenever a character like Thanos or anyone that scales to him is on screen, what we're actually seeing is slowed down to 1/1,000,000 of what's actually happening.
That's true. Though usually this approach leads to a lowball.

To me, that seems like a combination of A) the fact that, even in Earth 616, his true body is just pure energy that humans can't perceive properly, and B) all races see him differently when looking at him.
Yeah it's vague. There's also one scan saying Galactus dosen't have dimensions.

I agree about that there is a massive inconsistency for Marvel Comics and Marvel Cinematic Universe characters regarding how their speed levels are treated.

On the one hand they are usually not even treated as casual bullet-timers, and are easily blitzed by speedsters who are less than or not significantly above the speed of light, and on the other they can fly at Massively FTL+ speeds through outer space, and recurrently dodge asteroid fields and similar in the process.

on the other they can fly at Massively FTL+ speeds through outer space
I'm usually comfortable handwaving that via a delineation between travel speed and combat speed, even if its a little wonky it is within the limits of plausible deniability. Relativistic MCU Doctor Strange, however, is not. At least for me personally.

It's Earth-20051.

I wonder how different each Galactus is. He died of starvation in Marvel Ruins, and was devoured in Marvel Zombies.

Spider-Man and the Secret Wars is not compatible with regular continuity as far as I recall, and was part of a series of other miniseries that were even more blatantly not a part of regular continuity.
Galactus exists in every universe and layer of existence, so i don't think that's a problem though.

In that instance, it's stated that Galactus is just among the other powerful entities that use M-Bodies because they're too busy to show up directly.
That is correct, yes. Mark Gruenwald's late 1980s to mid 1990s version of Galactus and the Celestials were purely physical beings, rather than abstract forces of nature as far as I am aware.

That is correct, yes. Mark Gruenwald's early to mid 1990s version of Galactus and the Celestials were purely physical beings, rather than abstract forces of nature as far as I am aware.
That's not exactly how M-Bodies were portrayed by them, though.

In fact, I don't recall any instance outside the handbook where it's stated that M-Bodies are why infinite numbers of Abstracts exist in infinite dimensions. This notion is even contradicted by TLT's battle with the Beyonders.

In Quasar, there's shown to be multiple different versions of the 616 abstracts alone in different points of subjective time, such as catatonic Eternity and the one that overlooked Adam Warlock's confrontation.
that's what I mean, the other Galactus are just M Body
Not necessarily. They're separated from the ones that explicitly do, so we can't be sure.

I meant that they were explicitly stated to be physical beings, not abstract forces, back in those days. It was changed in later versions of the Marvel Comics continuity.

I don't recall anything explicit for anyone except The Stranger, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if certain writers did (especially given how Jim Starlin wrote him in certain Thanos comic lines).

But, he is unapologetically portrayed as closer to an abstract in 80s Fantastic Four runs and the Infinity Saga.

I thought that it was mentioned in Gruenwald's Quasar comic book run.

I don't think there's anything explicit, and, IIRC, some of those same statements applied to Eon.

But, I could be wrong. I've been doing a lot of research recently and not enough note keeping.

Back