• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Problems With The Size Of SpongeBob Characters

Professor_Voodoo

Joke Battles
Administrator
So this is a tricky one. Yes, the SpongeBob characters are considered small. But there are huge inconsistencies with the size as compared to humans. Characters like David Hasselhoff and the "Cyclops" absolutely tower over them in the movies. But in most episodes, they're portrayed as near equal size with humans like Mermaid Man, Barnacle Boy, and the I.J.L.S.A.

And besides, any semblance of realism the show had kinda died with Season 4 onwards. I think it should be up to the poster to decide how to interpet the size of the characters in a VS debate.

Feel free to discuss. I have time on my hands...

I feel like size manipulation should kinda be described as one of their abilities, and that unless in the episode specifically they're shown to be human sized, then it should be assumed they're small.

Edit: Or should it be the other way around? (Because they're more often human sized than not)

Skodwarde The Almighty said:
Yeah. They only seem to be really dwarved by humans in the movies...
That's exactly what I say to most people.

But they never listen to the point where I need to pull out the Nicktoons games for additional proof.

I've always just tried using a size somewhere between to be fair, but I'm certain SpongeBob is somewhere around human sized. Probably around the size of a 14 year old.

420Swagnemite said:
It various
That's the thing though. It actually doesn't vary. In pretty much every episode they are depicted as human sized. The only times it has ever varied is in the movies. So I think it's pretty fair to say that SpongeBob and Co. should be treated as human sized.

They are also depicted as smaller on various occasions. Let me give a few spontaneous examples:

• In episode 1c Sandys species is officially defined as a land squirrel. As such her size should also be equivalent to one. Sandy is at various occasions also depicted as real life squirrel, for example in episode 18a. That gets further proven in episode 40b, in which you can see sandy being compared to a real life bull and worm.
  • Wildlife: Worms, jellyfish, mussels and snails are depicted as animals of an size equal to cats and dogs for us.
  • Plankton is of recognizable size.
  • Spongebob lives in a pineapple.
  • In episode 15b Spongebob and Patrick get compared to the size of a real life human hand. They are also depicted as a real life kitchen sponge and a real life starfish. I think there are other episodes with the same comparison.
  • Spongebob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs and Squidward are shown in unanimated depictions in episode 32a. Spongebob is again demonstrated to be a real life kitchen sponge and patrick a real life starfish. They can also be compared to a more realistic depiction of seagulls on that occasion.
So saying their size is consistent is wrong.

I said their size was inconsistent. It's a YMMV case with these guys. And i think it should be left up to the poster to specify the size of the characters. High end or low end?

Skodwarde The Almighty said:
I said their size was inconsistent. It's a YMMV case with these guys. And i think it should be left up to the poster to specify the size of the characters. High end or low end?
I'm a little biased so I'd go for the high end.

But I think a fair way to do it is that we could display both the possible high ends and low ends for each character.

Well, as I mentioned in a Spongegbob discussion before I have no idea if the usual hard regulations should be imposed on comedy non-combat focussed verses. Given that it should downgrade pretty much every feat to Tier 10 one might as well spares oneself the work of inserting an extra line on every character profile and just write on the verse page that all stats are made under the assumption of human sized characters, even through that is not necessarily true.

Which goes back to my original point. They're either dwarfed by humans or are on more or less equal size(Squidward maybe being taller at times). It's very tricky when one deals with something that throws most logic out the window, and really doesn't give much way to canonicity.

Back