• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The now overdue Calebcity profile creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone specifically in mind
Iunno, I've messaged a few other admins just to be sure, I've got no issue with the profile myself but seeing as this page caused a lot of issues back in the day it would be best to have the general staff weigh in before this gets made, so we dont have a repeat of last time

Iunno, I've messaged a few other admins just to be sure, I've got no issue with the profile myself but seeing as this page caused a lot of issues back in the day it would be best to have the general staff weigh in before this gets made, so we dont have a repeat of last time
Fair but please let them know to actually to check the note on the profile so they can best give any kind of evaluation

And yes, I've seen the note. It's just taking self aware jokes at face value, including one where the entire joke is that the entire sequence makes absolutely no sense and is just there to include several twists and turns.

It doesn't justify this profile's existence.

Well I don't really have time to argue it en anyways but I'll ping @GeliumE to see if they respond

Sorry to be the antithesis of fun, but I don't think we should allow this profile; at least not in the state it is currently in. Merging all of Caleb's roles into one character profile is on the same level as merging every Chuck Norris role into one character.

If this kind of profile is even allowed, it should not be an amalgamation of characters and instead should be split up into individual profiles for individual "characters".

Sorry to be the antithesis of fun, but I don't think we should allow this profile; at least not in the state it is currently in. Merging all of Caleb's roles into one character profile is on the same level as merging every Chuck Norris role into one character.

If this kind of profile is even allowed, it should not be an amalgamation of characters and instead should be split up into individual profiles for individual "characters".
Sir Ovens he literally states and infers multiples times that they are all himself.

Why exactly is it not okay to merge them?

I'll just put this here,
There's better arguments out there for bringing Caleb back in the wiki but I might as well address this portion of his "compositeness".

The clones serve more as a supporting justification. It's there to explain that it "could" be one of the reasons why he's every character, not the main reason. Plus, we have cases in fiction where a character fights and kills perfect clones of themselves so brutally killing your clones is nothing new. Hell there's even videos where Caleb fights against himself while both have the same playing field, but one of them still gets killed or injured in the end. Along with this, multiple Caleb's on screen at once that doesn't dispel. But in the end, this whole thing is the reason why he has a Varies tier.

Also, the whole video didn't seem like a joke to me. The video had a far serious tone compared to 99% of his videos. He seemed really serious about the fact that he was losing ideas so treating it as a "joke" is just missing the point, it should explain a part of the narrative of his universe. Treat the video as if he's an in-universe character uploading videos to his Youtube channel in his fictional universe. And no, the argument that his videos take place in the Real World doesn't work here, especially when in the same video he just casually has a device lying around that can peer into alternate realities anytime he wants.

I guess a similar example would be someone like Monika who exists in her universe but her Twitter posts translates to our world, which is used as a justification for her High-Godly regen but in this case, it's Caleb uploading videos from his universe to our world.

Well the point is he's canonically all of the characters that's what the note is explaining
And yes, I've seen the note. It's just taking self aware jokes at face value, including one where the entire joke is that the entire sequence makes absolutely no sense and is just there to include several twists and turns.

It doesn't justify this profile's existence.
Also isn't that exact thing you're explaining the literal point of the skits these videos aren't exactly deep in a way where caleb wouldn't put these at face value without it being just that

In like a meta way or in-character way?
I think where the disconnect here is that y'all are taking this like its some kinda anime or comic series. There's not really a "meta way" all of the shit here is absolutely to be taken at face value caleb isn't here establishing some meta commentary or several layers deep message if he consistently calls out the fact that he's playing all of these characters and that these skits are just caleb being different people then its just that.

Like its pretty blatant but apparently blatant enough for yall to question if its trying to be meta or deeper when its literally meant to be taken at face value

In like a meta way or in-character way?
Or, as I think he means, in the "this is just us breaking the fourth wall to acknowledge that we're played by the same actor in each video" or "we acknowledge that we're LITERALLY the same person in-universe" ways.

AKA is it just a meta-joke or is it actually important to the over-arching lore?

Yeah but is it a character or a person playing these roles? Where is the line between fictional narrative and real world commentary drawn?

Yeah but is it a character or a person playing these roles? Where is the line between fictional narrative and real world commentary drawn?
It's literally the character caleb playing all of these roles in universe, I mean there's several videos linked on the note that show that, like I've been trying to say this isn't the kind of thing that's really meant to be taken as some deeper meaning

Or, as I think he means, in the "this is just us breaking the fourth wall to acknowledge that we're played by the same actor in each video" or "we acknowledge that we're LITERALLY the same person in-universe" ways.
Both of these would be the same in the context of Caleb's videos.

He's a meta 4th Wall character, and what he says does canonically apply to his universe because of it.

He mentions multiple times that he is the same person, and even says he "likes talking to himself."

His videos are just him doing stuff with himself to portray ideas he has in his own separate reality.

Considering there is no actual over arching lore that connects multiple videos...
I wouldn't really know, I haven't watched the channel religiously.

I'm neutral but leaning toward disagree based on what I know about Caleb's content.

Considering there is no actual over arching lore that connects multiple videos...
There doesn't need to be.

Also, there is some very clear references from one video to next sometimes.

For example, take the series on "Superhuman Interview" which has 3 installments centered around the same interviewer and even has multiple appearances of the Time Loop character.

Then, there is also the time in his "Op Swordsmen in Anime" video where the Time Loop character appears again despite this being a completely different video.

This would suggest that while there may not be some intricate, overarching lore and story, they are indeed all in the same universe.

He literally watched his own videos as alternate realities in one video and there are some videos that still make direct callbacks to others

Its literally right on the note which you're saying shouldn't be taken at face value when that's literally the point is that its blatantly him watching his videos

Yeah I mean Caleb’s videos are more akin to slice of life than some big narrative story. It’s closer to something like the Simpsons or Family Guy where each episode doesn’t really need to have anything to do with the last.

He literally watched his own videos as alternate realities in one video and there are some videos that still make direct callbacks to others

Its literally right on the note which you're saying shouldn't be taken at face value when that's literally the point is that its blatantly him watching his videos
That suggests that his videos exist, not that there is a single character across every single skit and thus he should be entirely composited to have a wall of abilities

There doesn't need to be.

Also, there is some very clear references from one video to next sometimes.

For example, take the series on "Superhuman Interview" which has 3 installments centered around the same interviewer and even has multiple appearances of the Time Loop character.

Then, there is also the time in his "Op Swordsmen in Anime" video where the Time Loop character appears again despite this being a completely different video.

This would suggest that while there may not be some intricate, overarching lore and story, they are indeed all in the same universe.
Literally stuff like this too, it doesn't even need to be some major reference or loredrop because that's not how these videos function.

And even with that in mind these are absolutely a series with even amazon having calebcity as a series with defined season at that

That suggests that his videos exist, not that there is a single character across every single skit and thus he should be entirely composited to have a wall of abilities
Yeah that's why there's multiple sources and points in that note its not just 1 thing as justification go brrr.

Yeah that's why there's multiple sources and points in that note its not just 1 thing as justification go brrr.
Like the video where the entire punchline is that they're randomly throwing out nonsensical plot twists to keep viewership?

Or how he says "he loves talking to himself" in a scene where he is, to his knowledge, entirely alone in the room (not even the normal alone of being an entire universe of characters, he's just the only guy there before someone teleports in)?

Or how he says "he loves talking to himself" in a scene where he is, to his knowledge, entirely alone in the room (not even the normal alone of being an entire universe of characters, he's just the only guy there before someone teleports in)?
With that someone a second later literally saying he's him

Because in that specific context, he time traveled and thus they did in fact have another version of themselves in the same location

Actually, another thing about the parallel universes skit is that it involves actual other people acting besides him, with absolutely no commentary on that fact.

Because in that specific context, he time traveled and thus they did in fact have another version of themselves in the same location

Actually, another thing about the parallel universes skit is that it involves actual other people acting besides him, with absolutely no commentary on that fact.
And so do two earlier calebcity videos with those being the only one's where people other them himself are present in the city, its never stated Caleb is quite literally the only single person in the city after all he just acts out the other calebs like there being people there who aren't caleb and doesn't contradict the calebs being himself

Skimming over the discussion I'm neutral to the idea of using every version of Caleb. But conceptually I agree to having this profile. We need more profiles like this. Characters like this are severely underrated on this wiki. (please someone make scott the woz i dont have the time to do it myself) and deserve recognition

No one I hope since that can end up nuking the profile if its acknowledged and he does anything intentionally scaling wise after
I doubt Caleb would care to do intentional scaling stuff nor care much about a profile on a battle board about him.

But it would be cool if he somehow did acknowledge it publically. Prolly won't happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back