• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Nightmare Before CRT-Mas

DimeUhDozen

She/Her

Canonicity

We do have a good ruling about video games not being canon to the source material and in terms of licensed games like the ones that Disney Interactive pumped out in the 2000s, that is fairly true. However, we do have some official sources backing up the claim that Oogie's Revenge and The Pumpkin King are indeed canon to the storyline of Nightmare.

Game Director Masato Yoshino, states this in an interview:

Capcom and Buena Vista Games worked together and spent a long period of time to develop a storyline that accurately reflects the property in order to preserve the world created by the movie.

We set the time as one year after the original film story to allow the fans to engage in the world of the game smoothly, while at the same time we tried to create a standalone story which is comprehensive enough for people who have not seen the film. We hope the players enjoy Jack's new adventure on the Christmas night a year after the movie.

This evidence states that clearly time and effort was taken into preserving continuity within the canon of the film. But if that's not enough, Tim Burton himself was a creative consultant on the project.

How involved – if at all – was Nightmare creator Tim Burton in the development process?

We flew for 12 hours carrying a PS2 to England to show the game to Mr. Burton and received detailed advice on various elements, including his signature expression of contrast between light and shadow, character movement and facial expression as well as the world of Nightmare Before Christmas itself. He provided advice on such a wide range of details that we could really feel his love and passion for the film.

As it has been 10 years since the film was released, we didn't expect him to remember every minute detail. However, I knew I was wrong when I saw displays of numerous characters from The Nightmare Before Christmas in his room.

I went into the meeting with the attitude that I was the biggest fan of the film and possibly I love The Nightmare Before Christmas more than even Tim does, only to realize my understanding of the film was shallow and superficial when Tim enthusiastically gave us more conceptual advice rather than bickering over differences in small details.

A prequel game was developed that was complimentary to Oogie's Revenge called The Nightmare Before Christmas: The Pumpkin King. So, I think it would be fair to include this in the canon as well.

Powers & Abilities

From Oogie's Revenge (Sequel)
From Pumpkin King (Prequel)
General Things from the Novelization

Agree: Flashlight237
Disagree
:
Neutral:

Last edited:

Canonicity

We do have a good ruling about video games not being canon to the source material and in terms of licensed games like the ones that Disney Interactive pumped out in the 2000s, that is fairly true. However, we do have some official sources backing up the claim that Oogie's Revenge and The Pumpkin King are indeed canon to the storyline of Nightmare.

Game Director Masato Yoshino, states this in an interview:

This evidence states that clearly time and effort was taken into preserving continuity within the canon of the film. But if that's not enough, Tim Burton himself was a creative consultant on the project.

A prequel game was developed that was complimentary to Oogie's Revenge called The Nightmare Before Christmas: The Pumpkin King. So, I think it would be fair to include this in the canon as well.

IDK our policies on this stuff, so I'll tentatively say the reasoning seems sound.
Powers & Abilities

From Oogie's Revenge (Sequel)
I don't see how this depicts what is described. I see Jack climb up a ladder & jump onto an electric chair.
Description says they're collected from fallen enemies. Are any of the enemies ghosts?
Are those depicted in this?
This might be shapeshifting.

Other than that, no other issues.

Thank you for actually doing this since I couldnt find anything on the canonicity, but before you do anything in regards to new Keys you need new stats, Pumpkin King can be attached to the NbC key so minimum 9-C, and I'd put Oogie's revenge into it's own key on both Jack AND Oogie, who you forgot about.

Thank you for actually doing this since I couldnt find anything on the canonicity, but before you do anything in regards to new Keys you need new stats, Pumpkin King can be attached to the NbC key so minimum 9-C, and I'd put Oogie's revenge into it's own key on both Jack AND Oogie, who you forgot about.
Yes, thank you. I couldn't find any calculations for Oogie's Revenge, but I am fine with it being separated into other keys.

I was planning on tackling Oogie's stuff later since he has some other abilities in that game that he doesn't have in the original. Same as Pumpkin King.

Well then we need someone to calc shit from both games

Cause as it stands NbC did not give me all that much to actually go off of for feats and scaling

Normally having the creator as a creative consultant isn't exactly a sign of canonicity as it usually amounts to just the creator giving pointers to the people involved in the making of whatever media they're working on, but the level of detail Tim Burton went into with little or no argument, along with efforts to make the games work from a timeline perspective without pulling a Silver or a Trunks, should give these two games a pass for canonicity.

Well then we need someone to calc shit from both games

Cause as it stands NbC did not give me all that much to actually go off of for feats and scaling
I dropped some feats in the Calc Requests thread. There's some decent stuff to go off of, especially with the giant Oogie fight. I believe Jack also dodges and takes hits from gunfire in the Finklestein boss fight as well as some electric attacks. Plus the durability needed to take the cloud-length fall after his sleigh was shot down and him being able to destroy some stone structures in the games. The Soul Robber should be capable of some decent LS feats as well. I can send you some of the other stuff I've found later, as I'm not very good with calcs myself.

Normally having the creator as a creative consultant isn't exactly a sign of canonicity as it usually amounts to just the creator giving pointers to the people involved in the making of whatever media they're working on, but the level of detail Tim Burton went into with little or no argument, along with efforts to make the games work from a timeline perspective without pulling a Silver or a Trunks, should give these two games a pass for canonicity.
Alrighty then. Thank you (y)

I dropped some feats in the Calc Requests thread. There's some decent stuff to go off of, especially with the giant Oogie fight. I believe Jack also dodges and takes hits from gunfire in the Finklestein boss fight as well as some electric attacks. Plus the durability needed to take the cloud-length fall after his sleigh was shot down and him being able to destroy some stone structures in the games. The Soul Robber should be capable of some decent LS feats as well. I can send you some of the other stuff I've found later, as I'm not very good with calcs myself.
Why are you using that worthless thread?

Well, one thing I can tell you right off the bat... Here's Jack compared to a headstone: https://prnt.sc/HAuElz1Ua025

That dude ain't normal; Jack looks like he can take on Waluigi in a game of basketball.

If a I'm gonna be blunt, Jack would be 9-B via the calcs for harming those who can harm his durability in the games, so uh...

Kinda do need to get the keys sorted out

Yeah he is. I’ve already made a WIP profile that kind of does that, but honestly like —

His biggest 9-B calc is from the film so the only thing that would change AP wise in the games is the Blue Souls amping his power.

Yeah he is. I’ve already made a WIP profile that kind of does that, but honestly like —

His biggest 9-B calc is from the film so the only thing that would change AP wise in the games is the Blue Souls amping his power.
He never harms anything that can harm him in the film, that only comes from the games.

Which is a game, I was talking about the film exclusively there when I said he never harmed anything that harmed him and noted that he does do so in the games
Why would we separate the keys for Pumpkin King and Nightmare? Nightmare takes place after Pumpkin King with not much change happening in-between and most of his equipment is just optional. Jack doesn’t get stronger or has any physical change in the film. Meanwhile, Oogie’s Revenge takes place over a long journey with Jack getting stronger as a result, which is why I see that getting a key, but PK and Nightmare being locked into one.

Why would we separate the keys for Pumpkin King and Nightmare? Nightmare takes place after Pumpkin King with not much change happening in-between and most of his equipment is just optional. Jack doesn’t get stronger or has any physical change in the film. Meanwhile, Oogie’s Revenge takes place over a long journey with Jack getting stronger as a result, which is why I see that getting a key, but PK and Nightmare being locked into one.
I know lmfao, hence why I noted the difference between the game's and the film in that regard! I never said there'd be 3 keys

Back