• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Loyal Ranger is Free...

Peppersalt43

They/Them
On December 10, @Mariogoods left a comment on "An android is free". It was a monumental achievement to me and during that time, I was feeling great so I decided to entertain it. I wasn't the most knowledgeable on Amphibia though I did remember the gist of it so I just went along and made a story for her. But on that day, I decided I wanted to try something different, try and make something of a story in what is usually a stakeless slice-of-life. Admittedly, it may not be perfect and this ending may not be the best.

But it's a start and hopefully, the future will be a lot better

Today Connor has 28 matches in his profile

Today, so does Marcy

"Oh my gosh, that looks amazing! Based on the padding and brand, I assume they're noise cancelling?" Marcy asked through her phone. She had been spending her time at the backstage talking to Anne and Sasha who are waiting at the other side with their own party which they're currently preparing.

"So you're just gonna be giving a speech before leaving, right?" Anne asked.
"Yup! Rainbow Dash's party was an exception since one of her friends is a party planner" Marcy replied.

"And she can't even help you out for your last day trapped there?" Sasha commented.
"Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's on midterms" the ranger replied before turning around "Oh, I'm being called! Love you two, bye~".

Behind him, Ironwood stood with rows of AK-200 walking behind him in lines, seemingly being positioned in important locations. The two looked around, finding the place relatively well-lit with no signs of fading. Their roses were also withered, presumably due to Charlie making some last-minute preparations.

"Do you have it ready?" Ironwood asked, earning a nod from Marcy as she revealed a revolver from within her cape.
"Managed to get this from a less fortunate timeline. This is the god-killing stuff though I'm not sure if it's the bullets or the gun that's magical, I just tested it" she explained, handing it over to the general "How do you plan on getting close to her, anyway?".

"If I recall correctly, in places Charlie has no control over, she can only see what is in the dark which in-turn allows her to track down blindspots created by individual light carriers. I've put a failsafe to kick Bi-Han out of the AK-200s and hopefully, I'll get a clear shot" the general explained before looking around one last time "Alright, that was nice. Bi-Han should be here by now". The two decided to sit down, a portal appearing a few minutes later with that familiar sickle exiting first, as always...

"The time has arrived and darkness shall finally befall this nightless world. General, if you may?" Noob Saibot greeted, his hand outstretched.
"Remember, on Marcy's signal" Ironwood replied, handing over the control panel.

The two turned their attention to Marcy, the one who will begin this assault... With a sigh, she moved to the front stage, earning an applause from the watchers. She had decided to simply end her time in this realm with a speech to nobody in particular as most of her close friends in this realm are away, at least she thought they were. She stopped at her tracks and shuddered in fear at that sound, that familiar sound. Turning around, she desperately hoped she wouldn't see that series of colors barreling towards her... She couldn't bear to do it, not to her.

"Guess who passed her History 1102 class!" Rainbow Dash greeted, seemingly ignoring Marcy's demeanor.
"R-Rainbow? I thought you're still dealing with midterms?" the ranger asked before quickly stopping, a jolt of pain felt in her chest.

"Well, I already had the superspeed. And with some time management classes, I'm never unprepared for anything" the blue human explained before quickly embracing Marcy to a hug "Congratulations! I knew you could've done it!".
"Ha, yeah. That's really great" she replied before realizing something "Wait, where did you get time management classes?".

"Oh, that's Contessa's thing" Rainbow Dash said, earning discomfort from the ranger as she looked past the blue human, noticing Contessa herself standing behind a stack of furniture, waving back at her. Marcy knew this fatal flaw in her plan, there was no way for her to stop the likes of a precognitive entity. Yet she's gotten this far without being stopped, what kind of outcome were they planning?

"Anyway, Pinkie's still stuck on midterms but we can set up a party in about next week. What do ya say?" Rainbow Dash asked.
"Um, that'll be fine! So, you know I'll just be making a speech, right?" Marcy asked back, trying to keep her trembling at a minimal.

"Yeah, I saw the reservations. Good luck! And if you're feeling nervous on-stage, just imagine the crowd giving the reaction you want. I usually imagine them cheering but it varies. Bye!" the blue human said before dashing off, earning a sigh of relief from the ranger. Looking behind herself, she noticed Contessa no longer in her previous spot.

"Snap out of it, Marcy! I can't mess this at the last moment!" she though, the rose on her shirt completely inert. She sighed at this sight, realizing that she had been punishing herself even when she wasn't messing things up. Putting those thoughts in the back of her head, she stepped up onto the podium, the present denizens simply glaring at her silently, except Rainbow Dash who was the only one cheering and clapping.

"Testing, testing. Is this on?" Marcy asked through the microphone, finding it blaring on the speakers. She spent a few seconds staring awkwardly at the crowd before finally gaining the confidence to speak.

So, another one of us has finally been freed. That can invoke a lot of feelings like happiness, sadness, jealousy. And while I picked a pretty bad time to celebrate, most of us not even being here, I still want to express how happy I am for having the opportunity to meet you all. It's been a rough couple days, a few of us went missing and I'm not saying you should give up on them... But, I just... I just want to be happy today, in my own celebration. And to talk about a few things.

Do you ever think about the ethics of what we do? Like in less than ideal situations, do you ever think about those matches we got by just waltzing into a universe and beating up whoever is comparable to you? Imagine that, being unaware of multiversal travel even being a thing and suddenly subjected to that? Imagine how horrible that'd be?

"Yeah, imagine that..." Marcy spoke, the denizens growing uncomfortable.

"Well, that was fun. Enjoy the rest of your night".

A loud bang was heard in from the main room, prompting Rainbow Dash to quickly dash off to check, coming back in a state of panic. "Something's coming out of the portal!" she yelled out. Lights above begin to flicker before shutting down with a crackle. A dreadful droning noise could be heard, followed by a grunt in the crowd saying that familiar line.

"Ow, something bit me!".

A loud crunch was heard shortly after and anyone standing nearby would feel the splatter of blood on them. The temptation to panic would be immense if the denizens weren't so desensitized to death. That complete darkness and short silence was broken if just for a moment with a green flash and a mechanical voice yelling.

"Atomix!".

A green ball began to form in the midst of the darkness, emitting more and more and light as it grew, revealing the new additions to the room arriving presumably from the dark. Hundreds of robots steeped in darkness and presumably more surrounded the place and the stage where Marcy stood was no longer so lonely.

"Ah, generic goons. The sign of a supervillain" Ben said before turning to Charlie "Which I assume is you... Who the heck are you?".
"That is unimportant. Just know that dear Marcy's speech has some merit to it" Charlie replied, a shadow hand reaching towards the miniature sun "But for now, the preparations are over. It's showtime".

The hand grasped the sun, seemingly unaffected by the heat and radiation while slowly snuffing out its light. While everyone's attention turned towards the dying sun and the creeping darkness, they did not notice the eyes and faces forming from the dark, one of which being notably close to Charlie, whispering through its four heads while its main beaked head simply glared at the crowd.

"Hmm, that is done" Charlie said before snapping her fingers. A loud bang was heard from within Ben which being a nuclear powered alien, was quite worrying. This was followed by him collapsing before transforming back, seemingly completely unmoving as someone else checked on him, finding him dead as the darkness continued to engulf the room.

"There will be survivors. I'd like you all to hunt them all down, I can't risk any chances" Charlie said through her roses. In the dark, screams and battlecries could be heard with explosions and gunfire happening here and there. Occasionally, blood will be splattered onto Marcy as she walked through the dark scene, who it belonged to did not matter.

While attempts to provide light were present, they were usually snuffed out by a shadow hand, followed by the forces of darkness whether it be Charlie's attacks or the corrupted AK-200s to be focused onto the lightbearer. However one notable light source remained for quite a while, likely due to the user's speed. A rainbow colored trail zoomed through any attackers who were not fast enough to catch up with her. Marcy herself felt something pulled off her belt, followed by an oil trail lighting up around her and in the middle she stood alongside Rainbow Dash, a scowl upon her face.

"Rainbow, I..." Marcy begged before getting cut off.
"Move a muscle and you'll bleed to death in a minute" Rainbow Dash threatened, a drop of blood falling from the needle she held.

Looking at her wrist, Marcy noticed small cuts on them with a small stinging pain though otherwise, she would have failed to notice them. More worrying still was that she felt the same pain on her ankles. Still, this little pocket will soon be extinguished by either the hands or the AK-200s yet neither came or at least, neither seemed to come. In truth, they were all vanquished out of sight without a trail left behind yet in the perspective of the ranger, nothing seemed to be happening in her predicament.

"I assume you want to know how I ended up like this?" Marcy asked.
"Make it fast, I can't keep this up forever" Rainbow Dash replied, a hint of exhaustion in her breath.

"I didn't came here from my world. I ended up in another place, The Constant she calls it and I ended up getting roped into her schemes and the threat of pain and misery" the ranger explained before showing the underside of her shirt, revealing the vines piercing from the rose into her skin, much to the blue human's horror.
"And you just followed her every move? You didn't even bother to take any action?" she pointed out, as well as noticing the blood pouring from Marcy's wrist while she showed the rose's effects "Also, you moved".

"The pain doesn't compare. And I have a minute anyway" the ranger said casually before falling to her knees, a stinging pain in her ankles now forcing her to stay there "And to answer that, I couldn't. She'd hear and see everything I did and punished me. Who knew what she'd do to anyone who got in her way. That's what happened to Mr. Drake, to Connor, to Chelshia...".
"Well... Darn it, I'd probably have done the same" Rainbow Dash replied, realizing the error in her actions.

"It's OK. I was honestly kinda worried you'd be pissed at me. You know, treason and loyalty, heh heh..." Marcy said weakly before finally collapsing, Rainbow Dash quickly catching her "Try not to die. I promise, it'll all be OK. Please, trust this time"

From her gaze in the dark, Charlie could view the fall of many trapped in the dark, savoring their every deaths while relishing in their delayed resurrection. It was a shame she couldn't announce her hold over them, not wanting to forfeit her advantage for mere gratification. As the chaos unfolded, she continued to view the intricacies of this realm, finding every detail currently present though what she wanted was simple, control. It didn't even need to be full control, just some way to keep these invaders from her realm.

Yet her search stopped with a screeching halt when she felt something break, something important. Taking a step back, she soon realized what had happened. Marcy had died and due to her own advancements, she wouldn't be back for a few hours as well. Still, Charlie wondered for but a moment what she meant on how it'll all be OK. She quickly snapped out of it, choosing to focus on the task in-hand.

In the dark looping halls, Ironwood wandered the place. He knew of the place the benefactors usually meet up at and in this panicked moment, they would likely be there. He didn't how he'd finish them off but at least he'd know where they are... or so he thought. In an instant, the darkness around him was swept away with the pull of a switch, floodlights shining upon him as human guards marched about and in the middle of it alongside him were the two benefactors his team so desperately wished weren't present.

Ironwood instinctively raised his weapons, only for his hands to go limp, presumably due to technological interference. And now he stood at the mercy of his captors, in a moment when dying would be a pivotal loss. With him incapacitated, Contessa was able to walk up to him before effortlessly tearing the rose off his suit, the vines tearing at her flesh seemingly having no effect. A group of agents quickly took said rose before retreating with it, leaving the area mostly free of Charlie's influence.

"You could've stopped us at any given moment. You had the power and abilities to do so, why didn't you?" Ironwood asked.
"Well for starters, curiosity" Director Aktus replied "There is so much to learn of this new realm and its masters. We have so many hypotheses we'd like to test out though it'll be quite slow, unless... we ran the place".

"Among the things I saw, there was apparently some sort of method to transfer power. Allowing some random person to have a fraction of the power this so-called 'employer' has over here" Contessa explained "There is one minor problem".
"For reason we're unable to disclose, it wants you. Every outcome, every potential person we currently know of, it failed to initiate this transfer, all except you, general" the director added "So, we may as well utilize this opportunity. All we want is to study the methods of this realm and we will not directly oppose whatever you choose to do with your new power".

"And how do I know this isn't a ruse?" the general questioned.
"You want to beat Charlie, right? How are you gonna get the jump on her? With your robots' lights? She'll spot you a mile away and kill you before you can even reach for those guns" the suited woman replied casually "May as well take your chances".

Ironwood swallowed his pride. He had known how difficult this operation would be from the very start and yet he pushed on, his semblance removing any doubts up until this point. For just a moment he deactivated it to consider what he had known all along but this time, he may have the choice for a better way.

Back in the main room, frustration began to grow within Charlie. Despite her reach and vision, she still failed to grasp the inner workings of this realm. Each panel, each machine, each room somehow hid their true nature from her, always just out of reach no matter what she tried. In her obsession, she failed to notice something else break, her one other rose for a full minute until she eventually did realize.

"It was a sudden snap. Why didn't I see him, did he die in the light?" Charlie questioned.
"Then I will have access to his army for longer. How joyous~" Noob Saibot replied.

It wasn't a particularly worrying revelation, they have disposed of most of the denizens and are now simply looking for stragglers. The groans and screeches of Them provided a nice ambience for the two, white eyes and faces poking out throughout the dark landscape. It was, peaceful in a sickening way...

Peace that wouldn't last.

Soon, the groans and screeches of Them began to grow louder, sounding similar to a pained scream. For once, Charlie snapped out of her goal, finding her vision across the realm diminishing in large portions, her presence kicked out of each room one by one until all that is left is the main room, the entrance lit brightly. With a bright flash, the whole room lit up from the ceilings and standing in the doorway was none other than Ironwood himself.

Yet more worryingly still was what the light exposed.

Every single person slain by the dark now laid in the light, whatever resurrective power now functioning as intended. Ironwood simply walked up towards Charlie in the chaos and confusion, his hand in his pristine light gray coat.

"Apologies for the disturbance" Ironwood said before pulling out a revolver and shooting a single bullet square through Charlie's head, the empress collapsing like any person would should they have been shot through the head.

"Hmm, quite useful. If only it weren't single use" the general lamented before stepping on the stage and checking on the microphone. With it functional, he was able to begin his speech.

I understand you must be disturbed, rattled perhaps. Maybe you died early and are wondering how you came back. For your safety, it is best that no others will be aware of the schemes of Charlie. What I can tell you however is that there is currently a shift in the status quo. While Charlie may have had reasonable motivations, she went with it the wrong way. Perhaps she could've lived had she simply signed up as a benefactor. I, general James Ironwood will ensure these ideals will be executed in a more, dignified manner. You will all be notified eventually but for now you must know...

The interior of the room began to shift, the once familiar blue walls with white highlights solidified into a gray color, a few smooth pillars spaced out. The dark blue ceiling rose higher, its color lightening while the once light blue floors turned white with a few stripes running across the centerpiece, a circle with that familiar crest.

"Please return to your rooms. You will be able to access the portals in at most 3 hours" Ironwood explained, turning his attention to his former teammates "I have a few loose ends to tie".

There was some resistance but ultimately, the room finally fell silent. The AK-200 are purged off Noob Saibot's control, now blocking the doors and wandering the halls. It was finally over...

"Come closer..." the general asked. His teammates uncomfortably took a few steps though for now, they simply received a hand over their shoulder as Ironwood sighed in relief.

"Admittedly, if there was one thing I found enjoyable on this experience, it would be working with the two of you. It's been quite hard back where I came from but I've dodged a horrible fate and met some new people..." he explained, his grasp growing tighter "Unfortunately, I will not take that chance again. The two of you know ways to cripple this realm and now that I run it, I cannot risk its fall again". With a simple push, he managed to rip off a chunk of flesh of his teammates' shoulder, causing them agonizing pain.

Noob Saibot in particular failed to recover in time to react, finding himself grappled as a portal opened behind him and he's thrusted through before shot, these bullets having the capability to slay city-destroying entities. As the portal closed, nothing remained of the dark ninja, leaving Marcy all alone as she is lifted up.

"He would have betrayed us had we let him live. Remember, he was here for a reward and I've killed the one who would've granted it" Ironwood said reassuringly though with a chunk of her shoulder suddenly gone, Marcy is reasonably unassured.
"Please, no more. I just wanna go home..." she begged.

"Rest assured, you'll be going there... and you will never be able to come back" the general said, the ranger barely having time to process what he meant as she was thrown through another portal, ending up in decorated room. She quickly recovered to find the portal closed, even missing the part where her friends and family cheered.

"WELCOME HOME, MARCY!".

They quickly realized the gravity of this situation, Anne and Sasha quickly rushing to comfort Marcy while the others attempted to call for help.

Thank you @MaidRips and @LeoEpicGamer8910 for helping me vouch for Marcy and also for making some of the matches that end up concluded

Thank you @ShockingPsychic and @Pikaman for reading the stuff I write and providing input. It feels really great knowing the effort I put in is appreciated

And lastly, thank you @Mariogoods for suggesting this idea. I never would have thought of spamming her and creating this whole arc if you've never suggested it...

Now as you can guess, this is not the end. I have a whole other arc planned and even an event so stay tuned!

"I've started this whole mess because I wanted to escape that reality. But I won't run away from it anymore!" ~Marcy Regina Wu

Back