• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Great Remnant Quest to Downgrade RWBY [Part 2] LIGHT SPEED MORE LIKE LIGHT PEE

CurrySenpai

She/Her
FC/OC VS Battles
Content Moderator
Hey, remember light speed? I do! I'm going to cover a few egregious feats that are considered "light speed" and especially the justifications for there being light speed attacks in the first place.

RWBY's Silver Eyes have a light speed "dodging" calc that should not be applied ever or exist in the first place. Silver Eyes in no way actually act like light, they are a largely unexplained magic ability meant to kill magical negativity monsters. We don't even know if the light emitted from Silver Eye users is real light.

Most importantly, Silver Eyes are never depicted as some sort of beam of light, or even an attack of sorts to DODGE, it just floods the room with light.

In the calc used for them by Dalesean07 both scenes show NO one "dodging" this supposed light speed attack.

The first just cuts to black as the Silver Eyes go off, and we then see Cinder gone, we don't even see her move to dodge. The second is... Cinder, already in motion to attack Jaune? She's not even dodging it, she's attacking another character entirely.

So not only do the Silver Eyes not act like light, they also aren't an attack that can be "dodged" in a way that's quantifiable to receive a value, unless we wanna say Cinder can somehow dodge between the photons.

Yeah, this point will be argued longer than the others, but no one said this would be easy. The particle canon statement comes from a defunct and unavailable RWBY game known as "RWBY: Amity Arena". It's a pretty clear-cut statement, but I'm here to discuss the canonicity of these statements and how seriously we should actually take these at face value.

"That's because our game is a channel for RWBY to explore the many characters that could not be given as much screen time in the show! Most of what we put in game is canon and approved by RT. (though chibi references are just there for fun)"
I would like to say that this statement does not exactly inspire confidence, especially considering that this game was not developed in house by RT. The part that is particularly egregious is "Most of what we put in the game is canon and approved by RT." Most things being canon and another half being potentially non-canon is not a good look, and it gives us 0 frame of reference for what could or could not be canon, it'd be pure guess work.

But there's another statement which blows this out of the water.

"We are canon as far as:
1. This game is supposed to exist in World and is played by the people of Remnant.
2. Character backstories are real (Adam, Fox, Hazel, etc)
3. Our design of Carmine from After the Fall is official"

Let's tackle this one by one. THE GAME IS SUPPOSED TO EXIST IN CANON AND BE PLAYED BY THE PEOPLE OF REMNANT??? THE GAME WITH TOP SECRET ENTITIES LIKE THE SPIRITS WITHIN THE RELICS THAT NOBODY BUT OZPIN AND THOSE HE TRUSTS KNOW ABOUT? THE GAME THAT HOLDS CLASSIFIED INFORMATION ON PEOPLE LIKE PENNY AND THEIR MECHS?

I shouldn't have to explain how absurd of a prospect that is and especially the fact that in canon we see no one play it, but I digress, it's the second point that really puts this to bed.

"Characters backstories are real" This statement is super roundabout and doesn't make much sense because 1. What do you mean the backstories are "real"? I would hope that you're not putting in false information for pre-existing characters if you're a game set in RWBY. 2. This statement CLEARLY denotes that character backstories are real, not weapon, vehicle, or robot descriptions. They even give examples of living breathing characters. As far as I can tell, the Spider Droid didn't have a deep backstory (although most RWBY characters don't).
Conclusion

Light speed is bunk, and we should return to the old values (which I'm pretty sure were Massively Hypersonic+). Light speed being bunk comes from 1. RWBY's Silver Eyes not being a dodgeable thing, and 2. The game where Light Speed comes from not being canon, or it's really finicky, and we'd have to assume it's canon, which is stupid.

I will say, I could MAYBE be fine with a possibility, but you'd have to convince me, for now, axe it all.

RWBY's Silver Eyes have a light speed "dodging" calc that should not be applied ever or exist in the first place. Silver Eyes in no way actually act like light, they are a largely unexplained magic ability meant to kill magical negativity monsters. We don't even know if the light emitted from Silver Eye users is real light.

Most importantly, Silver Eyes are never depicted as some sort of beam of light, or even an attack of sorts to DODGE, it just floods the room with light.

In the calc used for them by Dalesean07 both scenes show NO one "dodging" this supposed light speed attack
Regardless of anything else since I don't have time for any of that until later they don't need to be "dodging" it for the calc to work, they are moving alongside the light as it travels so that's all the matters. So anything regarding this doesn't act against the feats themself or invalidate them at all.

Regardless of anything else since I don't have time for any of that until later they don't need to be "dodging" it for the calc to work, they are moving alongside the light as it travels so that's all the matters. So anything regarding this doesn't act against the feats themself or invalidate them at all.
I don’t see how they are “moving alongside the light” when the first example literally fades to black before we see anything happen and the one where she’s attacking Jaune is clearly cinematic timing, why are we taking this in the most literal interpretation possible when that doesn’t make sense.

Doesn’t help the fact that the silver eyes are some magical power never stated to be light or light speed that literally have Ruby sprout wings from her eyes

don’t see how they are “moving alongside the light” when the first example literally fades to black before we see anything happen and the one where she’s attacking Jaune is clearly cinematic timing, why are we taking this in the most literal interpretation possible when that doesn’t make sense.
It literally does not if you look at the actual px scaled images in the blog and frame by frame you'd see as much, and the cinematic timing arguement doesn't really work here unless you actually have some basis to make that claim in which case provide evidence as such.
Doesn’t help the fact that the silver eyes are some magical power never stated to be light or light speed that literally have Ruby sprout wings from her eyes
This only happens in their first appearance and every following subsequent showing from literally everything character after depicts it as a omni-directional flashbang of light so that doesn't really work either

It literally does not if you look at the actual px scaled images in the blog and frame by frame you'd see as much, and the cinematic timing arguement doesn't really work here unless you actually have some basis to make that claim in which case provide evidence as such.

This only happens in their first appearance and every following subsequent showing from literally everything character after depicts it as a omni-directional flashbang of light so that doesn't really work either
The pixel scaled images in the blog literally have Cinder dashing off the ground, already in motion, as everyone is frozen with a cinematic time stop effect. She’s genuinely just stiff as she moves towards Jaune.

Even so, this is not how a light speed attack or what not would act even in her other examples, and once again, 0 statements it’s real light or something that suggests we should treat it like light.

The pixel scaled images in the blog literally have Cinder dashing off the ground, already in motion, as everyone with a cinematic time stop effect. She’s genuinely just stiff as she moves towards Jaune.
Ya realize her already being in motion doesn't make the feat invalid, she is moving in tangent with the light a good amount of distance before it reaches her
Even so, this is not how a light speed attack to what not would act even in her other examples, and once again, 0 statements it’s real light or something that suggests we should treat it like light.
Ah yes it would literally aside from volume 3 it only acts as a flashbang in every other depiction.

Regardless again I can't debate lore with ya rn but as far as the visual aspects go these are fine

you have not addressed the no statements part my guy, and I don’t care, it’s clearly cinematic timing, she’s even moving slower than normal.

you have not addressed the no statements part my guy, and I don’t care, it’s clearly cinematic timing, she’s even moving slower than normal.
Regardless again I can't debate lore with ya rn but as far as the visual aspects go these are fine
Free enough to comment on the actual parts of your arguments that don't reply on any lore or statements. Said for like the 3rd time now for that you can wait for now as I said nothing here as far as what I've addressed really disqualifies anything visually

Free enough to comment on the actual parts of your arguments that don't reply on any lore or statements. Said for like the 3rd time now for that you can wait for now as I said nothing here as far as what I've addressed really disqualifies anything visually
Oh didn’t see that, oops lol.

"Game is mostly canon and approved by RT."

Okay, so I disagree with the part about removing that stuff based on canonicity. OP basically disproves their own point.

"Nobody dodged light"

Not what the calculation is calculating. It is calculating relative movement vs light-speed.

Anyway, OP mentions it doesn't move at light or is treated as light, but it looks like light to me.

I will wait for further arguments on that ig.

Okay, so I disagree with the part about removing that stuff based on canonicity. OP basically disproves their own point.
You didn't look at the other issues being that it says "most" stuff is canon, which already doesn't make sense because that means some aspects can't be canon, and then you ignored the part that says what is canon and how the spider droid does not fit the devs own criteria.

You didn't look at the other issues being that it says "most" stuff is canon, which already doesn't make sense because that means some aspects can't be canon, and then you ignored the part that says what is canon and how the spider droid does not fit the devs own criteria.
The thing with that again tho is that they specifcally mention adams backstory being canon, basically his character profile where the particle beam statment comes from

I looked at it. You're being hyper-specific and disingenuous to try and claim that it isn't canon. I disagree with that.

Btw, It's really ironic as well considering you've tried to say way more dubious things from other series are canon before.

Doesn't really pair well with clear statements from you that make it sound as though you do these threads in bad faith, not gonna lie.

But that's another can of worms. I disagree with the thread for now; will wait for further arguments.

The thing with that again tho is that they specifcally mention adams backstory being canon, basically his character profile where the particle beam statment comes from
Adam’s backstory/the BLACK trailer does not mention that the Spider Droid has a particle canon, the description comes solely from the spider droid itself.

The description is not a backstory, and it’s not part of Adam’s in game profile, that’s the issue.

I looked at it. You're being hyper-specific and disingenuous to try and claim that it isn't canon. I disagree with that.

Btw, It's really ironic as well considering you've tried to say way more dubious things from other series are canon before.

Doesn't really pair well with clear statements from you that make it sound as though you do these threads in bad faith, not gonna lie.

But that's another can of worms. I disagree with the thread for now; will wait for further arguments.
I would appreciate it if you not bring personal spats into this with your last few lines, I have you blocked on other platforms for this reason I’d appreciate if you not try to stir the pot here.

Adam’s backstory/the BLACK trailer does not mention that the Spider Droid has a particle canon, the description comes solely from the spider droid itself.
Hmm I could be misremembering in the case of his backstory on the card

Hmm I could be misremembering in the case of his backstory on the card
This should be the description of Adam, but the description of the particle cannon comes from this. The spider droid itself description.

I’ve talked about this off site, but it comes down to whether or not you buy the description of the spider droid fitting the character backstory criteria we have, which is why I said possibly could be fine as a replacement on the badges since it’s a bit contentious.

This should be the description of Adam, but the description of the particle cannon comes from this. The spider droid itself description.

I’ve talked about this off site, but it comes down to whether or not you buy the description of the spider droid fitting the character backstory criteria we have, which is why I said possibly could be fine as a replacement on the badges since it’s a bit contentious.
I mean should still be fine considering the stuff you posted in the OP, its not like it contradicts anything

I mean should still be fine considering the stuff you posted in the OP, its not like it contradicts anything
It’s less about the contradiction and more about the uncertainty of what’s canon. Normally I’m fine with this, but I just find it very odd some defunct game with super weird statements about canonicity is where we’re getting this light speed rating from.
Also just healthy skepticism of something Weekly made, cause lord knows how much stuff has just been presented in a roundabout why to look canon by him.

Also just healthy skepticism of something Weekly made, cause lord knows how much stuff has just been presented in a roundabout why to look canon by him.
This is very weird to bring up here. Weekly shouldn't even matter to the statments of the games canonicity or anything really.
It’s less about the contradiction and more about the uncertainty of what’s canon. Normally I’m fine with this, but I just find it very odd some defunct game with super weird statements about canonicity is where we’re getting this light speed rating from.
I mean if the game as well as the character backstories are stated to be canon and this is on this one's card info tab mentions this exactly then its definitely valid

This is very weird to bring up here. Weekly shouldn't even matter to the statments of the games canonicity or anything really.
Misread your comment, my bad lol.
I mean if the game as well as the character backstories are stated to be canon and this is on this one's card info tab mentions this exactly then its definitely valid
It’s the fact that the game says character backstories rather than anything else like character / item descriptions or world descriptions. When they say character backstories they mention Adam, Hazel, and Fox (fox is mentioned because people were wondering if he was blind and how he became blind, something this game mentions.

But the spider droid isn’t a character, nor does it really have a backstory it’s just an atleasian weapon they use.

Back