• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The God of High School Discussion Thread 4: Post-Anime Apocalypse

We can't use the raws unless someone on the wiki is willing to translate it for us. Otherwise we use the official translations.

The Buddhist thing doesn't even matter because it wouldn't even mean Mori is 2-C. Yes, he is 4D in dimensionality, but that doesn't make him able to destroy whole 4D constructs, which is what you need to be Low 2-C at the bare minimum.

Cool. He is in a 4D realm. But we have not seen the capacity for him to destroy it, which is the problem. Him cracking reality and letting aberrations come through is limited 4D hax. It is in no way indicative of 2-C levels of destructive power. If not Buu would be 2-C from being able to tear open holes between dimensions through shouting.

Ok? Yeah he's looking over from a higher dimension. But he still can't destroy whole universes, which is both the requirement for Low 2-C and the crux of my argument.
Doesn’t matter because if you’re 4D, you’re uni+ by default

Depending on if it's existence, strength or hax, yes, if u are 4D u are Uni+, and Mori clearly has the strength bc u can only affect a 4D construct and u are still automatically Low 2-C as those constructs would be impossible to affect even for an infinite ammount of energy on a 3D scale.

It doesn't always have to be destruction, destruction isn't the only aspect to achieve this tier 💀

Funny how infinite zamasu was accept d as 2-C, but he never destroyed it

No that's not how that works. Dimensional existence does not give you AP. Read our tiering rules. Just because you're 7th dimensional it does not mean you hit people with 7D AP. It just means you can traverse 7 dimensions.

No that's not how that works. Dimensional existence does not give you AP. Read our tiering rules. Just because you're 7th dimensional it does not mean you hit people with 7D AP. It just means you can traverse 7 dimensions.
Let’s say that’s the case then. Your reasoning for mori not being low 2C is because mori hasn’t destroyed a 4D construct. First of all, that’s DC, not Ap. You don’t have to destroy that said thing to be put in that tier. Zamasu was accepted at low 2c because he was capable of affecting multiple timelines. It’s not all about DC

Let’s say that’s the case then. Your reasoning for mori not being low 2C is because mori hasn’t destroyed a 4D construct. First of all, that’s DC, not Ap. You don’t have to destroy that said thing to be put in that tier. Zamasu was accepted at low 2c because he was capable of affecting multiple timelines. It’s not all about DC
Meant to say he was Accepted at 2C not low 2c*

TLDR: my reasoning for why Mori isn’t 2C
A couple things to point out in this response.

1) in this instance we have to go raw translations due to not only some different translations in the official webtoon and other contexts being left out, but there are entire pages in the raws that simply haven’t even been translated in English for some reason.

2) You don’t necessarily need to destroy a 4D structure of any kind to be classified as 2C, you just need to be able to significantly affect it according to the tiering systems page. And this is something Mori is said to be capable of doing since the current problems happening in the universe right now is a result of Mori choosing not to be in Nirvana. If he decided to stay in Nirvana then his presence there would be maintaining all of creation across all the different universes, stopping the dimensional cracks from occurring which is another warping and distorting of a low-2C space, further supporting the 2C Mori notion.

There are also the “being above all of creation” statements which is said multiple times which would also qualify as 2C statements for them.

A couple things to point out in this response.

1) in this instance we have to go raw translations due to not only some different translations in the official webtoon and other contexts being left out, but there are entire pages in the raws that simply haven’t even been translated in English for some reason.

2) You don’t necessarily need to destroy a 4D structure of any kind to be classified as 2C, you just need to be able to significantly affect it according to the tiering systems page. And this is something Mori is said to be capable of doing since the current problems happening in the universe right now is a result of Mori choosing not to be in Nirvana. If he decided to stay in Nirvana then his presence there would be maintaining all of creation across all the different universes, stopping the dimensional cracks from occurring which is another warping and distorting of a low-2C space, further supporting the 2C Mori notion.

There are also the “being above all of creation” statements which is said multiple times which would also qualify as 2C statements for them.
No? Just because you exist above creation, it does not mean you can destroy all of creation. We have no such feat for that anywhere in GoH.

I was going to waltz over here to say "I agree because it's funny" but yeah these counterarguments are a bit wack

Low 2-C doesn't strictly require demolishing the universe, significant control or literally embodying it as the Buddha is fine enough, and generally transcending creation gets Low 1-C, so...

Consider, however: I really disliked God of Highschool's ending so making it provide as many tiers(trademark) as possible would be the big funny

I just thought it went on way, way too long

Should have ended when Mujin became supreme god in the first place, or at least with the 3v1 with Mori, Mira and Daewi, but it really dragged and then turned into a blob of white noise for me by the end with a bunch of nonsense I really feel could have been cut

Honestly I think that happens to a lot of people. Like as a story is in progression it feels way too dragged on but honestly when I re read stuff I feel like the story progresses way more fluidly than I initially thought.

The author is really really painstakingly slow with his set ups though to be fair but I think it really pays off in the end each time.

Like I don’t think it would’ve been satisfying to end on the trio vs Mubong because there was still a lot of stuff left to unpack and I think what we got was way more impactful with Mori reaching Nirvana.

Honestly I think that happens to a lot of people. Like as a story is in progression it feels way too dragged on but honestly when I re read stuff I feel like the story progresses way more fluidly than I initially thought.

The author is really really painstakingly slow with his set ups though to be fair but I think it really pays off in the end each time.

Like I don’t think it would’ve been satisfying to end on the trio vs Mubong because there was still a lot of stuff left to unpack and I think what we got was way more impactful with Mori reaching Nirvana.
Nope, sorry, opinion invalidated, GoH is objectively the best piece of fiction ever and anyone who doesn't like it is CRUNGE 💪 🗿 🔥

Cuts are a pretty vital part of any story, throwing all of your ideas in is going to make a clogged mess.

Like, Mori landing on Mujin's planet and exploring that, only to find out he murders children doesn't really add anything because we know he's a terrible person and that overrides the addition of ambiguity to if he really should stop the guy

In general, the more I've gone along the more I figure that less is definitely more, I don't really need the full lore of a story if it's just entertaining as a base, one of my favorite verses, Parahumans, has an absolute ton of WOG on different pieces of lore and even full cut character arcs. Yeah, the story is still super long and has a lot of revelations about the world they're in, but it's also a webnovel and gets away with being meticulous a bit more than an action Manhua written by a guy flying straight from the seat of his pants

Like, the Nirvana thing, yeah it's a general Buddhist concept but it's introduced into the story as "Mori's hair turns white because he is becoming a little bit better at martial arts, transcends time and space to overcome Mujin constantly revealing he's at 1% power Jiren style and then he absorbs everyone's borrowed power and makes him explode", at the exact moment it's needed to keep it going. I felt the same sort of way with the flashbacks to Mandeok and Mujin's schism 17 years before the start of the story, it just sorta throws a lot of information to try to justify Mujin capitulating to using Tagatha's power, meanwhile his entire reason for coming there was to kill the guy off and it felt contrary for his character to compromise at that specific point just so he could be the final antagonist.

Admittedly, I also blitzed through this thing for a month straight because by the time I started, the series was already ending, so there's not the time of anticipation or reminiscence on potential setup or get wowed by what sudden events imply, but I also prefer consistency and wit from characters more than shooting for a wild ride, emotionally (And on the topic of "Titan among webtoons", outside of a few grievances, it was The Boxer that nailed that on the head for me when I tried it out awhile ago)

Yeah ok I've been clowned on by DMUA on Discord so Low 2-C Mori Jin is alright. 2-C will remain likely though, since the summoning of alternate Moris is likely spatial hax and we don't know if Divine Realm and Sage Realm are counted towards the universe.

Cuts are a pretty vital part of any story, throwing all of your ideas in is going to make a clogged mess.
I am a bit confused by this statement I will not lie.
Like, Mori landing on Mujin's planet and exploring that, only to find out he murders children doesn't really add anything because we know he's a terrible person and that overrides the addition of ambiguity to if he really should stop the guy
I disagree, I think it does. And you know I initially thought exactly like that about that exact part, that it was dragging on too long and that it served no purpose to the story. But what changed my mind was rereading I believe the chapter the blonde haired lady (Heal) reveal herself, because I thought it was a really good tie in and helped
In general, the more I've gone along the more I figure that less is definitely more, I don't really need the full lore of a story if it's just entertaining as a base, one of my favorite verses, Parahumans, has an absolute ton of WOG on different pieces of lore and even full cut character arcs. Yeah, the story is still super long and has a lot of revelations about the world they're in, but it's also a webnovel and gets away with being meticulous a bit more than an action Manhua written by a guy flying straight from the seat of his pants
To me personally I find that this story, while definitely feeling slow and dragged on at times, incredibly sets up and then meticulously develop that set up until a final culmination of events draws out a conclusion that wholeheartedly satisfied all the work that was put in for that particular set point. And the foreshadowing this author uses for all of these plot points is really great too.
Like, the Nirvana thing, yeah it's a general Buddhist concept but it's introduced into the story as "Mori's hair turns white because he is becoming a little bit better at martial arts, transcends time and space to overcome Mujin constantly revealing he's at 1% power Jiren style and then he absorbs everyone's borrowed power and makes him explode", at the exact moment it's needed to keep it going. I felt the same sort of way with the flashbacks to Mandeok and Mujin's schism 17 years before the start of the story, it just sorta throws a lot of information to try to justify Mujin capitulating to using Tagatha's power, meanwhile his entire reason for coming there was to kill the guy off and it felt contrary for his character to compromise at that specific point just so he could be the final antagonist.
I think this is kind of a poor generalization of the concepts or ideas presented in goh. Mori reaching Nirvana, him breaking out of the karmic cycle, Mujin switching his goals I think we’re all very well set up and established points in the series.

Like for example, if you go back and check the chapters in which Mujin first betrays Mori in ragnarok, you can find how the author already foreshadows the incredibly parallels between Mujin and Tathagata. And then from there we find Mujin’s whole goal is for humanity and as the story progresses he gets continually pushed down and down and down, a lot of it deserved mind you but still brutal nonetheless. All until the final culmination of events where Mujin becomes the supreme god. All the result from all the set up of breaking Mujin down and drawing the parallels between him and tathagata.

That flashback too was set up many many chapters ago before finally being revealed right as Mujin and Mandeok were fighting and I thought it great. Like I thought it was a very good set of flashback chapters for the character, it was emotional, impactful, and properly set up the current motivations and beliefs for the character.

I just think the author really knows how to foreshadow stuff, set it up, develop it, and form a satisfying conclusion for each plot point even if it may feel slowly paced.
Admittedly, I also blitzed through this thing for a month straight because by the time I started, the series was already ending, so there's not the time of anticipation or reminiscence on potential setup or get wowed by what sudden events imply, but I also prefer consistency and wit from characters more than shooting for a wild ride, emotionally
That might also play into it, because honestly I’ve had those types of experiences before with planet of other series (UnOrdinary) but honestly I think for most of the time it’s just me reading the story too fast for me at least

I think it’s not necessarily just about the crazy ride for goh. I think it’s a series that continually gets better each time you read it for all the other details and set up the author does for the plot points in the story.
(And on the topic of "Titan among webtoons", outside of a few grievances, it was The Boxer that nailed that on the head for me when I tried it out awhile ago)
This is an objective claim that shall not be refuted.

Yeah ok I've been clowned on by DMUA on Discord so Low 2-C Mori Jin is alright. 2-C will remain likely though, since the summoning of alternate Moris is likely spatial hax and we don't know if Divine Realm and Sage Realm are counted towards the universe.
That's fine. Thank you for finally agreeing

I am a bit confused by this statement I will not lie.
It's just something about writing as an idea, you can't get every cool scene or idea in without damaging the story. I feel it applies here.
But what changed my mind was rereading I believe the chapter the blonde haired lady (Heal) reveal herself, because I thought it was a really good tie in and helped
Tie in to what? It's cool that they're not raw introducing a new character, but we knew basically nothing about Heal before and just have the revelations dumped on us as a strict pacebreaker to beating Mujin. She doesn't even really add much to the story, she's just another person that got indoctrinated into Mujin's supremacist beliefs, that's something we've had in our heads since the very start of Arc 6
Like for example, if you go back and check the chapters in which Mujin first betrays Mori in ragnarok, you can find how the author already foreshadows the incredibly parallels between Mujin and Tathagata. And then from there we find Mujin’s whole goal is for humanity and as the story progresses he gets continually pushed down and down and down, a lot of it deserved mind you but still brutal nonetheless. All until the final culmination of events where Mujin becomes the supreme god. All the result from all the set up of breaking Mujin down and drawing the parallels between him and tathagata.
They follow the same line, but they're very clearly different. Tathagata is out for his own power and transcendence at the cost of anyone in his way, Mujin was out for revenge and hellbent on undermining the gods at any cost by propping up humanity as much as possible. Even if it's similar, these two goals are still extremely opposed to another, but more problematic for me is the fact Mujin could have fulfilled his goal right then and there by just saying "no" outright, thus halting his resurrections in his tracks, maintaining the non aggression contract between Gods and Humans and letting Generation X propagate in peace, at least for the foreseeable future. The author clearly had a sense of this, so they have the flashbacks and situation hammer in how worthless humanity is to Mujin so it makes more sense for him to turn his back on it, despite that strictly not being in character for him.

Yeah, it did set up that something happened with his past, but "I sacrificed my sister, your lover, to Beelzebub, and not only never apologized but doubled down by joining Nox and trying to do it all over again now" is a slight that doesn't really line up with this, their rivalry has always been treated as a schism of ideas and a petty desire for dominance over one another, arguing about removing the bongs from their names and things to that beat as opposed to a visceral hatred of one another due to unforgivable sins being committed to their loved ones.
I think it’s not necessarily just about the crazy ride for goh. I think it’s a series that continually gets better each time you read it for all the other details and set up the author does for the plot points in the story.
The list of things I knew about GOH before I got into it:

• It escalates obscenely fast
  • Mori Jin multiplies his power 25700 times over to kill quad/quintillions of clones of Satan
  • People did not like the anime because it cut stuff to make the pacing faster and speed to the Monkey King
I've always had it advertised as spectacle and my experience definitely doesn't contradict it, even if that spectacle stretches past simple events like what happens in the fights. They retool the prophecy's vagueness like, 5 different times throughout the story just to make you think they're paying it off or at least somewhat keep you guessing until it finally settles on "The mark of the beast is actually Wi-Fi this time guys, Generation X was actually the new son of man, the bloody rain was borrowed powers being funneled into Mori"

Like, one of the things Mori does to try and beat Mujin is get 19 different weapons simultaneously, all of which have the Yeoui's abilities which are already wild in their own right as demonstrated by everything it's done in the story up to that point.

yeah, Yongje does set things up, but not like, super methodically, he shoots his shots and some of them are rounds he already put on the table.

It's just something about writing as an idea, you can't get every cool scene or idea in without damaging the story. I feel it applies here.
Depends I suppose then.
Tie in to what? It's cool that they're not raw introducing a new character, but we knew basically nothing about Heal before and just have the revelations dumped on us as a strict pacebreaker to beating Mujin. She doesn't even really add much to the story, she's just another person that got indoctrinated into Mujin's supremacist beliefs, that's something we've had in our heads since the very start of Arc 6
Tie in to Mori’s journey of realization. The whole point of that mini arc on new earth was to show how absolutely nothing is useless, to show how everything Mubong abandoned comes back to haunt him as Karma.
They follow the same line, but they're very clearly different. Tathagata is out for his own power and transcendence at the cost of anyone in his way, Mujin was out for revenge and hellbent on undermining the gods at any cost by propping up humanity as much as possible. Even if it's similar, these two goals are still extremely opposed to another,
Good. Why do you find that problematic? That’s good for there to be those differences between them because in the end Mujin was the one who ate Buddha and took over his power. He didn’t submit to him or fully fuse with him, he was the one who took control. So there being established differences between them helps establish this overarching ending of Mujin taking control of Tathagata.

But that wasn’t really my point. The point I was trying to illustrate was to showcase the massive amount of foreshadowing and set up for Mujin to fuse with Tathagata in the first place. It was set up even in the very chapters of ragnarok when Mujin betrayed Mori and further developed on as the series went on. Hell Mujin being set up as a villain was established at the very start of the series. Which I think showcases the author’s good foreshadowing and set up skills.
but more problematic for me is the fact Mujin could have fulfilled his goal right then and there by just saying "no" outright, thus halting his resurrections in his tracks, maintaining the non aggression contract between Gods and Humans and letting Generation X propagate in peace, at least for the foreseeable future. The author clearly had a sense of this, so they have the flashbacks and situation hammer in how worthless humanity is to Mujin so it makes more sense for him to turn his back on it, despite that strictly not being in character for him.
He did, he did say no and opted to kill the supreme god in the beginning. But was questioned on the matter. Everything about Mujin’s journey throughout the entirety of part 6 was meant to break him down as a character. He was obviously willing to die for his beliefs since he sacrificed himself to save Dean, but everything just kept getting worse for him from there since he killed his best friend, his people that he once lead all turned their backs on him, he watched another one of his lovers die in front of him.

But Mujin is a flawed character, he’s narcissistic, he’s bigoted, he’s deceitful in nature. So when everything keeps pushing him down and down and further down, he eventually breaks and accepts that power. And I think that culmination of events which were meticulously set up throughout the series was very well done, it’s why I think goh has some of the best standalone chapters out there because the chaoter Mujin does become the supreme god is quite impactful.
Yeah, it did set up that something happened with his past, but "I sacrificed my sister, your lover, to Beelzebub, and not only never apologized but doubled down by joining Nox and trying to do it all over again now" is a slight that doesn't really line up with this, their rivalry has always been treated as a schism of ideas and a petty desire for dominance over one another, arguing about removing the bongs from their names and things to that beat as opposed to a visceral hatred of one another due to unforgivable sins being committed to their loved ones.
Not really? Of course they have their “friendly” moments with each other mostly for their comedic purposes, but there always most definitely has been an underlying hatred between the two since the very beginning they were shown. Mubong started off by ripping his arm off after all. They may appear friendly towards one another, but there is an underlying hatred between the two.

In your very link, those same line of events first lead with Mandeok literally screaming and charging at Mubong for tricking him with nothing but rage in his eyes. Hell the very chapter you pulled that link from, set up the flashback between the two that we see later on. Showing how they started off as friends, so obviously something must’ve happened to make them go against each other. So I don’t really understand this criticism you have either since this was pretty well established.
The list of things I knew about GOH before I got into it:

• It escalates obscenely fast
  • Mori Jin multiplies his power 25700 times over to kill quad/quintillions of clones of Satan
  • People did not like the anime because it cut stuff to make the pacing faster and speed to the Monkey King
I've always had it advertised as spectacle and my experience definitely doesn't contradict it, even if that spectacle stretches past simple events like what happens in the fights. They retool the prophecy's vagueness like, 5 different times throughout the story just to make you think they're paying it off or at least somewhat keep you guessing until it finally settles on "The mark of the beast is actually Wi-Fi this time guys, Generation X was actually the new son of man, the bloody rain was borrowed powers being funneled into Mori"
Like, one of the things Mori does to try and beat Mujin is get 19 different weapons simultaneously, all of which have the Yeoui's abilities which are already wild in their own right as demonstrated by everything it's done in the story up to that point.
I think it goes more than just the spectacle and I think each of the things you point out for the prophecies I think were well set up. Like the mark of the beast was literally the Wi-Fi symbol so I saw no issue with that. Generation x being the new son of man was set up essentially since generation x was first introduced and the borrowed powers raining down on Mori was another one of the culmination of events showcasing Mori as the real child of prophecy which was presented all throughout the arc.
yeah, Yongje does set things up, but not like, super methodically, he shoots his shots and some of them are rounds he already put on the table.
I disagree, I think Yongjie is very purposeful in how long his story drags on for and how much development he puts into each set up. And more often than not I believe it pays off very well in the story.

But like whatever dude that’s just my point of view on the series, think however you want on the series lol

now go with complex for been a higher plane from the verse and outer for transcending all of creating and layers above the tiering system for being above fiction

Still deadass about the infinite and omniscient he said himself he would add it and why not complex he agrees mori is a higher plane and transcends creation I’m really tranna make this the last time I come here but yea. he also made some mistakes in wording like missing letters I fix that for you.

Back