• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Death Mage That Doesn't Want a Fourth Time General Discussion Thread

Okay so possibly/likely SOL den?
I think a they meet enough requirments to firmly clasify as sol but maybe a likely could be a compromise, anyway, it would be for a future crt.

Currently I'm working in some revisions to Arifureta and after that would return to work in the profiles of Death Mage.

So from the newest chapter, it seem that Van share the same pain as the demon-king-familiar which might give him hivemind type 1 and maybe type 2? It also seem that due to the existence of vitality, pain is felt differently depend on how powerful the attack is and how much vitality the person have, regeneration also seem to affect it too, tho it would just be abnormal pain tolerance and less pain manip resist since pain technique might still work, tho i could be wrong on this.

IIRC he shares all senses with his familiars. I think they kinda have separate minds too (take the scene where van asked to eat one to test cannibalization for example) so type 2 seems right.

Not sure how to list the pain stuff. It should be listed on all pages, but is pain endurance accurate. Its technically just that pain is felt relative to the relevance of damage rather than nerves registering things. I could imagine some scenarios where it actually causes more pain than normal.

Van share all senses with the demon king familiars and spirits do to they having parts of his soul (though even then if they are too much distance away he don't get to receive anything from them), so it makes senses that he could feel their pain.

The pain thing could listed as an unconventional pain resistance or something like that and list the justification as that depending of their vitality stat they feel pain different. One example of this was Legion in their first battle barely feeling when a t-rex bite them and eated part of their flesh.

I have finally done the relativistic speed calc.
Before I throw calc members at it, I wondered if light ghost-based feats would give higher ends or could act as supports. Anyone remember the best feats of people dodging those?
Light ghosts are something relatively new so I'm not sure if there are much feats with them, the closest one I can think is from one of the vampires (an old man one I think) of Birkyne in the fight with Van.

Actually, something similar happen with light magic, there really aren't much dodging feats with them, at the very least in my rereading I haven't really found them.

Side note, I'm currently close to the 70% of the translated chapters. This last two weeks I couldn't continue with the reading do to college, but this week (after finish the new vol of arifureta) I will continue with the reading and create the profile for Schneider.

Hmmm... yeah, those. Looking that fight up the vampire didn't do much dodging of their light attacks, so those probably don't work. Well, just that feat will suffice then.

Starting with a Schneider profile? I don't recall him having so many showings... well, I suppose as S-rank he gets good skill and strength scaling. He also has his special fighting technique and IIRC water walking, so I guess he has some stuff.

Hmmm... yeah, those. Looking that fight up the vampire didn't do much dodging of their light attacks, so those probably don't work. Well, just that feat will suffice then.

Starting with a Schneider profile? I don't recall him having so many showings... well, I suppose as S-rank he gets good skill and strength scaling. He also has his special fighting technique and IIRC water walking, so I guess he has some stuff.
Yeah, there is really not much to use honestly.

There is no much, however he is a quite relevant character in verse and we actually have see how he battle, which is basically using weapon based martial techniques with his body thanks to his unique skill, and we have see his status (even with his Attribute Values which is something quite rare that have only happened with Van, Heinz, Kanata, and him). From his S-rank status there are also several other things that he get, like an aura/bloodlust strong enough to paralyze strong foes, the ability to somehow interact with Divine Realms (since he detect and beat the shit of gods in Divine Realms, like the one he turned in a wyvern), sealing, etc.

Essentially speaking save for some exceptions (extremely minor characters, like the Orcus Gorba, characters that rarely appear, like Kachia who I actually like, or completely non-combative characters, like Tarea) I'm making profiles to basically anyone that have a showed status, that's the biggest reason of why I was taking so much time, because I'm creating and updating dozen of profiles.

Are you sure he didn't have items or party members to help with that? He doesn't seem like the type to know sealing magic.

Are you sure he didn't have items or party members to help with that? He doesn't seem like the type to know sealing magic.
Ah, no, he likely did that with items, like the church weapons able to seal Demon King Fragments that we are show through Heinz party, is just that the ability would still be listed because he still possess such items and the ability to use them as a S-Rank.

Well, assuming he always carries them. But I guess it's fine.

Well, assuming he always carries them. But I guess it's fine.
I mean, his encounters and battles against that sort of things are mostly random, so he would be unable to do much in those situation if he wasn't always prepared with some sealing items.

I'm glad that Death Mage has a topic to discuss, before arriving here I even made a blog: the blog

With that said, here are some observations and opinions:

1-Vandalieu should have empathic manipulation because he can influence the undead and people who are very depressed

2-Regarding the separation of keys, I advocate a separation into more different keys as Van has a lot of growth throughout the work so some of the keys I have thought of so far are: Undead (2 Life) / Post-Darcia Death / Bandits Hunt / Ghoul Village to Noble Orc Army arc / Talosheim arc / Shild Nation Invasion arc / Hartner Duch Arc / Post-Evil God Book / Post-Demon King Fragment Absorption / Post-Ternecia Death / etc...

3-As for the range of the catapult discussed in message number 12 of the thread, I found the range to be 150 to 300 meters

4-And related to Vandalieu's feat of destroying 1/3 of the mountain, considering how casual he was and the fact that Borkus warned him to stop and even acknowledged that he went too far, I understand from what I read that he was capable of destroying the whole mountain

I'm glad that Death Mage has a topic to discuss, before arriving here I even made a blog: the blog

With that said, here are some observations and opinions:

1-Vandalieu should have empathic manipulation because he can influence the undead and people who are very depressed
Think that's covered by his passive mind manipulation, as the charm skill you're thinking of pretty much brainwashes people completely.
2-Regarding the separation of keys, I advocate a separation into more different keys as Van has a lot of growth throughout the work so some of the keys I have thought of so far are: Undead (2 Life) / Post-Darcia Death / Bandits Hunt / Ghoul Village to Noble Orc Army arc / Talosheim arc / Shild Nation Invasion arc / Hartner Duch Arc / Post-Evil God Book / Post-Demon King Fragment Absorption / Post-Ternecia Death / etc...
You could do that. I believe Expectro planned to eventually do that as well. You would have to provide calcs and feats, to make stats for all those keys and then separate the abilities first though. (Which I think he was working on)
Personally, I would say that if two keys end up having the exact same stats they might better be the same key, though.
3-As for the range of the catapult discussed in message number 12 of the thread, I found the range to be 150 to 300 meters
How did you find that range?
4-And related to Vandalieu's feat of destroying 1/3 of the mountain, considering how casual he was and the fact that Borkus warned him to stop and even acknowledged that he went too far, I understand from what I read that he was capable of destroying the whole mountain
That's speculation. And generally one has to keep in mind that feats that would take longer time or multiple attacks would be split up AP wise.

Think that's covered by his passive mind manipulation, as the charm skill you're thinking of pretty much brainwashes people completely.
I still believe this can be incorporated into Van's skills in the case
You could do that. I believe Expectro planned to eventually do that as well. You would have to provide calcs and feats, to make stats for all those keys and then separate the abilities first though. (Which I think he was working on)
Personally, I would say that if two keys end up having the exact same stats they might better be the same key, though.
Hmm, ok
How did you find that range?
I googled the average range of catapults and this result came up.
That's speculation. And generally one has to keep in mind that feats that would take longer time or multiple attacks would be split up AP wise.
Make sense

I was supposed to end with the sandboxes for the verse last year, but after get feed up revising so much stuff in one of the characters summary I watched other verse to relax myself, and ended working in some big ass revisions for that verse (I know, really weird). Now I pretty have finished with that other verse and only need to post the crts, so after that I could begin to work again in Death Mage sandboxes.

Though, just in case anyone want to have a previous look this is how I had Van sandbox until around chapter 200, the keys separation it's for important points in the story and were Van had some differences in stats, the Vandalieu Zakkart one will likely be the last one as after that I don't know how much different his stats would become or if there is some other really significant story point that would warrant yet another key.

I was supposed to end with the sandboxes for the verse last year, but after get feed up revising so much stuff in one of the characters summary I watched other verse to relax myself, and ended working in some big ass revisions for that verse (I know, really weird). Now I pretty have finished with that other verse and only need to post the crts, so after that I could begin to work again in Death Mage sandboxes.

Though, just in case anyone want to have a previous look this is how I had Van sandbox until around chapter 200, the keys separation it's for important points in the story and were Van had some differences in stats, the Vandalieu Zakkart one will likely be the last one as after that I don't know how much different his stats would become or if there is some other really significant story point that would warrant yet another key.
When I thought about creating these various keys, I was thinking about how he gains new and great abilities, for example Undead Vandalieu from the 2nd life is stated to be stronger than the Vandalieu from Hartner Duch Arc and after eating the evil god within the book.

Although at the beginning he shouldn't have many changes due to his abilities being more focused on his followers, so Post-Darcia Death and Bandit hunt can be merged into a single key that those who really suffer any clear change are the undead.

But Ghoul Village a Noble Orc arc Vandalieu went through training with Zadiris and demonstrated the ability to kill a high rank monster by himself, when at the time when Darcia had died he relied heavily on his skeletons and golems to fight for him and this happens before he gets a job

Talosheim arc / Shild Nation Invasion arc / Hartner Duch Arc could merge into a single key also come to think of it, since the three are practically the same, but I argue that Vandalieu should have a different key from the time he accidentally eats the evil god until the time he acquires his first fragment of the demon king, since during this period of time he obtains another 50 million mana plus his skills, goes on a rampage because of Heinz and obtains the ability to scream and create dungeons and then reaches the castle dungeon where he obtains the fire ghosts and the blood of the demon king

When I thought about creating these various keys, I was thinking about how he gains new and great abilities, for example Undead Vandalieu from the 2nd life is stated to be stronger than the Vandalieu from Hartner Duch Arc and after eating the evil god within the book.

Although at the beginning he shouldn't have many changes due to his abilities being more focused on his followers, so Post-Darcia Death and Bandit hunt can be merged into a single key that those who really suffer any clear change are the undead.

But Ghoul Village a Noble Orc arc Vandalieu went through training with Zadiris and demonstrated the ability to kill a high rank monster by himself, when at the time when Darcia had died he relied heavily on his skeletons and golems to fight for him and this happens before he gets a job
I thought in doing an Undead key at the beginning, the problem is that there is actually not much to use for it as most of Van at that time was unknow, something even more reinforced by the fact that the Undead didn't have any status to verify his stuff. In the case of other reincarnators it's easier because the moment they die we are show their status in Lamba so we know what they had in Origin.

If we went that route of making keys for most arcs we would end with dozen of keys, which is dumb, the keys I use are for those significant points in the story where Van powers, stats and followers were greatly different, on top of be important points for the story so it makes sense to make the distinction at those parts.

Pre-Jobs: Vol 1 and part of vol 2. Van didn't have any bonuses from jobs and had a limited skill set and stats due to that, he also only had Ghouls as followers.
Post-Jobs: Vol 2 to most of vol 4. Van gain the bonuses from Jobs, which let him gain several new abilities and increase his stats, he had Talosheim as followers.
Post-Demon King Fragments: Vol 4 until most of vol 8. Vandalieu gained all the bizarre abilities and power ups from the fragments, he had Talosheim and other nations as part of his followers.
Vandalieu Zakkart: End of vol 8 and onwards. Vandalieu have his status as demigod, tens of superior and unique skills, have gods/divine beings as followers, etc.

I googled the average range of catapults and this result came up.
Problem is that the average catapult doesn't launch projectiles like that, so it's probably inapplicable.

Problem is that the average catapult doesn't launch projectiles like that, so it's probably inapplicable.
Magic catapults coming from a superhuman world, the average range is a reasonable thing, more than the 100 meters originally estimated as it is based on something more concrete than the initial estimate, in the work there was no reason to really doubt this information.

I thought in doing an Undead key at the beginning, the problem is that there is actually not much to use for it as most of Van at that time was unknow, something even more reinforced by the fact that the Undead didn't have any status to verify his stuff. In the case of other reincarnators it's easier because the moment they die we are show their status in Lamba so we know what they had in Origin.
That's reasonable, although I believe we have enough to make a key for it...
If we went that route of making keys for most arcs we would end with dozen of keys, which is dumb, the keys I use are for those significant points in the story where Van powers, stats and followers were greatly different, on top of be important points for the story so it makes sense to make the distinction at those parts.
This is understandable, I just thought it would be easier to cast other minor characters if I had a larger amount of keys since the Vandalieu who fought Father Gordan during the invasion of the Mirg nation is different from the Vandalieu who ate that evil god unintentionally and who acquired the ability to create dungeons when I first meet Heinz.
Pre-Jobs: Vol 1 and part of vol 2. Van didn't have any bonuses from jobs and had a limited skill set and stats due to that, he also only had Ghouls as followers.
Post-Jobs: Vol 2 to most of vol 4. Van gain the bonuses from Jobs, which let him gain several new abilities and increase his stats, he had Talosheim as followers.
Post-Demon King Fragments: Vol 4 until most of vol 8. Vandalieu gained all the bizarre abilities and power ups from the fragments, he had Talosheim and other nations as part of his followers.
Vandalieu Zakkart: End of vol 8 and onwards. Vandalieu have his status as demigod, tens of superior and unique skills, have gods/divine beings as followers, etc.
I'm fine with that then, I just thought about these keys because I didn't know that there was already someone working on creating more keys, so it's good if it makes it easier to complete his profile...

Magic catapults coming from a superhuman world, the average range is a reasonable thing, more than the 100 meters originally estimated as it is based on something more concrete than the initial estimate, in the work there was no reason to really doubt this information.
If the magic is strong enough to launch the projectile that far that would be reasonable.
Problem is, the very thing the calc seeks to justify is that the magic is so strong that it can launch a projectile the assumed distance.
You don't know that the magic is strong enough to accomplish the feat of launching a giant projectile as far as a regular catapult would launch a small projectile, before the result of the calc tells you that.
So the reasoning you propose is circular, as you use an assumption about how powerful the magic is in it.

If the magic is strong enough to launch the projectile that far that would be reasonable.
Problem is, the very thing the calc seeks to justify is that the magic is so strong that it can launch a projectile the assumed distance.
You don't know that the magic is strong enough to accomplish the feat of launching a giant projectile as far as a regular catapult would launch a small projectile, before the result of the calc tells you that.
So the reasoning you propose is circular, as you use an assumption about how powerful the magic is in it.
People have used cow bodies to launch catapults and anyway, the average range is a reasonable metric to use in the calculation, I've seen many calculations use information as is as standard with as much information as we have now.

I took a look at the sandbox and I say it's very good, now we need more calculations for AP, Lifting Strength and speed and it will be perfect

You can look at what I have here, there are all the sandboxes of profiles I have made thus far and the blogs. The reason of why I have taken so long it's because of the big amount of profiles (46 and growing), as it's easy to see why edit so many things can be quite bothersome.

You can look at what I have here, there are all the sandboxes of profiles I have made thus far and the blogs. The reason of why I have taken so long it's because of the big amount of profiles (46 and growing), as it's easy to see why edit so many things can be quite bothersome.
This is Very impress...

Well, I recently created a blog where I am inserting some excerpts that I found useful to help with the scale and achieve achievements that may be useful. Of course, none of the calculations I made should be taken seriously and serve more as a general estimate of the resulting value.

The Blog

When Van's profile is completed, you could make a profile for his Empire too, it would be fun to put the empire in a Versus battle

So, I'm rereading the story to continue with the sandboxes and begin with the calculations, so here are the calcs I did about the Noble Orcs fight. I would have also liked to get some speed from this but I don't know how I could calc the speed feats in that battle.

So, I'm rereading the story to continue with the sandboxes and begin with the calculations, so here are the calcs I did about the Noble Orcs fight. I would have also liked to get some speed from this but I don't know how I could calc the speed feats in that battle.
Depending on the number of panels used to perform an action, you can use standard time periods such as: 1s, 3s, 5s, 10s and so on.

Depending on the number of panels used to perform an action, you can use standard time periods such as: 1s, 3s, 5s, 10s and so on.
For things like Bugogan defending against the barrage of mana bullets or Ghouls attacks, those things are hard to quantify due to not having a speed to use for said projectiles. But if you feel confident enough to get a decent result with any of those feats and can get some approval with it then do it.

Back