• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Bare Minimum Magneto Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
Magneto's file currently lists him at 5-B based off two scans, but further analysis of them leads to... questionable validity:
  • The Space Bullet:
    • Even before anything, this is a peak feat that should VERY BLATANTLY not scale to Magneto's output in most scenarios, he has to stay for days focusing on the bullet and is bleeding throughout
    • Also like, this feat straight up doesn't look 5-B, you can see that the space bullet isn't even that big compared to San Francisco, and it being "planet-busting" can mean ******* anything higher than the Chixclub Impactor, hell even lower in some cases.
    • File also states he "stopped" it, I don't see anywhere in the scan stating that, looks like he blew it up moreso, that'll mean it's a frag calc and not a KE calc. Frag calcs are way lower
    • They also said the bullet is moving at approximately the same speed as light, which I don't think is allowed for KE calcs
  • Controlling the Planet's EM field:
    • Again I just don't think that is 5-B, and I don't think he can turn it all into his output.
So we probably need replacement for his feats, feel free to give suggestions, or we're just listing him at Unknown

Last edited:
Meh, if I'm honest those feats look kinda wonky, so idk.
  • Black Bolt looks okay
  • Cyclops is variable tier
  • He pretty bluntly states he's able to do fuckall to human-world Hercules in the same scan (and in general Namor has "fight everyone" syndrome)
  • Mjolnir feat looks like LS
So eh

I'll see if I can find more. IIRC he's listed as an omega-level mutant and is a consistent enemy of the X-Men so you should probably be able to scale him to Storm, Cable, Iceman, etc.

There's also him blocking hits from Thor and She-Hulk and he says it's physical force, so that's a thing too. In a different fight (or maybe the same, idk) he says his shield could defend him against the first few blows of Thor's hammer but would break eventually

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/4/47999/1127050-magfiresstonesshield7jj.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but, does the space bullet actually hit, and what does the destruction look like if it does? I agree that the bullet looks small.

I'll see if I can find more. IIRC he's listed as an omega-level mutant and is a consistent enemy of the X-Men so you should probably be able to scale him to Storm, Cable, Iceman, etc.

There's also him blocking hits from Thor and She-Hulk and he says it's physical force, so that's a thing too. In a different fight (or maybe the same, idk) he says his shield could defend him against the first few blows of Thor's hammer but would break eventually

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/4/47999/1127050-magfiresstonesshield7jj.jpg
These look fine, we have better ratings for his forcefields.

I guess now his AP needs work
Pardon my ignorance, but, does the space bullet actually hit
I don't think it does

Well the bullet doesn't sound like a real feat to me then.

A cursory search of the internet shows that destroying the earth's magnetic fields would leave the planet vulnerable to many cosmic energy events, but it wouldn't destroy the planet directly.

There could be other 5-B feats, but I agree with your analysis in the OP.

Honestly as Zephyros said offsite, AP for Magneto is a weird concept because his method of combat is LS dependent over anything else.

Like I wouldn't even be that shocked if we just have no Tiering feats

Yeah, there's some calcable feats like lifting the X-Mansion and a few mountain busts, but it's not really fully applicable. I guess we can find some sort of KE feat from using something as a projectiile though.

• Also like, this feat straight up doesn't look 5-B, you can see that the space bullet isn't even that big compared to San Francisco, and it being "planet-busting" can mean ******* anything higher than the Chixclub Impactor, hell even lower in some cases.
The bullet was moving at near-light speeds. An object the size of San Francisco going that fast easily has enough kinetic power to destroy a planet.

Though I'm 100% with you that this is Magneto at max effort over multiple days of effort. He AP does not backscale to this.

Stated to be moon sized, so rq:
Using a 9mm bullet as a basis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×19mm_Parabellum
Overall length: 29.69mm (assuming moon size meant the length)
Moon diameter = 3474200 meters
Ratio: (3474200/0.02969)^3 = 1.6022632e24x
9mm bullet mass: 7.45 g/0.00745 kg
Mass: 1.1936861e22 kg
Once again using 90% c for speed
KE = 1388412841954185163635082461597311161149 joules, 331.83 ninatons of TNT Dwarf star level
My only comment on this thread. Though it’s worth noting Magneto is probably physically higher anyways given how much he bullies Cyclops and Colossus

I’d just have his AP rating at unknown cuz as mentioned earlier his attack method is mainly LS reliant

Emma Frost is a supergenius incapable of making hyperbolic approximations, yeah.

In general like, it's also shown to be a very small fraction of that size in practice
so rq:
Using a 9mm bullet as a basis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×19mm_Parabellum
Overall length: 29.69mm (assuming moon size meant the length)
Moon diameter = 3474200 meters
Ratio: (3474200/0.02969)^3 = 1.6022632e24x
9mm bullet mass: 7.45 g/0.00745 kg
Mass: 1.1936861e22 kg
Once again using 90% c for speed
KE = 1388412841954185163635082461597311161149 joules, 331.83 ninatons of TNT Dwarf star level
@Armorchompy @DMUA Is this method of Relativistic KE legit orrr?
My only comment on this thread. Though it’s worth noting Magneto is probably physically higher anyways given how much he bullies Cyclops and Colossus
.>:V

Last edited:
Sorry, really busy these days so can't compile feats, but he does have feats of fighting against Thor and quite a few of them. Why don't we use that instead?

relativistic ke is indeed what we use until the speed of the projectiles reaches 0.93 c

We don't have a metric for what it reaches, it's just stated to be approximately the speed of light :v

as long as it's below SoL it can be calculated one way or the other

Scaling lots of characters to 5-A based on an outlier Gray Hulk feat has likely created very exaggerated statistics for them. As such, it seems better to get more of their own feats calculated instead, including Magneto's.

Scaling lots of characters to 5-A based on an outlier Gray Hulk feat has likely created very exaggerated statistics for them. As such, it seems better to get more of their own feats calculated instead, including Magneto's.
Yeah agreed. The scaling chain right now is insanely long. It needs changes

Your input would also be appreciated here.
The AP downgrade seems fine. Though, I'm not sure if stopping Mjolnir works as a lifting strength feat, since it seems more to do with his power over metal rather than like, overcoming the worthiness requirement. Iirc there's a Marvel guide that says Mjolnir is 42 pounds, but even without that, I don't think stopping Mjolnir off of its weight would be really impressive. He probably has some other LS feats I'm not aware of, though.

This basically.

Don't scale him to more 5-A/4-B chars, it's just going to keep digging a hole in it, just his own feats for now.

Imo, If you want to power-scale him, do it with the X-Men characters and their feats, because is probably far more reliable to scale Magneto with people he's constantly familar with, than with supers he mostly meets in big events like Thor.

Granted, I'm probably the worst when it comes to X-Men knowledge, so he might actually battle the God of Thunder and similarly stronger beings more often than not.

It's better to have people in the system than it is not, 5-A is probably gonna get oof'd in the future and less stragglers we have the better.

To be honest I always prefer scaling comic characters to their own feats than to each other, but oh well.

I'm watching this, I'll see if I can help with anything. I know Magneto does have plenty of AP feats, but it is difficult to tell how much is LS and how much is AP.

I remember discussing this with Zark a while back, Magneto is a weird one to rate properly due to how his powers work.
You're probably better off going "[WHATEVER HE SCALES TO] physically, far higher with Magnetic Powers"

I think our best bet for Magnetism AP is find the KE of something he launches or something since that's the most offensively applicaton of his power aside from haxxy stuff.

Isn't reversing the speed of the planet-destroying bullet via days of meditation his best feat? Or does hehave better ones?

Well... His best feat would be ripping Phoenix into gazillion pieces and sending it across space, but... We know how terrible Phoenix's feats are most of the time.

(Gotta downgrade her too one day.)

Okay then. What are his other best feats that are possible to calculate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back