• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Authority Respect Thread.

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
Lol, The Authority is the weakest character in fiction, he died to the wind.
~ Everyone who never read His Dark Materials​

Shut up and buckle up, I am about to show you how you're wrong.

No, but seriously, that is an extreme misconception. The Authority which is super old, immobile, and died to the wind is an Authority that is... Well, old. Beyond belief. many thousands of years too old, and suspended in stasis so he won't die like he naturally should.

People don't know that The Authority in his prime was actually quite a decently powerful character.

"Wherever it goes, there is the heart of the Kingdom, his citadel, his palace. When the Authority was young, it wasn't surrounded by clouds, but as time passed, he gathered them around him more and more thickly. No one has seen the summit for thousands of years. So his citadel is known now as the Clouded Mountain."
First of, the Authority created the Clouded Mountain, a literal floating Mountain-fortress that serves as his citadel. He also surrounded it with thick storm clouds.

"Baruch said, "Well, there is a world of the dead. Where it is, and what happens there, no one knows. My ghost, thanks to Balthamos, never went there; I am what was once the ghost of Baruch. The world of the dead is just dark to us.""
The angel Balthamos turns someone's spirit into an angel when they died. This is Soul Manipulation, and also Multiversal Range, since there is only one Afterlife for the entire multiverse in His Dark Materials. Angels can send souls to the Afterlife, or take them to make new angels.

"It reminded her of a certain abominable heresy, whose author was now deservedly languishing in the dungeons of the Consistorial Court. He had suggested that there were more spatial dimensions than the three familiar ones—that on a very small scale, there were up to seven or eight other dimensions, but that they were impossible to examine directly. He had even constructed a model to show how they might work, and Mrs. Coulter had seen the object before it was exorcised and burned. Folds within folds, corners and edges both containing and being contained: its inside was everywhere and its outside was everywhere else. The Clouded Mountain affected her in a similar way: it was less like a rock than like a force field, manipulating space itself to enfold and stretch and layer it into galleries and terraces, chambers and colonnades and watchtowers of air and light and vapor."
The Clouded Mountain is folded through 7th or 8th Dimensional Space, making it more like a Force Field, making it stretch and twist in unnatural ways. These dimensions are realistic though, existing on a very small scale, so it obviously isn't a 1-C feat.

"The barometric altimeter was little use in the storm, but she could judge her altitude roughly by watching the fires on the ground that blazed where angels fell; despite the hurtling rain, they were still flaring high. As for the course, that wasn't difficult, either: the lightning that flickered around the Mountain served as a brilliant beacon. But she had to avoid the various flying beings who were still fighting in the air, and keep clear of the rising land below. She didn't use the lights, because she wanted to get close and find somewhere to land before they saw her and shot her down. As she flew closer, the updrafts became more violent, the gusts more sudden and brutal. A gyropter would have had no chance: the savage air would have slammed it to the ground like a fly. In the intention craft she could move lightly with the wind, adjusting her balance like a wave rider in the Peaceable Ocean."
The intensity of the endless storm around the Clouded Mountain.

"A flight of angels, armed with spears and swords, had emerged from the Clouded Mountain to meet the witches head-on. They had the wind behind them, and they sped forward faster than arrows; but the witches were equal to that, and the first ones soared up high and then dived into the ranks of the angels, lashing to left and right with their flaring torches. Angel after angel, outlined in fire, their wings ablaze, tumbled screaming from the air. And then the first great drops of rain came down. If the commander in the storm clouds meant to douse the witch fires, he was disappointed; the pitch pine and the bitumen blazed defiance at it, spitting and hissing more loudly as more rain splashed into them. The raindrops hit the ground as if they'd been hurled in malice, breaking and splashing up into the air. Within a minute Lyra and Will were both soaked to the skin and shaking with cold, and the rain stung their heads and arms like tiny stones."
Even regular angels can influence the weather and call down lightning and rain.

"Will managed to glance upward and saw the clouds stirring and swirling, and that gleam—something immense—growing more powerful, as if the clouds themselves were becoming luminous with energy, like plasma."
Energy Manipulation on the storm clouds, making them luminous with plasma-like energy.

"He hurled himself at Will, shaking his arm, his shoulder, his hands, and the attacker was trying to shout again, but Baruch's hand was over his mouth. From above came a deep tremor, like a mighty dynamo, almost too low to hear, though it shook the very atoms of the air and jolted the marrow in Will's bones."
An angel creates a deep tremor which shakes the air to an atomic level.

""In this world human beings have dæmons, and if I go about without one, they'll be suspicious. Lyra was frightened of me at first because of that. So if we're going to travel in her world, you'll have to pretend to be my dæmon, and take the shape of some animal. A bird, maybe. Then you could fly, at least."
"Oh, how tedious."
"Can you, though?"
"I could . . ."
"Do it now, then. Let me see."
The form of the angel seemed to condense and swirl into a little vortex in midair, and then a blackbird swooped down onto the grass at Will's feet.
"Fly to my shoulder," said Will.
The bird did so, and then spoke in the angel's familiar acid tone:
"I shall only do this when it's absolutely necessary. It's unspeakably humiliating."
"Too bad," said Will. "Whenever we see people in this world, you become a bird. There's no point in fussing or arguing. Just do it."
The blackbird flew off his shoulder and vanished in midair, and there was the angel again, sulking in the half-light."

Angels can shapeshift at will.

""I swear, Metatron, her d├ªmon is in my power. Please, great Regent, hide yourself a little—my eyes are dazzled . . ." He drew a veil of cloud in front of himself. Now it was like looking at the sun through smoked glass, and her eyes could see him more clearly, though she still pretended to be dazzled by his face. He was exactly like a man in early middle age, tall, powerful, and commanding. Was he clothed? Did he have wings? She couldn't tell because of the force of his eyes. She could look at nothing else."
Metatron can move clouds with Telekinesis with ease.

Also The Authority at his prime could move between the universes through some unspecified means, either teleportation or portal creation. And even as he grew older he could still communicate telepathically across universes with people from the Biblical stories like Moses, and create illusions and minor miracles that convinced people he was God. So Mind Manipulation was also involved.

So there should be a Peak Key for the Authority, where he would be ranked as Mountain level for creating the Clouded Mountain, keeping it levitating, and surrounding it with endless storms. And it'd have these following powers:

Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Longevity, Shapeshifting, Matter Manipulation, Soul Manipulation, Telekinesis, Teleportation / Portal Creation, Telepathy, Energy Manipulation, Air Manipulation / Earth Manipulation, Weather Manipulation, Spatial Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, Illusions and Flight / Levitation.

And Multiversal Range for the non-physical abilities.

Hmm... The Authority might move past being memetic.

I was wondering whether or not this character had any showings from prior to the point of His Dark Materials where he's dustmite-tier. This looks good.

Wonder how many people are gonna click on this thinking it's a joke.

I think the Authority is Yamcha 2.0. The character every makes fun of and says is pathetic but is actually pretty strong in its own right

Well. Authority in his prime.

And... Well... Ultra Instinct Yamcha will happen one day......

one day.......

No, the one we've been making fun of is still grain-of-sand level. It's just that we've been ignoring a "prime" version that's actually good.

It's like what would happen if the only version of Saruma we knew of was him after his staff got destroyed and he lost his powers.

@King fair enough forgot this is him In his prime. So should he have a separate key for his prime?

I don't see the point of even keeping a 11-C Key. It is literally held in stasis in a state of undead not doing anything and the only thing it does is die.

I actually do remember reading this somewhere...

But kudos to you, Matty

Hey.....

Authority vs an inFAMOUS Second Son character?

>I say in an Authority Vs Match to Matt that someone should make a Content Revision Thread about this.

>Within an hour, Matt has done so.

I am astonished. But this is a pleasant surprise. Glad to know there's more to The Authority than a raving mad wimp.

Incidentally, do we know the durability for the Crystal Prison? I mean, that thing kept The Authority in stasis, no? What was its shape? Was it a cube, or did it have bars? If it protects him, are there gaps to send projectiles through? What kind of force is needed to break it down?

The meme is false tho. The Authority survived the pressure of being held in the paragraph before his death.

She was gazing into the crystal litter. It was unbroken, although the crystal was stained and smeared with mud and the blood from what the cliff-ghasts had been eating before they found it. It lay tilted crazily among the rocks, and inside it--
"Oh, Will, he's still alive! But--the poor thing..."
Will saw her hands pressing against the crystal, trying to reach in to the angel and comfort him; because he was so old, and he was terrified, crying like a baby and cowering away into the lowest corner.
"He must be so old--I've never seen anyone suffering like that--oh, Will, can't we let him out?"
Will cut through the crystal in one movement and reached in to help the angel out. Demented and powerless, the aged being could only weep and mumble in fear and pain and misery, and he shrank away from what seemed like yet another threat.
"It's all right," Will said, "we can help you hide, at least. Come on, we won't hurt you."
The shaking hand seized his and feebly held on. The old one was uttering a wordless groaning whimper that went on and on, and grinding his teeth, and compulsively plucking at himself with his free hand; but as Lyra reached in, too, to help him out, he tried to smile, and to bow, and his ancient eyes deep in their wrinkles blinked at her with innocent wonder.
Between them they helped the ancient of days out of his crystal cell; it wasn't hard, for he was as light as paper, and he would have followed them anywhere, having no will of his own, and responding to simple kindness like a flower to the sun. But in the open air there was nothing to stop the wind from damaging him, and to their dismay his form began to loosen and dissolve. Only a few moments later he had vanished completely, and their last impression was of those eyes, blinking in wonder, and a sigh of the most profound and exhausted relief.
Then he was gone: a mystery dissolving in mystery. It had all taken less than a minute, and Will turned back at once to the fallen Chevalier. He picked up the little body, cradling it in his palms, and found his tears flowing fast.

He died because he was supposed to have died and faded to dust like all angels do millennia ago. And it took him a minute or so for him to fade, it wasn't instant. And you don't have to be a rocket scientists to figure out that a hand-grip exert more joules than the wind.

So even 10-C isn't that pathetic as the meme says.

The 10-C key is unnecessary, is like having a key for Goku with the heart virus or Goku off guard.

Goku being off Guard did not start the Composite Tree Spam.

"Incidentally, do we know the durability for the Crystal Prison? I mean, that thing kept The Authority in stasis, no? What was its shape? Was it a cube, or did it have bars? If it protects him, are there gaps to send projectiles through? What kind of force is needed to break it down?"

No one in the Verse could break it. Will needed a special knife to cut it open. And it was a floating bubble.

Matthew Schroeder said:
"Incidentally, do we know the durability for the Crystal Prison? I mean, that thing kept The Authority in stasis, no? What was its shape? Was it a cube, or did it have bars? If it protects him, are there gaps to send projectiles through? What kind of force is needed to break it down?"
No one in the Verse could break it. Will needed a special knife to cut it open. And it was a floating bubble.

Thank you very much for the answer, Matt!

Given how long he was in it, this sounds like something possibly worth noting in his profile; Knowing if it has gaps or not & how durable it is & knowing enough for people to be sure to consider including or not including it in his matches seems reasonable IMHO.

Even if we aren't using the 10-C The Authority, I think it would still be info worth displaying.

s MrKingOfNegativity said:
I was wondering whether or not this character had any showings from prior to the point of His Dark Materials where he's dustmite-tier. This looks good.
Wonder how many people are gonna click on this thinking it's a joke.

...woa

who would thought The Authority was actually a decently powerful character with some good hax before... being turned into a meme

Wow... So this meme has ascended to actual compitence? Truly a thing to be seen

Wokeshaq
Real talk tho. Are we gonna add a new tab for his prime form?

Personally I think with how popular and notable of a character the memetically weak Authority has become, that we should keep it. Or at least there'd be no harm in us doing so. Of course a prime Authority with these feats should be added though. And an immobile character that was at least damaged by the wind is still a pathetically weak 10-C, if maybe not as much as the meme is.

So a meme character is a super-haxxed 7-A in his prime. I'm dead.

Who's the knowledgeable member of this series, IIRC is it Monarch Laciel?

It should be Matthew Schroeder for the time being, seeing that he has created this thread and presented the knowledge that has left us pondering. As for creating a bio for him, it is agreeable that it should be separate, for at least those who wanted to take The Authority more seriously.

Back