• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Ashen One is missing something important.

XSOULOFCINDERX

They/Them
This is my first CRT I've ever made myself, so try to cut me some slack.

So I just realized that The Ashen One is missing his Ability to copy people's fighting Styles after slaying them and gaining their weaponry. A good example is the Abyss Watcher's Sword and Dagger Beyblade Combo you can do or getting Friede's Scythes and copy her Combos and Ice Powers that come with them, but an even better example is when you get Artorias' Sword and start using his techniques from when he was a ****** up Berserker despite having never even seen or heard of him before.

I believe that this fits the power "Psychometry" like a glove or at least Power Mimicry. Accelerated Development would probably work as well.

Ashen One's Profile: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Ashen_One?mobile-app=false

Psychometry: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Psychometry?mobile-app=false

Last edited:
agree with power mimicry, though it could be limited in that it requires killing the opponent/gaining their weapons

Isn't this just game mechanics? there is no explanation of this in the lore. It's just that every weapon has a fixed move set tbh.

Isn't this just game mechanics? there is no explanation of this in the lore. It's just that every weapon has a fixed move set tbh.
How would it be just Game Mechanics? You know he does the same thing with weapons that don't come from Boss Souls too right? Like the Ring Knight and Black Knight weaponry, both of which you can only get after killing them, so it makes sense that he'd be able to fight like them. I'm not even talking about Special Moves at this point either considering he also has the same animations as the enemies he kills to get them, it isn't just generic sword swing 1 and 2.

Another thing I could use to support this, albeit weirdly, are Item Descriptions because some of the info you get from certain items you should have absolutely no way of knowing. Like the Ruin Knight Armor or the Nameless King's Gear Descriptions or really everything from the Ringed City DLC.

Another thing I could use to support this, albeit weirdly, are Item Descriptions because some of the info you get from certain items you should have absolutely no way of knowing. Like the Ruin Knight Armor or the Nameless King's Gear Descriptions or really everything from the Ringed City DLC.
I mean this is blatantly game mechanics, it's not like your character actually knows the things on the item description. I can concede the power mimicry thing (I still don't agree with it if it isn't explained at all)

I don't really see why him copying techniques are game mechanics, honestly. The other part i'm fine with calling game mechanics, but copying the techniques themselves should just be taken if we treat the Souls games gameplay as canon, which we seem to.

I mean it's literally a direct result of the moveset mechanic of the weapons
I don't see why that's assumed to be a game mechanic straight off? We know they can animate characters not using weapons properly and you do that if you don't have the stats for it. I'm failing to see how that's a game mechanic.

I agree this is game mechanics though

It isn't like Ashen One himself is learning these moves. They are tied to the weapons. Ashen One isn't learning new shit each time he slaps on a new weapon. Let's not be silly.

Because it's the simplest solution to the question of 'why can the Ashen one perfectly replicate the movesets of his opponents instantly' rather then assuming he can perfectly copying their moves instantly.

So, what you're saying is that they're set movesets and it's purely a game mechanic? Doesn't that mean we shouldn't use them at all lmao?

But the moveset he's copying is a game mechanic. It's just a set moveset tied to the weapon, meaning the abilities he gets aren't actually his abilities and are game mechanics.

All of the abilities he gets from weapon's aren't from their movesets anyway. They are just properties of the weapon like 'life drain' for lifehunt scythe as an example

If there was something in the lore to imply that he learns their skills by the process of transposition or something I would agree.

So, what you're saying is that they're set movesets and it's purely a game mechanic? Doesn't that mean we shouldn't use them at all lmao?
This may be the worst take I've ever seen.

The equipment clearly gives him some abilities. We're saying that because he happens to swing them similarly to their original wielders is game mechanics because it would require them to add multiple movesets for singular weapons otherwise. They are mechanically bound to being used the same way others use them.

This may be the worst take I've ever seen.

The equipment clearly gives him some abilities. We're saying that because he happens to swing them similarly to their original wielders is game mechanics because it would require them to add multiple movesets for singular weapons otherwise. They are mechanically bound to being used the same way others use them.
That's like a Text Book example of copying Fighting Styles though. He literally learns it as soon as he gets their shit. Even still, Power Mimicry literally says on the page that you don't have to be 1 to 1 with the original to be Power Mimicry, so there's that too.

That's like a Text Book example of copying Fighting Styles though. He literally learns it as soon as he gets their shit. Even still, Power Mimicry literally says on the page that you don't have to be 1 to 1 with the original to be Power Mimicry, so there's that too.
It would be power mimicry if he could use their movesets with a completely different weapon.

I'm pretty sure him not being able to do it with other weapons is the Gameplay Limitation, not the other way around, especially with the ******* Farron Greatsword since it literally has no special attributes it just comes with two weapons. The Parrying Dagger could literally be used with any other weapon and still work just fine.

It would be power mimicry if he could use their movesets with a completely different weapon.
he can with feeting weapons though

we see the weapon art of the lothric straight sword from a lothric knight and we are capable of replicating it with a straight sword and a polash

the main reason as to why ashen one doesn't start spining with a regular syth or swinging his straight sword wildly after fighting freyda and a ring knight is because those weapons are simply not fit for that fighting style

I agree this is game mechanics though

It isn't like Ashen One himself is learning these moves. They are tied to the weapons. Ashen One isn't learning new shit each time he slaps on a new weapon. Let's not be silly.
This. It'd be the same for literally every single soulsborne game, The Hunter from Bloodborne would also get it for using all possible weapons in the exact same way as the original user.

It literally isn't, and trying to portray it as such is concerning to say the least. He doesn't learn it. He can't use the fighting styles outside of those specific weapons. Because they are mechanically bound to those weapons.

Back