• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unconventional Power Mimicry or Accelerated Development or just extended Power Granting for Hatou Manabu and the limits of it... also weapon mastery

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
Alright, so Hatou can use the fact that she can share her mind with versions of herself of alternate pasts to get herself new abilities:
Do you remember what I did back in junior high for Yukari’s sake?”

“Yes, of course. I wanted to be prepared in case something happened, so I practiced the naginata. And that’s definitely helped me out of a lot of tough spots...”

Yes, exactly.

I wanted to be prepared, so I made sure to keep up my training with the naginata. Until I joined Jaunt in the present I had never stopped, and because of that I managed to get out of quite a few dificult situations. If my body weren’t in peak physical shape, then I could have never made it this far. However...

“Then tell me this. Where did I learn all this information about quantum mechanics?”

“...... Eh?”

“We stopped, remember? I’m pretty sure you do. After Yukari transferred away from our school, I stopped keeping up with the naginata and just started reading books. For almost a year I didn’t practice the naginata at all, and actually got quite a bit out of shape, but right now I’m in such good physical condition that you can’t tell I had stopped training at all. So, what happened to that chunk of my past when I was studying?”

“... That’s...”

“Back then, what I wanted to prepare for is being able to join Jaunt. That’s why I was studying so hard. Remember? Back then, I would’ve never thought that Yukari would be killed. So there would’ve been no reason to ‘prepare’ by toughening my body up. So therein lies a contradiction.

Right now, my body is de nitely in good shape...

... Yes, in order to learn the truth behind Yukari’s death, I needed a body that could move around easily, a body with a lot of stamina.

So I changed the past.

I abandoned the past in which I had studied hard, and chose the past in which I had continued my physical training.

All of our knowledge is shared, so I never noticed. But this is purely just me not noticing, and I am sure there are various other cases in which I changed the past. Without knowing it.
(Conversation of Hatou with another version of herself, from Chapter 9)

That should also give her weapon mastery of the Naginata, but that is just on the side. What's important here is that Hatou can essentially get in a lifetime of training in something, by simply choosing a past for herself in which she did in fact spend a lifetime training that thing.

Later on Hatou takes this further. Instead of choosing a past in which she has trained, she chooses a past in which she was born with supernatural talents.
If I was powerless to face Jaunt, then I would just find a me that had power.

For example... a me that could use magic.
If there really were an infinite number of parallel worlds, then there must be at least one world in which I could use magic.

And if I could find just one, then from that point that world would become the standard for other worlds.

This was the way I should’ve always used the power of infinite possibilities. “Hello!”

“Yeah, leave it to me! I can definitely do this!”

Yes, for me, this was possible... and honestly, I’ve always wanted to try this anyways.

Becoming a magical girl, I mean.

How could I now use magic, you ask?

Instead of magic, you could say “superpowers” instead. And honestly, neither the reason nor the path that got me to this point ma er. Maybe it was some kind of mutation, or maybe some external source changed my genetic code, or maybe it was even something else. There were infinite possibilities, but the only thing that mattered was the result.

First, I started by looking for me’s who thought they could do magic. The minute I found a me like that, all the me’s became like that. And then, I looked for the me’s who actually could do something.

And the minute I found a me like that, once again all the me’s became like that. Theory? Reason? Don’t care. Don’t need any of that. The ends would create the means. Whether you believed in the Copenhagen interpretation or the Many Worlds interpretation, the end result was the same. Just slap whatever useful theory you wanted onto it (even in physics, the only reason the Copenhagen interpretation was the most popular one was because it was simply more convenient than the Many Worlds interpretation). So I just needed to think flexibly. I just needed to innocently demand results without thinking about the means to get there.

The next step was to find a me that actually had a useful power.

At that point, I had to actually go and try these powers out for myself, but I had all the time in the world, and all the worlds as well, for that ma er. So I would be ne. Someday, I would definitely reach my goal...

In one world, I was discovered shooting fire from my fingers and taken to the hospital.

In one world, I failed at teleportation and melded into a wall, killing myself.

In one world, I was seen flying through the sky, and I was captured by the Japanese Self Defense Force or some organization like that.
(From Chapter 10)

Combine that with the fact that she can replace/possess any human in history and it becomes even crazier. (for scans I will lazily link to my respect blog on this one)
So, if she for example wanted to become a good sword fighter, she could possess/replace the greatest swordsman in history. Then she could use their talented body to fight and go through his exact training regimen to gain his skill.

Now Hatou has already power granting listed. One could expand on that to add her being able to learn mundane stuff instantly. Or one could list it as accelerated development, as she essentially can get an infinite amount of training done instantly.

I also mentioned power mimicry in the title and that requires a bit more roundabout thinking.
Say she is in a fight with Harry Potter. Now, as the Time Travel page explains
In a fight between characters of various franchises, time travelers should usually be assumed to able to travel into the past of either franchise for the sake of verse equalization.
So Hatou can do all her time stuff in Harry Potter's verse. So she can probably just do the same as when she gave herself magic power to make herself a muggle-born wizard. Even if we are strict and say she can't do that, she could still just possess/replace Hermione Granger and that way become a wizard. And then Hatou could, as Hermione, go to Hogwarts and learn how to use those powers to their full potential.
So Hatou can in essence get a copy of the verse's wizard powers via a very roundabout method.
And since Hatou uses her quantum uncertainty to take every action physically possible to her, this is in-character as well.

So by some very unconventional means one could say she has a kind of Power Mimicry. Hence I think unconventional power mimicry (together with a big explanation on all this) could be added.

And with that we come to the limits part of the title. Where do we have to draw the limits on this ability?

Since Hatou's possession only works on people that (throughout arbitrarily many branches) are related to her, something like an alien species that never interacted with humanity is beyond her reach (at least, unless Hatou manages to trick one into somehow having children with her). She needs a genetic link. So, for the most part, she can only get abilities that humans can learn or species that can breed with humans can learn.
Second, it's still Hatou on the inside. By possessing someone she could copy their inborn talent and stuff, but it's still her mind on the inside. If Hatou, due to mental limitations, can not learn something despite talent, probability manipulation and infinite training, she can't have it. There actually is an in-universe example of this. A girl named Alice has the mental ability to look a mathematical equation and draw its solution as a picture. (She's might be somewhat of a savant) She can then translate the picture into a solution in common language and by that solve even the most complex problems easily. Since Hatou's mind doesn't comprehend the world the way Alice's mind does she couldn't get that ability.
Third, as it's still Hatou on the inside, if a power requires help from some kind of other entity (e.g. a blessing from a god) then that entity could decide that it doesn't want to cooperate with Hatou even if it did with the original person she possessed.

Aaaand, yeah that are all limits I can think of. If I add this to the page I would of course also mention those limits.

What do you think, everyone?

Last edited:
My plan is to put the abilities in the P&A section with just a note "See Instant Learning" or something.
Then in the Notable A/T section I'm gonna write a paragraph titled "Instant Learning" that basically is exactly what I explained in the OP just reformulated a little to make it sound nicer for a profile (and without the quotes. Those go into the respect blog).

Alright, I applied everything. Since we're done here I will close this then. Thank @ everyone who checked it~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back