• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Technology Manipulation for Pennywise

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
The conversation on this started here.

Basically, Pennywise should have Technology Manipulation, since:

• Far lesser psychics such as Ted Brautigan, Dinky Earnshaw and Randall Flagg are capable of affecting technology with their telepathy, with Brautigan and Earnshaw even managing to affect Old Ones' technology on the first try despite coming from present-day Earth and having never encountered any similar technology prior.
  • Psychics in the DT setting are shown to be capable of many of the same things that lesser psychics can do, such as Flagg being able to manipulate machines, read/control minds, and pretty much do anything else that the likes of Dinky Earnshaw can do. The only exceptions to this rule are very specific powers such as Dinky's precognition, Brautigan's "mind spears" and the "mental lockbox" technique that shows up in Doctor Sleep.
Also, I checked back through the book, and Pennywise does have something of a precedent here, due to a scene in the novel where it messes with some lights and turns on a television without touching either.

The bathroom light suddenly went on; she could see it under the door. Then the latch clicked and the door juddered open. She stared at this, eyes widening, arms instinctively crossing over her breasts again. Her heart began to slam against her ribcage and the sour taste of adrenaline flooded her mouth.

That voice, low and dragging, said: "We all float down here, Audra." The last word became a long, low, fading scream—Audraaaaa—that ended once again in that sick, clogged, bubbly sound that was so much like laughter.

"Who's there?" she cried, backing away. That wasn't my imagination, no way, you're not going to tell me that—

The TV clicked on. She whirled around and saw a clown in a silvery suit with big orange buttons capering around on the screen. There were black sockets where its eyes should have been, and when its made-up lips stretched even wider in a grin, she saw teeth like razors. It held up a dripping, severed head. Its eyes were turned up to the whites and the mouth sagged open, but she could see well enough that it was Freddie Firestone's head. The clown laughed and danced. It swung the head around and drops of blood splashed against the inside of the TV screen. She could hear them sizzling in there.

Audra tried to scream and nothing came out but a little whine. She grabbed blindly for the dress lying over the back of the chair, and for her purse. She bolted into the hall and slammed the door behind her, gasping, her face paper-white. She dropped the purse between her feet and slipped the dress over her head.

"Float," a low, chuckling voice said from behind her, and she felt a cold finger caress her bare heel.
~ IT​
The "clown inside the TV" bit is probably Immersion, or at the very least Pennywise projecting its avatar's image into the screen. But the act of turning on the bathroom lights and television without being in the room would obviously require the ability to manipulate technology to some degree, which falls in line with what I've outlined above.

Discuss.

That is tech manip yeah

Considering the fact that Stephen King has a pretty consistent set of rules and powers for psychic in his mythos, the scaling is solid; nothing I can think of comes to mind which disproves the precedent set forth by other mentalists.

When you combine the scaling with the few instances of his interactions with technology, there's an open-and-shut conclusion that he does in fact possess Technology Manipulation.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
I am pretty sure it is being accepted. I think Wokistan's answers qualified as concluding evaluations and think you could have handled it too if it weren't done, @MrKingOfNegativity.

Editing Rules:

• Before making sweeping or significant changes to characters or verse pages, please start a thread in the Content Revision forum first, so that the suggestions may be evaluated by the Staff and the community at large, to ensure that they are acceptable. The concluding evaluations must be handled by Discussion Moderators, Administrators, or Bureaucrats, who should make an effort to base their evaluations on valid arguments, not personal opinions.

Well, works for me. I can add the thing to Penny's page in a few moments.

I'll be adding Immersion too, since...well, just read the quote again if you need to ask why.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
Well, works for me. I can add the thing to Penny's page in a few moments.
I'll be adding Immersion too, since...well, just read the quote again if you need to ask why.
Ok.

Immersion looks fine too, to me.

Well, Ronald McDonald would have to be skilled with technology to make Happy Meal toys, duh

I can agree with Technological Manipulation.

I'm not too sure on Immersion though, as from what I know, it would actually require the user to enter a fictional world and interact with it.

@DMB 1, I am pretty sure Pennywise qualifies as it can enter things like mirrors, recordings, among others.

In that scene, it also (apparently) killed the book's version of Eddie Firestone (who was a radio and television actor among other things), and was swinging his severed head around like a big, fleshy paintbrush while it was in the TV.

I think that counts as "interacting" with the world that's on the screen.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
In that scene, it also (apparently) killed the book's version of Eddie Firestone (who's a television actor among other things), and was swinging his severed head around like a big, fleshy paintbrush while it was in the TV.
I think that counts as "interacting" with the world that's on the screen.
I agree, as well.

>"It is fine with me.MrKingOfNegativity wrote"

Maybe I should have eased back on the mind control...

MrKingOfNegativity said:
>"It is fine with me.c wrote"
Maybe I should have eased back on the mind control...
Lol, no worry; to me, as long as the characters' changes which can be upgrades or downgrades are accurate it is good to me and I think for the wiki, and everyone.

Since you finished the changes, you are welcome to close the thread, @MrKingOfNegativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back