• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Failing that, 'Likely Low 5-B' is more than reasonable.

That is more reasonable than the earlier proposal.

But upscaling like this is still uncalled for IMO. We're just throwing random numbers onto a result because it boosts characters to higher tiers. It doesn't improve our wiki in terms of accuracy; it just makes us feel good because a character hit a new high score.

That is more reasonable than the earlier proposal.

But upscaling like this is still uncalled for IMO. We're just throwing random numbers onto a result because it boosts characters to higher tiers. It doesn't improve our wiki in terms of accuracy; it just makes us feel good because a character hit a new high score.
Didn't you propose this idea and it got rejected?

Didn't you propose this idea and it got rejected?
There were many proposals for how upscaling could be dealt with. Removing them, using a set multiplier, using them proportionally to each tier or half-tier, etc.

The conclusion, if I recall correctly, was to keep upscaling on a case-by-case basis and not go overboard with it.

There were many proposals for how upscaling could be dealt with. Removing them, using a set multiplier, using them proportionally to each tier or half-tier, etc.

The conclusion, if I recall correctly, was to keep upscaling on a case-by-case basis and not go overboard with it.
I did agree with you on the upscaling thing being a little arbitrary when all tiers really are, are names assigned to joule values not really milestones a character reaches, but I also think upscaling can be good in some cases and getting rid of it completely is not right or that's at least how I see it.

Last edited:
It doesn't improve our wiki in terms of accuracy; it just makes us feel good because a character hit a new high score.
If I can be totally honest, it seems pretty disingenuous to say that people just want it because it’s a higher tier.

I don’t see how it’d be more accurate to say that the character that did this to a character that’s already far stronger than this is still within the small range of 1.3x.

If I can be totally honest, it seems pretty disingenuous to say that people just want it because it’s a higher tier.

I don’t see how it’d be more accurate to say that the character that did this to a character that’s already far stronger than this is still within the small range of 1.3x.
I'm generalizing a bit; but also most people only want to apply this apparent "1.3x multiplier" only when it falls within a arbitrary range of another tier. What is the acceptable range? Some people think 1.1x, or 1.3x. Some people would even go up to 1.5x or 2x.

There is literally no correct answer to this. And people wouldn't be trying to boost Tatsumaki's AP by 1.3x if the gap to the next tier was huge. Which is what makes it arbitrary.

What is the acceptable range? Some people think 1.1x, or 1.3x. Some people would even go up to 1.5x or 2x.
Well in the upscaling thread, a lot of people seemed to agree with 1.33x, but a lot of other people didn’t want to place a specific number.
And people wouldn't be trying to boost Tatsumaki's AP by 1.3x if the gap to the next tier was huge. Which is what makes it arbitrary.
Eh, I wouldn’t exactly call it arbitrary. Because the gap is tiny, and Tatsumaki scales FAR above someone that scales FAR above the calc that’s 1.3x away from baseline. It’s not unreasonable to say that she can upscale to baseline.

I'm generalizing a bit; but also most people only want to apply this apparent "1.3x multiplier" only when it falls within a arbitrary range of another tier. What is the acceptable range? Some people think 1.1x, or 1.3x. Some people would even go up to 1.5x or 2x.

There is literally no correct answer to this. And people wouldn't be trying to boost Tatsumaki's AP by 1.3x if the gap to the next tier was huge. Which is what makes it arbitrary.
It's not arbitrary, it's just the fact that both gaps are huge. It's not 1.3x for Tatsumaki, it's upscaling from someone much stronger than Orochi.

Wanting to not upscale these characters isn't any more accurate (it'd say it's actually way less accurate given how Tatsumaki destroyed her body), and these much more strict upscaling rules were largely unapplied in your old upscaling thread.

It's not arbitrary, it's just the fact that both gaps are huge. It's not 1.3x for Tatsumaki, it's upscaling from someone much stronger than Orochi.

Wanting to not upscale these characters isn't any more accurate (it'd say it's actually way less accurate given how Tatsumaki destroyed her body), and these much more strict upscaling rules were largely unapplied in your old upscaling thread.
I don't want to say that Tatsumaki isn't any stronger.

I just think it would be better to display it on her profile as rating as: "At least X" instead of boosting her up to a solid "Y".

If upscaling from Orochi’s calc is this difficult, that brings up the question of what we do with MB Boros and Saitama. I assume the former would get “Likely Low 5-B” and the latter would just be Low 5-B.

I'd say a likely would be the best option, because he scales above Orochi. Saitama treated the monster king like a child while he called Released Boros strong at least once.

Released Boros is fine as he is. Tatsumaki, someone who easily crushed Psykorochi, someone who’s capable of one-shotting Orochi, only gets a “Likely Low 5-B,” meanwhile Released Boros is just somewhat stronger than Orochi. He shouldn’t be upscaling.

Released Boros is fine as he is. Tatsumaki, someone who easily crushed Psykorochi, someone who’s capable of one-shotting Orochi, only gets a “Likely Low 5-B,” meanwhile Released Boros is just somewhat stronger than Orochi. He shouldn’t be upscaling.
The fact that Tatsumaki has been given a "Likely" despite possibly scaling higher than Released doesn't mean Boros doesn't get it too, specially when he is stronger than Orochi.

The fact that Tatsumaki has been given a "Likely" despite possibly scaling higher than Released doesn't mean Boros doesn't get it too, specially when he is stronger than Orochi.
That’s not even close to the point I was making. Tatsumaki’s scaling above Orochi is far more concrete and has a much larger scaling chain that Released Boros. If, despite all of that, she only gets a possibly, I see no reason why Released Boros, who is just vaguely stronger, would get the same treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back