• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Super Mario Bros. Movie Discussion Thread

Not a fan of Chris Pratt as Mario, would prefer almost anyone to him (Especially Charles since, y'know, he's the voice of Mario). Seeing Rogan as Donkey Kong made me burst into laughter, same with Charlie Day as Luigi.

Jack Black as Bowser is actually cool though, I'm perfectly happy with that. But overall between the announcement of the voice actors and the fact it's Illumation working on the film I don't exactly have high hopes for the film atm.

I’m more excited for the first trailer than the movie right now. I know it will reveal if it’s actually good and that either way I’m going to die laughing.

This is super old but I didn't see any other posts about this, so... who else saw the new teaser?

Probably soon to be thinking about profiles, but Bowser is already looking pretty powerful- breathing fire that is singlehandedly destroying that castle.
Yeah that was an easy tier 8~7 feat

The original Nintendo Direct left me with the feeling that the movie will either be amazing or terrible and that the trailer will tell me which.

While I was certainly playing up my abilities I can say that one thing for sure:

Jack Black’s Bowser is going to be freaking awesome

You know I just realized, Mario's all about his physicality. Jumping & such, especially throwing Bowser by the tail.

How are they gonna make him physically match Bowser while following typical movie logic?

I imagine like, early plot will have Mario (& maybe Luigi.) meet & lose horribly lose to Bowser.

I doubt there'll be a training arc.

So what, is he only going to pull it off with a Power Star? Or will it be like, what, Bowser has one, but Mario only pulls it off with all the Power Stars everyone he helped was somehow hiding when Bowser's forces invaded their lands?

You know I just realized, Mario's all about his physicality. Jumping & such, especially throwing Bowser by the tail.

How are they gonna make him physically match Bowser while following typical movie logic?

I imagine like, early plot will have Mario (& maybe Luigi.) meet & lose horribly lose to Bowser.

So what, is he only going to pull it off with a Power Star? Or will it be like, what, Bowser has one, but Mario only pulls it off with all the Power Stars everyone he helped was somehow hiding when Bowser's forces invaded their lands?
Lmfao hope they just go full smash or N64 ans have him and Bowser have a cool ass fight like the Sonic and Knuckles rematch in the Sonic Movie

You know he DOES have power ups, right? Like, even when he didn't have power ups ( in the 3d games usually ) he was still able to outsmart him and find a way to beat him. And considering this movie seemingly has multiple worlds/kingdoms ( The Mushroom Kingdom, the Ice Kingdom, and Bowser's ) it's probably gonna be a mix of Mario 3 and some other games. Mario 3 having: The Tanuki Suit ( can turn into a statue and smash people's head in LOL ), the Hammer Suit ( bash people with hammers and deflect fire balls, in game you only needed like 7 hammers to kill off bowser, compared to fireballs which took around 30 ), the Frog Suit, which isn't really useful for combat but great for water levels, and the Whistle which summons a Tornado that takes you to other worlds of your choice.

iirc that was just Sonic avoiding his punches a lot and maybe hitting him a couple times, not exactly a fight, just a hit and run
Watch that fight again my guy they had a full exchange of blows followed by some hit and run, dodging, and charge attacks

I am loving the film. I don't mind mario's voice much
Nor do I, it could be better but also think about the fact you have to sit there for over an hour and hear it constantly a voice that isn't always on 100 could maybe sit better but ig we'll never know I suppose but either way it could definitely be much worse

Nor do I, it could be better but also think about the fact you have to sit there for over an hour and hear it constantly a voice that isn't always on 100 could maybe sit better but ig we'll never know I suppose but either way it could definitely be much worse
the french version seems better but people are hyping it up too much

For sure I saw the clip it's definitely good as hell but yeah we're really running with ******** on pratt in america unfortunately

You know he DOES have power ups, right? Like, even when he didn't have power ups ( in the 3d games usually ) he was still able to outsmart him and find a way to beat him. And considering this movie seemingly has multiple worlds/kingdoms ( The Mushroom Kingdom, the Ice Kingdom, and Bowser's ) it's probably gonna be a mix of Mario 3 and some other games. Mario 3 having: The Tanuki Suit ( can turn into a statue and smash people's head in LOL ), the Hammer Suit ( bash people with hammers and deflect fire balls, in game you only needed like 7 hammers to kill off bowser, compared to fireballs which took around 30 ), the Frog Suit, which isn't really useful for combat but great for water levels, and the Whistle which summons a Tornado that takes you to other worlds of your choice.
Yes, Mario has tons of power ups throughout the games in the franchise. I know that.

Although, the trailer, IIRC, also showed Power Stars prominently.

You're making me wonder if I'd be happier if I actually learned French so I could understand this movie with an actor that you may be implying sounds better.

You're making me wonder if I'd be happier if I actually learned French so I could understand this movie with an actor that you may be implying sounds better.

Here's the french Mario
america has too much to do with sh*itting for whatever reason
he sounds better but it isn't like, godly, as some people suggest
Yeah I don't get it and literally this people def blew it out like crazy

Yes, Mario has tons of power ups throughout the games in the franchise. I know that.

I'm assuming Mario is also going to get a Power Star too then? Or him and Luigi just jump bowser with power ups. The latter is better IMO, but we'll see what they do. Either way I have high hopes for this movie, and I hope they have Waluigi or Yoshi in it.

I think I'm most curious to see how they'll display the increase in power from Bowser obtaining a power star because even beforehand dude just casually does a decent tier 8-C~8-B feat so I wonder if we'll get some stuff decently into tier 7 or hell maybe even tier 6

Speaking of Power Stars, I wonder how powerful they’ll be in this movie. Do you guys think they’ll just amp the user of it a tier or so or do you guys think they’ll be like tier 4,3, or even 2 territory?

Also I have a feeling Bowser is going to be a top tier and the only way Mario (as well as Luigi and whoever else tries to stop Bowser) is going to defeat him is through a power star.

Bowser is portrayed as wielding an army, invading kingdoms/lands. Power Stars were shown, but they aren't reaching Tier 2 unless maybe it threatens Mario's home universe.

As for Tier 4 & 3, the only way they're getting those is with some fancy statements about the nature of Power Stars, since I doubt a story about a story about kingdom invasions will go into space opera things. Maybe if the Mario planet is revealed to be supernaturally big, it'll get high into Tier 5, but fancy star statements probably won't get it past Tier 4.

There's also the possibility they just offer raw invincibility like they do as in-game power-ups, & a plot point is about winning when that temporary power boost fails or something.

Back