• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Suggestions for improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
this was brought up by Lord-Of-Creation and i agree with it

should we delete all vs threads that are were not created in our forum

1. most forums do not follow our system

2. i do think we should be more independent from other sites

3. if something were to happen to the site linked then we would end up with alot of broken links (ex. MVC)

now this is not a revision that needs to be done immediately, as it is minor to the things that are more important

I am ambivalent regarding the issue, but we should probably put it to a vote first.

However, it does not seem particularly important, and it would take lots of work considering this fact, so is it really worth it?

no its not as important as most things we have to do on the wiki, if its accepted it can be put off until later notice and changes done gradually over time

Well, I think that the current rule is that threads from other sites are accepted if they are consistent with our tiers. However, maybe we should clarify this in the front page?

Perhaps we could find a team of animators to animate character battles we do in the forums? This is a VS Battles wiki, and I feel that battles here should be more than simply arguing back-and-forth about who would win.

Wishful thinking, perhaps, but I'll throw it out there. Death Battle and One Minute Melee exist, yes, but Screwattack has a rather slow schedule for both (one battle every three weeks for Death Battle, every other week for One Minute Melee). We can do characters that they haven't done (or at least haven't done yet).

I don't think that's a good idea as animation isn't really easy, takes quite some time to do (if ya want it to actually look good) and asking people to do it for free (unless someone actually wants to bring out their wallets to pay them) is a little too much...

I say we simply focus on fixing up all the flaws on our wiki, selecting proper staff and doing whatever needs to be done. We could deal with improving the VS threads system after we've sorted everything out....

Well, it's not a bad idea. However, it's simply impractical now of all times...

Would it? I'm not sure if Wikia has a video hosting service, but if it doesn't, there are other places we can host animations or videos such as Newgrounds and Vimeo which won't automatically attract the obnoxious Youtube community.

Also, do we really need to make videos to showcase animations?

yeah possibly

do you mean as in gifs?

but either way it is still something we have to wait for in the future, as its not a bad idea its just not the right time to start this up

I also think that this would be a very bad idea. Even beyond that the quality would likely be very low, as it is hard to find good animators, especially ones willing to work without pay, it would turn the site far too "screamy"/"epileptic" for my tastes if it was littered with battle animations. I prefer to simply keep it as a calm indexing site that anybody can browse and remain calm. If we give the site a violent mood, it would also attract far more misbehaving types of people.

@Unclechairman: Wikia technically doesn't. And those other sites have a much bigger risk as we don't know who we might attract. There's also the fact that there is a low possibility of actually attracting people on those sites.

Animation is defined as the technique of photographing successive drawings or positions of puppets or models to create an illusion of movement when the film is shown as a sequence.

So yeah videos are needed to showcase animations...

Basically, I would really appreciate if all of the administrators please try to continue keeping the site calm and ordered in the future, and do not implement these type of changes. Thank you.

I agree with Ant. With the recent happenings, improvement suggestions aren't at the top of the priority list. What we really need to focus on is keeping things in order...

Well, polls do not actually have to present any arguments. They are just popularity contests.

Again, they would simply show what character that people who read the discussion like best. Especially if non-registered visitors are allowed to vote. Also, with Kavpeny gone, we don't have the resources for any massive changes.

We could use the polls to determine the featured article of the month. But I'm sure that's a project which will/may be initated after we've sorted everything out and when everything is calm in the wiki...

Yes, that is a good idea in itself, but I am not good with programming the wiki into using such features, and as you say, we should probably wait a few months with any such changes until things have straightened themselves out.

Well the programming for those type of things is easy enough so I can do it. Only thing that needs to be done is to properly stabilize the wiki...

Hope this isn't a necro(i'm sure it's been two weeks), but what about a multi-quote function? That way people can respond to multiple quotes at once without having to double, triple, or even quadruple-post?

Skodwarde The Almighty said:
Hope this isn't a necro(i'm sure it's been two weeks), but what about a multi-quote function? That way people can respond to multiple quotes at once without having to double, triple, or even quadruple-post?
Can we try going for that?

Quoting each other multiple times spams the pages with unnecessary walls of text, and is not allowed in this wiki. Also, we don't have the abilities to change wikia's source coding.

I think we should delete all of the victories and losses for now, and start adding the victories and losses from our forums only.

The reason is that the wins and losses sections are pretty messy, as most other sites don't use our ranking system, so we have weaker characters beating stronger characters in our wins and losses section.

Also it's not very consistent, like we have some characters have a win over another character, but we don't list that as a loss for the other character.

I remember reading about 4 months ago, Dark Schneider had a win over Odin on his page, and Odin had a win over Dark Schneider on Odin's page.

Lord-Of-Creation said:
I think we should delete all of the victories and losses for now, and start adding the victories and losses from our forums only.

The reason is that the wins and losses sections are pretty messy, as most other sites don't use our ranking system, so we have weaker characters beating stronger characters in our wins and losses section.

Also it's not very consistent, like we have some characters have a win over another character, but we don't list that as a loss for the other character.

I remember reading about 4 months ago, Dark Schneider had a win over Odin on his page, and Odin had a win over Dark Schneider on Odin's page.
https://youtu.be/sz-qL1KfC-0

That would be way too much work, as you'd need to go through hundreds of pages to remove all the victories and losses.

Also, if users from other sites used our ranking system, they'd be considered fanboys (Because, for some reason, using VS sites is not approved of, even though we work really hard to keep the profiles in top shape).

The Everlasting said:
That would be way too much work, as you'd need to go through hundreds of pages to remove all the victories and losses.
Also, if users from other sites used our ranking system, they'd be considered fanboys (Because, for some reason, using VS sites is not approved of, even though we work really hard to keep the profiles in top shape).
We can have a moratorium on adding victories and defeats to characters. We delete all of the victories and defeats (or as much as we can), in a couple of months, and then we can add victories and defeats from our site only.

The fact that other sites don't want to use our ranking system is further reason we need to delete the victories and defeats.

Maybe in the future, but the problem remains that it would be an awful lot of work, and we are overtaxed enough as it is. We are also already attempting to sort away inactive threads and results that do not fit with our rankings system.

Uh just another suggestion.

We have standard formats for character, weapon, and power/ability profiles. Should there be a standard format for verse profiles?

Skodwarde The Almighty said:
We have standard formats for character, weapon, and power/ability profiles. Should there be a standard format for verse profiles?
Thats actually a really good idea.

I think that the rules for verse profiles should just state how powerful each franchise is in terms of scale, not compare them with others, as this creates a competitive bad mood.

So should we remove verse power comparisons from other verse profiles?

That would be very helpful and appreciated, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back