• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Star Trek Cosmic Revisions

ByAsura

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator

Portrayal of Higher-Dimensions​

Higher-dimensions are never really portrayed as infinitely superior to lower ones. For example, 2-D beings are shown interacting with normal space without height or width, although they're suggested not to be native to the 3-D universe. Instead, they live in cosmic strings (extremely thin, but nonetheless 3-D, objects with the pull of black holes).
  • LAFORGE: Best idea for now is to try a controlled overload of the warp drive. Jump directly to warp six. The laws of a three-dimensional universe say it should work. Don't know about a two-dimensional universe though.
  • PICARD: Fascinating. So many questions. How can a two-dimensional entity have access to a three-dimensional universe? And are they aware of us? Number One, if we can put off the T'lli Betans, I would like to investigate this further as soon as we're free of the graviton field.

• DATA: The probe's point of view reveals that the objects exist entirely in two dimensions, on a single plane.
  • LAFORGE: They have length and width, but not height. Virtually flat.
  • DATA: That is why the ship's forward sensors did not detect them initially. We were looking at them along their edge. There was no surface to read. I will illustrate.
Even the 26 dimensional statement was provided by Einstein's own theories based on his science and just as quickly debunked.
  • EINSTEIN: G sub I, J of t as t approaches infinity.
  • BARCLAY: G of t over G naught.
  • EINSTEIN: So it is, so it is.
  • BARCLAY: I still don't see how you're going to incorporate quantum principle into general relativity without adjusting the cosmological constant a lot more than you're doing here.
  • EINSTEIN: If we increase the value as you suggest, we must face the possibility of twenty six dimensions, instead of ten.
  • BARCLAY: I don't think I could deal with that.
  • EINSTEIN: I certainly could not.
  • BARCLAY: If the semiset curved into the subatomic, the infinities might cancel each other out.
  • EINSTEIN: Gruss Gott. They just might.
I understand that this is only seen as a possibility by the profiles, but it's presented as objectively wrong by the episode. However, 18 dimensions actually do exist due to Chaotic Space.

Furthermore, the realms that these entities live in are never described as higher-dimensional, just new or different planes of existence. Speaking of which, the description of "new" is used in John Doe's case, not "higher", although I'd argue that's what the writers intend. Kevin Uxbridge is also never referred to as nigh-omnipotent/omnipotent or hailing from a higher dimension.
  • JOHN: My people are about to embark upon a new realm, a new plane of existence, thanks to you.

• KEVIN: Very well. For what it's worth. I am a Douwd. An immortal being of disguises and false surroundings. I have lived in this galaxy for many thousands of years although until today, no one has known my true identity. Once, while traveling in human form, I chanced to fall in love with an Earth woman. I put aside my powers and became her husband. Our life was happy and rich. Eventually we came to this planet to live our final years. Now she is dead. She never knew what I really was.

Subspace​

The quotes on the profile are both heavily out of context, as Geordi LaForge isn't referring to higher dimensions. For context, the characters have been invaded by an extra-dimensional alien species from what's explicitly referred to as a Solanogen-based universe.
  • LAFORGE: Good question. The emissions are coming from a tertiary subspace domain, but subspace has an infinite number of domains. It's like a huge honeycomb with an endless number of cells. We need to isolate the exact cell that these emissions are coming from.
  • PICARD: If someone homed onto the subspace signals created by our modified signal array, could we do the same to them? Track the tetryon emissions to their universe?
  • LAFORGE: We think that's why they couldn't come through into our space, as easily as they could take us into theirs. They needed to learn how to remodulate their cellular energy states in order to survive in our universe.
As for its actual scale, subspace contains all dimensions and a discrete network that extends throughout the multiverse. Poisoning would even kill everything in creation.
  • STAMETS: So we need the spore drive to save Captain Lorca, but the spore drive is killing the Tardigrade. All right, let's start with our mushroom, prototaxites stellaviatori, a species made up of exotic material found not only in normal space, but in a discreet subspace domain known as the mycelial network. Its fungal roots, a.k.a. mycelium, spread across the universe, fanning out into infinity to create a matrix that serves as our intergalactic freeway system.

• LORCA: We suspected the mycelial network extended way beyond anything we'd imagined.
  • BURNHAM: A vast system underpinning all quantum realities.

• STAMETS: Airiam flagged it. A massive energy signature coming off the central orb.
    ARIAM: It's mycelial.
    STAMETS: This is what my counterpart has been using his mycelium for. It powers their ship.
    SARU: As it does ours.
    TILLY: Not exactly. We ride along the network with the spores. That orb is pulling power directly out of the network.
    SARU: But I thought the network could regenerate itself.
    STAMETS: Typically it does, but this process is poisoning it, spreading infection back up into the system.
    TILLY: Without a fresh supply of spores, it'll only get worse.
    SARU: The Terrans must be aware of this flaw. It's not sustainable.
    STAMETS: I don't think sustainability is their main objective, but it does provide them with far more energy than I ever thought possible. Enough to run their city-sized ship and power weapons that can destroy a planet.
    AIRIAM: As they did on Harlak.
    SARU: How can a people be so shortsighted?
    STAMETS: Well, the Terrans are egotistical enough to believe that they can replenish this resource before it collapses. The other Stamets must have been looking for a solution when he got trapped in the network with me. If we don't stop them soon, the contamination will be irreversible. The network will continue to deteriorate everywhere. Here, in this universe, back in ours, across the entire multiverse.
    SARU: And when it does?
    STAMETS: Life as we know it will cease to exist.

Fifth Dimension/Exosia​

The origin of this claim comes from The Bride of Chaotica!, where Voyager encounters a subspace layer that is inhabited by light-based entities. The problem with this is that only the Holographic characters who are programmed with the personalities of 50s to 60s era sci-fi schlock characters refer to it as the Fifth Dimension, to the confusion of the characters who run the starship.
  • CHAOTICA: The Fifth Dimension. Bring them to me.
  • CHAOTICA: Take Miss Goodheart to Arachnia. Invite the Queen to join me in battle. Together, we will rain destruction on the Fifth Dimension!
  • PARIS: A Fifth Dimension? There's not supposed to be alien invaders in this story. That's in Captain Proton versus the Cosmic Creature.
This trait is even carried over to the episode Shattered.
  • CHAOTICA: Eighth? Everyone knows there are only five dimensions.
Using the term 'fifth dimension' was very common for contemporary sci-fi, such as The Twilight Zone.
  • There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call "The Twilight Zone".
The fact that this light-based subspace layer and Exosia are brought up suggests that neither are infinitely superior to the normal universe, just outside of it. Furthermore, Kes was able to harm an already ascended Ocampa even before ascending herself.

Also, they actually couldn't detect this photon-based subspace layer, and the inhabitants of the supspace layer mutually couldn't detect them. But, holograms were able to interact with them due to being made of light.

Chaotic Space​

Chaotic space is not 18th dimensional. It intersects with the universe at the 18th dimensional gradient, which would technically make both 18th dimensional if this logic was accurate.
  • CHAKOTAY: Chaotic space intersects ours at the eighteenth dimensional gradient. Voyager entered through a trimetric fracture.
Even if it was higher-dimensional, it's not portrayed like many fictional higher-dimensions. For example, gravity, space and other 3/4-D concepts exist, although they're in flux.
  • KIM: Some kind of spatial sinkhole just opened up beneath us.
  • KIM: I'm picking up a lot of raw data. Subspace flux, graviton waves. Sensors must be confused. The readings are shifting around so much I can't make heads or tails of what's out there.

• TUVOK: If the physical constants are shifting, our sensors can't function.
  • SEVEN: The problem is here. Changes in the gravitational coefficient will cause sudden shear forces against our hull. Shields will protect us, but only for a time.

Entities​

The Traveller​

A higher-dimensional being from another plane of existence, whose nature surpasses the human concept of four-dimensional time

It's never stated that humans can't comprehend his origin. I will get into this later.

Capable of creating and collapsing parallel universes with their own space and time to some degree.

That is not as impressive as the profile tries to portray it as. The "parallel universe" was just an artificial subspace bubble that existed outside normal space-time. Also, The Traveller could hardly accomplish this feat on his own.
  • TRAVELLER: Your species have very narrow perceptions of time and space and thought. When Beverly Crusher was caught in the static warp bubble, she created her own reality. Her thoughts at the precise moment she was trapped determined its shape and form.
  • TROI: Can you go in and get her back?
  • TRAVELLER: No, it is her reality. I cannot enter it any more than I can enter her thoughts.
  • WESLEY: But you said there's still a way.
  • TRAVELLER: I can help, but I can't do it myself. Wesley, there is a power within each of us that most people haven't begun to realise, but you have begun, or else I would not have known to come here now. Together we may be able to open a gateway for her. But she must choose to walk through it.
Able to phase in and out of reality, space and time, and move through dimensions freely.

This isn't really a feat of power. Plus, the only dimensions we know they travel between is the normal universe and their own.

His presence could not be detected by the likes of Deanna Troi, an empath who could sense even abstract beings' emotions and thoughts.

Not really that impressive. Beings of a certain nature, such as the android Data and four-lobed Ferengi (albeit to varying degrees), can elude even the most powerful Betazoids.

While the Traveler did not show the same mastery over subspace and space-time as them, they should nevertheless be somewhat comparable to the Q, who were described as being impressed by individuals being selected by Travelers to explore the multiverse.

The Traveler didn't select anyone specifically until Wesely, whom the Continuum and its individuals have expressed little to no interest in outside their capacities as crew members. He basically chose a bunch of Federation starships to travel under the guise of an assistant to amplify their warp bubbles just so he could travel.
  • TRAVELLER: What wonderful arrogance. There is no record because we have not visited you before.
  • RIKER: Why not?
  • TRAVELLER: Well, up until now, if you'll forgive this, you've been uninteresting. It's only now that your life form merits serious attention. I'm sorry.
Plus, the claim that showing interest in a "select few" people means the Traveler(s) is comparable to the Q Continuum requires massive leaps in logic.

I don't think I need to go too far into the rest, it's basically just the same leaps that require very similar assumptions. Namely, manipulating subspace fields isn't that impressive, as even the Enterprise-D can perform similar feats.

Edo God​

The Edo God was defined as a higher-dimensional being/s that existed above our world and while not transcending the space-time continuum (multiverse), they existed in multiple places in it at once. While there is a strong implication that their multi-dimensionality exactly refers to multiple higher dimensions, it is unknown if this statement refers to them existing in multiple universes or higher dimensions, or perhaps both, as is likely.

There isn't any implication that this refers to higher-dimensions. Although I'll admit that this is one of the only instances where the term 'dimension' is even brought up.
  • DATA: Any sufficiently advanced life form would appear to others to be that, sir. But when they were probing my thoughts, Captain, I could feel that whatever they are now, they once existed in this dimension, just as we do. Perhaps in the same kind of flesh and blood form. Since then, however, they have evolved considerably. Their present existence in multi-dimensions no doubt has advantages we do not understand.
  • DATA: Exactly. As if it were neither in or out of our dimension.
  • DATA: It is perhaps not what we would understand as a vessel, sir. The dimensions this one occupies allows them to be, well, to be in several places at once. But they consider this entire star cluster to be theirs. It was probably unwise of us to attempt to place a human colony in this area. Of course, there are three thousand four other planets in this star cluster in which we could have colonised. The largest and closest
As for what tier the Edo God really should be, I have no idea, but it's doubtlessly way higher than the Enterprise-D.

V'ger​

Machine​

The being was capable of emitting energy pulses beyond the scope of power of "thousands of starships".

Its natural size, including the cloud which surrounds it, would be enough to engulf Earth's solar system.

That first statement is actually referring to the entire cloud, which kind of makes the second part a little suspect.
  • KIRK: Navigator, lay in a conic section flight path into the Cloud center. Bring us parallel to whatever we find in there... Mister Sulu, tactical plot on viewer.
  • SULU: Tactical on viewer.
  • DECKER: That measures twelfth power energy? Thousands of starships couldn't generate that much.
Also, the source in that second portion shows that the cloud size was reduced to 2 AU for newer editions. These newer editions should take precedence, like we do with the Death Star profile.

Effortlessly capable of annihilating any ship or planet it encounters, and considers all biological lifeforms as "infestations" which it must destroy.

The second part of that statement is totally irrelevant. The first part, on the other hand, is actually a lot more impressive. Not only could it vaporize K't'inga-class Starships (basically a more powerful variant than the TOG Birds of Prey), it reduced the refitted Enterprise's shields to 30% with a single plasma blast that was hundreds of times less powerful than its maximum output.
  • SCOTT: We cannot hold full power on forcefields. Deflector power is down seventy percent!

• McCOY: They're the same things that hit us.
  • SPOCK: They are hundreds of times more powerful, Captain. From those positions they could devastate the entire surface of the planet.
Here's my suggestion for a new rating
  • Attack Potency: At least Moon level (The power generated by its cloud, which measures two AU in diameter, exceeds the output of thousands of starships. Spock described it as the most powerful force he's ever encountered, which includes a litany of corporeal and non-corporeal entities that far surpass the Enterprise. Reduced the refit Enterprise's shields by 70% with a single blast; later fired blasts hundreds of times more powerful that were going to devastate the Earth's surface), likely far higher (V'ger's imaging systems contained moons, stars and whole galaxies, although it's indeterminable if they were outright destroyed or simply replications in its memory banks)
Should it be much higher than this? Most definitely; if V'ger has truly accumulated so much information and become next to omnipotent (within the confines of the normal Star Trek universe), it should be more powerful than something like the Borg or really any force. But, at the same time, neither the Borg nor Transwarp existed in 1979 when this movie was released.

Fusion​

The Low 2-C part doesn't exactly seem wrong, but all Decker says is that he'll experience other dimensions, not greater. The "higher levels of being" part is outright referring to qualities that only the human experience can provide, or something like that, hence why it can't be proven with logic.
  • SPOCK: Perhaps not. Captain, V'Ger must evolve. Its knowledge has reached the limits of this universe and it must evolve. What it requires of its God, Doctor is the answer to its question, 'Is there nothing more?
  • McCOY: What more is there than the universe, Spock?
  • DECKER: Other dimensions, higher levels of beings.
  • SPOCK: The existence of which cannot be proved logically, therefore V'Ger is incapable of believing in them.
  • KIRK: What V'Ger needs in order to evolve is a human quality. Our capacity to leap beyond logic.

Prophets​

At least Low Complex Multiverse level (Within the Wormhole, the Prophets of Bajor are considered all powerful. They have full control of the extra-dimensional realm the Wormhole gives access to via subspace through it, and transcend space and time, having no knowledge of causality or events occurring, as time is a lower-dimensional concept they feel they are above. With time, they come to understand Sisko's explanations of causality, but they are most effective when in their own realm. Furthermore, even if the Wormhole were to be destroyed, their higher-dimensional realm would not be)

All of this is actually fine to an extent. The only real problem is that none of this would be above Low 2-C.

While they are weakened outside of their home domains, they should still be far more powerful than the Pah-Wraiths, who were stated to be capable, if released, of "burning the universe in their wake", with none able to stop them

Multiple problems with this, namely that we don't have a timeframe. Another is that there's no source on the Pah-Wraiths being inferior, granted I can't remember all of what happens in DS9 (though I've seen every episode). I'd say it's definitely true on a collective level, since the Prophets somehow banished them, but not individually; two of them even fought on par with each other in The Reckoning.

Q​

Not going through what I went over before, just the new stuff.

Vastly superior to the Travelers

Never stated in canon, as likely as it is.

Furthermore, the Q have been stated to encompass the "limitless dimensions of the galaxy"

This is the full quote for clarification.
  • Q: After Farpoint, I returned to where we exist. The Q Continuum.
  • RIKER: Which means exactly what?
  • Q: The limitless dimensions of the galaxy in which we exist.
While I think this is somewhat solid, it doesn't really have to refer to spatio-temporal dimensions. Dimension can mean any number of things, especially depth and vastness. So the quote itself could mean that the Continuum is limitless in scope.

The Continuum​

This is the last profile I'll be going over.

consists of thousands or possibly even hundreds of thousands of Q working in tandem, multiplying their collective power by an incalculable amount

Neither their numbers nor the Q's collective multiplication are stated in canon.

Q-Weapons are weapons made by other Q, which rupture the fabric of space-time itself. It is stated these weapons can kill the Q, but this was never demonstrated, and Quinn, a rogue Q, could not kill himself until his powers were removed. This would suggest these weapons have some degree of Power Nullification, immortality nullification, and regen nullification.

It's entirely possible that Q-weapons were developed during the Civil War.
  • JANEWAY: Be still. I never thought a Q could be injured.
  • Q: As I said, this is only a perception of what is happening. I can assure you, those are not mere cannonballs and lead charges being fired at us.
  • JANEWAY: So they're some sort of Q weapons?
  • Q: You'd be surprised what innovative munitions can be created by one immortal being who's set his mind on killing another.

Last edited:
This seems fine to apply to me. Thank you for helping out with making the wiki more reliable.

The tier of Q appears to be at least low 2-C likey higher, higher with Q-weapons

The burning of the Q continuum's domain can be seen as a Low 1-C feat, but it is a feat caused by Q-weapons, not by Q's own forces (Q-weapons can easily kill Q, but without these weapons, Q cannot even self-harm)

Q can somewhat withstand said weapons. They're not transcendentally above the Q themselves.

To a human, they're equivocal to the gap between a human and a gun.

Q can somewhat withstand said weapons. They're not transcendentally above the Q themselves.

To a human, they're equivocal to the gap between a human and a gun.
Wasn't there a Q-cannon as well as a Q-gun?
They can only burn their domain by using numerous Q-cannons and Q-guns.
I think that the Q continuum is definitely Low 1-C, but the single Q is a little ambiguous about 1 tier.

So should these revisions be applied now then?

Q should be potentially downgraded according to Season 2 of Star Trek Picard. As he no longer counts as being 1-B, and the same applies to the Continuum as well.

According to Q's own words (and Guinan's confirmation) Q is dying, and in the process is losing his powers. He is not capable of stopping the end of his life. This new development means the Q Continuum are not truly immortal as we seem to think and thus cannot be claimed to be 1-C or even 1-B tier anymore.

Since that is the case, we should probably rethink what tier they should belong under and remove the Q-Prophet from the highest rank as it no longer fits the definition due to this change to the overall star trek universe. That means that only the Traveller and Nagilum belong under the highest tier for the franchise.

I don't see why the ability to die changes anything really (especially since their aging process would be relative to a completely different version of space-time), but Q isn't going to be 1-B at all anymore, and I've debunked the Nagilum and Traveller ratings in the OP.

But I should look into the Q-Prophet stuff, because there was some stuff in that comic.

I mean in terms of AP.

I'm wondering if it'd be simply Universe level+, or Low Complex Multiverse level.

Q should be potentially downgraded according to Season 2 of Star Trek Picard. As he no longer counts as being 1-B, and the same applies to the Continuum as well.

According to Q's own words (and Guinan's confirmation) Q is dying, and in the process is losing his powers. He is not capable of stopping the end of his life. This new development means the Q Continuum are not truly immortal as we seem to think and thus cannot be claimed to be 1-C or even 1-B tier anymore.

Since that is the case, we should probably rethink what tier they should belong under and remove the Q-Prophet from the highest rank as it no longer fits the definition due to this change to the overall star trek universe. That means that only the Traveller and Nagilum belong under the highest tier for the franchise.
Why would a character get downgraded based on him being mortal?

Okay, not 4-D space then. Understood. Then I have no problems with supporting your interpretation.

WoG notes that 3-D Space is flat to the Q and Time doesn't need to be linked to a dimensional segment. I'm seeing that as more Tier 2 than Tier 1.
I would've just assumed that time is 4-D in this scenario, since he's talking about linear time as experienced by humans. But fair enough. I'm not all that familiar with dimensional tiering.

I would've just assumed that time is 4-D in this scenario, since he's talking about linear time as experienced by humans.
Time afaik isn't a dimension. You can have an infinite dimensional space with an infinite amount of different temporal dimensions or just a singular temporal dimension for all layers.

I know time itself isn't a dimension, but I thought the linear progression as experienced by humans was. My mistake, then.

So should tier Low 2-C be applied here then?

Back