• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Spy X Family Fionna Calc

I left a comment on the newer one since there's something that needs to be changed that'll cut the result in half, but Null hasn't responded yet.
For the record, I'm in favour of the clearer panel.

I left a comment on the newer one since there's something that needs to be changed that'll cut the result in half, but Null hasn't responded yet.
For the record, I'm in favour of the clearer panel.
I think he maybe didn't noticed the comment, as the wiki usually don't notify others of new comments if they aren't directly mentioned, could you ping him to see this please?

Since Null didn't answer I made a new blog with the result halved like you said.
Wow, I might be stupid. I missed the part of the blog that detailed the centripetal formula in use, which would mean the result doesn't need to be halved.

However, in looking over it again, I've noticed something else - Null used the arc length in place of the radius of the arc.
That shouldn't be done, instead just use the length of Fiona's arm (59.0758587cm or 0.590758587m) as the radius in the F = (mv^2)/r formula.

Wow, I might be stupid. I missed the part of the blog that detailed the centripetal formula in use, which would mean the result doesn't need to be halved.

However, in looking over it again, I've noticed something else - Null used the arc length in place of the radius of the arc.
That shouldn't be done, instead just use the length of Fiona's arm (59.0758587cm or 0.590758587m) as the radius in the F = (mv^2)/r formula.
The entire arm length (/0,590758587) as the radius or half the arm length (/0.2953792935)?

Is there any reason to assume Fiona would be swinging heavy rocks at the same speed a human would swing a tennis racket weighing 100x less ? Because I feel like being superhuman isn't really a justification...

Is there any reason to assume Fiona would be swinging heavy rocks at the same speed a human would swing a tennis racket weighing 100x less ? Because I feel like being superhuman isn't really a justification...
As mentioned in the original calc, it was decided in a thread to use that speed and various staff gave their approval, but basically in short it was because Fiona canonically can swing to the speed of sound normally and because at the moment of the feat she was depicted as swinging the boulder fast instead of slowly, hence why was considered as fine to use the average swing speed of tennis players as reference.

As mentioned in the original calc, it was decided in a thread to use that speed and various staff gave their approval, but basically in short it was because Fiona canonically can swing to the speed of sound normally and because at the moment of the feat she was depicted as swinging the boulder fast instead of slowly, hence why was considered as fine to use the average swing speed of tennis players as reference.
Fiona scales to the speed of sound swinging with a normal racket, assuming the racket Fiona used weighs the same as an average racket (0.3 Kg), Fiona swinging a 333 kg boulder at 35 m/s would make no sense considering she’d have to be massively superior to Yor to actually swing that fast. The racket has to weigh at least 30 kgs for us to assume that he's swinging the boulder at FTE speeds.

The feat is unquantifiable unless you got the anime to calc the speed imo.

Fiona scales to the speed of sound swinging with a normal racket, assuming the racket Fiona used weighs the same as an average racket (0.3 Kg), Fiona swinging a 333 kg boulder at 35 m/s would make no sense considering she’d have to be massively superior to Yor to actually swing that fast. The racket has to weigh at least 30 kgs for us to assume that he's swinging the boulder at FTE speeds.

In the same panel where she swing the boulder you can see how there is an afterimage, whicj indicates that it was indeed fast the swing, so using normal tennis swing speed as reference was accepted to be a reasonable speed to use. Staff, including admins and calc members, were fine with that and accepted it, so it will continue to be used until they deem it as not valid.

Anime actually supports the speed used

Honestly instead of doing that using the real anime timeframes and actually accounting for acceleration gets you much better results than this current lowball

Got all the work here though its kinda rough

Last edited:
Honestly instead of doing that using the real anime timeframes and actually accounting for acceleration gets you much better results than this current lowball

Got all the work here though its kinda rough
Could try doing it tomorrow at night after work, though if someone get the speed and acceleration before that would be helpful.

The link doesn't work for me btw, gives me error 404.

In the same panel where she swing the boulder you can see how there is an afterimage, whicj indicates that it was indeed fast the swing, so using normal tennis swing speed as reference was accepted to be a reasonable speed to use. Staff, including admins and calc members, were fine with that and accepted it, so it will continue to be used until they deem it as not valid.
Since when did we start taking the "after images" in manga seriously? They're literally used to show movement, jumping to the assumption that its from speed is unsubstantiated.

Since when did we start taking the "after images" in manga seriously? They're literally used to show movement, jumping to the assumption that its from speed is unsubstantiated.
They're almost always used to convey either martial arts, or notably quick movement. Vast majority of the time, simple movement is either not conveyed at all, done via motion blur, or speed lines, or arcs.

Example 1

Motion blur to depict movement upward, arcs to convey flipping motion

An arc to convey movement

A case of afterimages.

Afterimages in manga, especially action scenes, are usually done to convey movement, yes, but high-speed movement to be exact. You're only half right, yes they're used to convey movement, but given most context, speed is definitely a factor.

Given the scene in question has both an arc and motion blur on the boulder, that already conveys motion. An afterimage only accentuates that. Of course without context it might not mean much, but the character in question is performing a highspeed jerk movement that would logically only take a fraction of a second, and training, specifically, to gain the speed to hit a ball that exceeded sound.
The afterimage atop everything else is evidently meant to convey a high-speed jerk action as a superhuman trains to be exceptionally more superhuman.

Having checked the anime, the quickest arc she does is 2 frames (literally just to show the inbetween frame), which, yeah ok, it's close enough to normal swing speed where i'd say the manga can probably get away with it, the intent do seem to be there.

They're almost always used to convey either martial arts, or notably quick movement. Vast majority of the time, simple movement is either not conveyed at all, done via motion blur, or speed lines, or arcs.

Example 1

Motion blur to depict movement upward, arcs to convey flipping motion

An arc to convey movement

A case of afterimages.

Afterimages in manga, especially action scenes, are usually done to convey movement, yes, but high-speed movement to be exact. You're only half right, yes they're used to convey movement, but given most context, speed is definitely a factor.

Given the scene in question has both an arc and motion blur on the boulder, that already conveys motion. An afterimage only accentuates that. Of course without context it might not mean much, but the character in question is performing a highspeed jerk movement that would logically only take a fraction of a second, and training, specifically, to gain the speed to hit a ball that exceeded sound.
The afterimage atop everything else is evidently meant to convey a high-speed jerk action as a superhuman trains to be exceptionally more superhuman.

You're using a completely different manga with a completely different style to justify this manga. The styles are different, so are the motion lines and "after images" we see.

Also, do you guys mind showing the anime version please?

You're using a completely different manga with a completely different style to justify this manga. The styles are different, so are the motion lines and "after images" we see.
So?
Is what you said, you did not say SxF, you said manga, as a whole, so I grabbed some examples, from a manga, proving you're inherently wrong. I can grab other examples from different manga. Anything from mecha, romcom, fantasy, etc, take your pick.

SxF is no different, don't backpedal now.
Also, do you guys mind showing the anime version please?

It ain't exactly slow.

Is what you said, you did not say SxF, you said manga, as a whole, so I grabbed some examples, from a manga, proving you're inherently wrong. I can grab other examples from different manga. Anything from mecha, romcom, fantasy, etc, take your pick.

SxF is no different, don't backpedal now.
I don’t need examples from different mangas with different styles, stop trying to substantiate the claim that it’s speed based by using mangas from completely different authors. It just doesn't make sense.

It's a whole different manga with a different style dude, wdym by backpedalling?
It ain't exactly slow.
It's better to use this version imo as the distance she moves and the timeframe is there.

You do realize this boost the results by an order of magnitude💀💀

What's here already in the OPs was a significant lowball, I couldn't post my math cause imgur being silly atm but like it ain't close
You'e acting like I came here to downgrade the results rather than correcting the calc. This is a verse I don't even follow enough to love or hate lmao :ROFLMAO:

I don’t need examples from different mangas with different styles, stop trying to substantiate the claim that it’s speed based by using mangas from completely different authors. It just doesn't make sense.
Oh? But you asked, and I quote "Since when did we start taking the "after images" in manga seriously? They're literally used to show movement, jumping to the assumption that its from speed is unsubstantiated"

You asked when we started using afterimages in manga to be a byproduct of speed, I gave examples of how afterimages can be are often are used for high-speed movement, the answer btw, is since forever as long as context dictates it's meant to be quick.

Being from a diff author doesn't quite matter, you asked, in general, I answered, in general.

But as said, SxF is no different, given you completely glossed over
"Afterimages in manga, especially action scenes, are usually done to convey movement, yes, but high-speed movement to be exact. You're only half right, yes they're used to convey movement, but given most context, speed is definitely a factor.

The afterimage atop everything else is evidently meant to convey a high-speed jerk action as a superhuman trains to be exceptionally more superhuman."

The scene in question is contextually meant to be a quick jerk movement. SxF is no stranger to simply using motion blur or lines to dictate movement either like in the very panel being talked about, your argument doesn't hold up.
It's a whole different manga with a different style dude, wdym by backpedalling?
And yes, backpedaling, you asked, you were proven wrong, you're trying to change what you actually asked. Backpedaling.
It's better to use this version imo as the distance she moves and the timeframe is there.
SxF is a manga first and foremost, the anime at best would only be useful for timeframe and it gets almost the exact same speed as the speed you're complaining about anyway

Last edited:
You'e acting like I came here to downgrade the results rather than correcting the calc. This is a verse I don't even follow enough to love or hate lmao :ROFLMAO:
Then why are you arguing out of ignorance?

And correct the calc? Your correction is arguing if superspeed character training to hit superspeed balls, speed, is slower than the average human swing speed despite multiple evidence dictating it's quick. That isn't "correcting" a calc, it's arguing a blatant given because you don't have enough context on the verse you just admitted you don't follow.
That isn't calc-related, it's context-related, which you lack.

I honestly do not get why you are also against Fiona swinging that rock at 37 m/s when in the same chapter she quite literally swung her racket and intercepted a faster than sound ball attack, and the chapter prior she faces off against a guy that can bust out a Sonic Serve, plus She is like faster and stronger than regular humans anyway so using the 37 m/s speed should be fine.

And correct the calc? Your correction is arguing if superspeed character training to hit superspeed balls, speed, is slower than the average human swing speed despite multiple evidence dictating it's quick.
It's normal for her swing here to be slightly slower than average racket swings as she's literally swinging a whole boulder, which weighs much more than a normal tennis racket. Also, bringing out the fact that she is a character with "superspeed" is weird as nothing in this scene dictates that she's going fast (she's literally training to face Yor again as far as I know,).

The motion lines are barley noticable, coupled with the fact that there aren't any after images in the anime would prove that the after images were just there to show motion, so yeah, trying to substantiate that thows after images are FTE is just wrong.
That isn't "correcting" a calc, it's arguing a blatant given because you don't have enough context on the verse you just admitted you don't follow.
I don't need to have context about the entire verse to argue about a calc of that verse being wrong or right?
I honestly do not get why you are also against Fiona swinging that rock at 37 m/s when in the same chapter she quite literally swung her racket and intercepted a faster than sound ball attack, and the chapter prior she faces off against a guy that can bust out a Sonic Serve, plus She is like faster and stronger than regular humans anyway so using the 37 m/s speed should be fine.
I already stated why I'm aganist that above. You could've just read my replies prior...

It's normal for her swing here to be slightly slower than average racket swings as she's literally swinging a whole boulder, which weighs much more than a normal tennis racket.
Until you take into account motion blur, speed lines, afterimage, and so on.
Also, bringing out the fact that she is a character with "superspeed" is weird as nothing in this scene dictates that she's going fast (she's literally training to face Yor again as far as I know,).
Yeah, note, Yor hard confirmed, stated, and shown, to pitch balls that make sonic booms and exceed sound. Yor's pitches being fast af is why she's training.
The motion lines are barley noticable,
No they aren't? That sounds like a personal issue given the boulder is checkered with them. This is a total non-argument, the fact they exist is enough, the fact that actually are quite noticeable is even more.
coupled with the fact that there aren't any after images in the anime
Irrelevant. In the manga, it's evidently meant to convey high-speed motion. The anime opting not to because it can instead just animate the highspeed action instead, makes sense.

You asked if we use afterimages in manga to implicate speed, we do. The anime supports said speed anyway regardless of how it was drawn there.

would prove that the after images were just there to show motion, so yeah, trying to substantiate that thows after images are FTE is just wrong.
Hmm? Literally nobody said it was FTE, nice try. The argument was it was meant to convey a high-speed jerk motion, which it quite literally, inarguably, does.
I don't need to have context about the entire verse to argue about a calc of that verse being wrong or right?
You do when it isn't the math or science that's wrong, but rather an assumption based on the verse's and scene's context. Which is exactly what you're arguing about, you aren't going "oh this formula is wrong" or "oh you typo'd", you're going "hmm average human speed is too much lol", the only way you can logically conclude that is if you know the context and narrative in question in which does it make sense in said context? You already admitted you don't, so there's no real debate to be had, you're arguing out of ignorance.
already stated why I'm aganist that above. You could've just read my replies prior...
And nobody agrees, average human speed is a lowend not the unfounded high end like you're arguing, context implicates it's quick, the manga panel and art makes it evident it's a quick jerk motion due to afterimage/motion blur/speed lines (like literally all at once), anime corroborates that proving the obvious assumption was in fact obvious.
This ultimately leads us to the fact you've essentially just been wasting the SxF goons' time, the assumption was fair and made sense.

Well you got the context now, with the Anime scene.
This is a verse I don't even follow enough to love or hate lmao
Why are you still here then? You got the context, you know the calc is viable now with the animation. Your concerns have been handled and you can leave now.

Back