• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Spoiler Thread: My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising

Or they could have just not referenced the PLF because it's a HUGE plot point for season 5. Was it stated to not exist yet? Or implied?

Shigaraki was fighting Gigantomachia pretty much nonstop during that time.

And I would say it is implied not to exist since Hawks appears several times in the film yet he only ever mentions the League of Villains who are shown to still be living a dump.

I just read the manga, and Ujiko actually tells Shigaraki he has a task for him to complete before he does his experiment on him. This is after the PLF is formed, and Shiggy has his red coat. Could Nine be the task he's referring to?

2AEEC5AE-B45D-4F47-97A5-BC746471ED9A

If it is confirmed as being that later in the manga then that would support the movie being canon.

I also feel that only the "league of villains" being referred to as such is also to hide the PLF from anime onlies. There's no way they'd spoil such a ridiculously important plot point in a movie, everything they've shown is just costume changes and like 3 super moves.

Also, was Hawks revealed as a spy? Did he internally say he's "in" with the league? If not, then he would be calling them the LoV because he hasn't revealed the PLF to the heroes yet.

Ok then two heroes isn't cannon then if this one isn't

It literally takes place ahead of where the anime is and the flowers is also another hint to it being connected to cannon as everything shown on that panel shows future events because we know because they happen latter down the line I the manga so safe to say it's Cannon

I mean, if the only thing that's shaky about this movies canonicity is the LoV, who barely even show up and aren't even important for the majority of the film, I think it's safe to say that the other factors that coincide with canon should override those doubts. Especially since there are actual explanations that can be given for the LoV's timeline.

@Sora; it's a type of loose secondary canon. The events of the film have never been brought up or referenced in the manga (especially something as important as All Might and Deku fighting alongside each other).

Likewise the events of the most recent film are a little too grand to just be glossed over; Nine steals multiple heroes' Quirks and destroys an entire city, plus the entirety of Class 1-A is beaten up and has a major fight by themselves against a team of villains, yet this is never brought up in the series itself.

These types of things should be treated the same as anime filler; non-canon until brought up in the manga itself and confirmed canon.

I have a simple answer to this:

The movies were made after Horikoshi had already written the story, so he didn't feel the need to write in a mention of them in the manga. I mean, why would he just randomly bring up the Two Heroes movie during any arcs that proceed it? Especially since he had already written those arcs in advance? He already has a big hint to the Heroes Rising movie by deigning to draw Nine in a panel before the movie came out, as well as the other manga chapters he wrote for him.

Why do the movies need to be referenced directly in the manga to be taken as canon? Why are statements from the author, supervising from the author, extra material created by the author, and even a reference from the author not enough? What is so special about some random character saying "yo remember Nine" that makes all the other instances irrelevant?

And yes, Nine was in the manga. So even saying "they weren't shown in the manga" is false. Nine is absolutely canon, a slight issue with the LoV's current state is no where near enough to say he isn't and to just ignore that drawing of him.

I guess an issue you can bring up is that the extra chapters were written by one of Horikoshi's assistants and not him, but would that even affect their canonicity? Pretty sure assistants, being likely supervised by the main author, should have their work be taken just as canon as the main manga unless there are serious issues.

Heck the person who wrote those chapters has been wth Horikoshi since chapter 1, they're almost as much the author as he is.

Nullflowerblush said:
Wasn't Nine in the manga?
He had a cameo panel.

@Kingofwolves; if they're written by his assistants then I would definitely consider them non-canon.

But why? The assistant that wrote them has been with Horikoshi since the series began. What makes them less credible than him?

It appears to be canon since the author was deciding stuff to coincide with the manga and the timeline. I think the lack of reference happened because the movies were probably rushed before he could actually do anything in the manga to properly link them since he was focusing on his own arcs.

Heck, isn't all of this just tertiary canon anyway? Even if Horikoshi doesn't personally supervise every piece of media about MHA, all of them are considered official. None of them contradict main or secondary sources of canon. All these works tell their own stories, but it's the same universe everytime by official publishers for the series.

Even if you say "it's secondary canon", that doesn't mean much because as long as it doesn't contradict main canon, it itself is still canon.

@Kingofwolves999; but if we get calcs from the movie that upgrades virtually all the students (which it likely will since movies have better animation quality than the series can hope for in the regular anime, leading to more impressive feats), does it really seem best to try and inflate their profiles if the manga doesn't support those changes?

Are there any contradictions to those upgrades though?

Please name a feat for anyone in class 1-a that is after the Overhaul arc which justifies their current ratings. Please.

Ochako is still 9-A from a fight that happened nearly a year ago in canon despite training non stop that whole time. Most of the other characters are still stated physically inferior to Shinsou, who hasn't been training nearly as long or in the same conditions as them. Some of these characters don't even do anything for their shown tiers.

Is it inflating their profiles if 90% of the class has been absolutely featless for nearly a year canon wise, and SEVERAL years to us as readers?

The fact that Nine did have a cameo in the manga, with his Heroes Rising look, makes him canon, at least.

Then, there is the Deku & Bakugo: Rising manga, which while is a spinoff, could still be considered canon, similar to how Vigilantes, written by Hideyuki Furuhash, is considered canon, even before it was brought up in the main manga.

On top of that, Horikoshi stated, in an interview in the Toho Cinematic T Magazine about Two Heroes [with the context being about including a bit of All Might's past into the movie]:

"Of course, without a doubt, the movie and manga are adjoined, and the movie is connected to the manga story that happens after it."
It'd be weird if this applied to Two Heroes but not Heroes Rising, given the fact both of these movies had Horikoshi serve as both a character designer and a supervisor.

Yeah. They should all be stronger now after a year of training sense they got their feats as they are pretty much featleas

>"Of course, without a doubt, the movie and manga are adjoined, and the movie is connected to the manga story that happens after it."

Honestly this just seems like lipservice seeing as Two Heroes has never been "connected to the manga story" since it came out.

Damage3245 said:
>"Of course, without a doubt, the movie and manga are adjoined, and the movie is connected to the manga story that happens after it."

Honestly this just seems like lipservice seeing as Two Heroes has never been "connected to the manga story" since it came out.
But Damage, them not showing up in the story again doesn't mean they're not going to.

Well he won't like when bakugo gets a one for all 100% key that's island level along with deku haveing full cowl 100% being island Level too while everyone but him agrees that it's Cannon

Horikoshi tries super hard to connect the movies to manga by setting time and place. He makes sure move sets are consistent with the versions of the characters being used. He supervises heavily the story and writing. He designs the original characters, let's the movie team use his ideas and even uses them to express stories he can't tell in the manga.

That isn't "lip service." That's him taking movies and using them to further his series, not as cool side stories for action.

DragonEmperor23 said:
But Damage, them not showing up in the story again doesn't mean they're not going to.
If something happens later in the manga to support it being canon, then I'll support it.

The movie events not being mentionated in the manga is such a poor argument, there is no reason for them to randomly brought that up.

We already have enough clues in the manga to safely assume that the events in this film did happen.

If all this was reveresed, would you stick by this argument @Damage?

If Horikoshi said the movies weren't canon, if the feats made no sense, if it was made by a completely different, unofficial company, but was referenced in the Manga, would you say it was canon?

Yeah it would be really jarring if Deku said in his meeting with All Might randomly out of nowhere "Hey All Might do you remember when I saved that island that one time and gave up OFA but then got it back even though this had nothing to do with our previous conversation."

@Kingofwolves999; that's a very different and contradictory situation right there.

@Sora; good thing I never said that I expected that to happen? Don't try and make a strawman here.

i genuinely do think the movie should be canon. Horikoshi has stated its canon, there's a manga tie in, and nine outright had a cameo panel

like therefir said, there's enough stuff in the manga for us to conclude that the movies are likely canon

But you can understand how your own logic is nearly the same right? Several official sources, including the author himself, are claiming the movies are canon, fit into the primary sources time line, and are being directly used to show stories Horikoshi can't show due to his plans for the manga.

Despite all this, despite assistants supervised by Horikoshi writing chapters to better connect the movies, despite a direct cameo from one of the most important movie characters; you still say that, since there was no comment about them, they aren't canon.

Back