• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Spoiler Thread: My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising

> Why would a sentient quirk have a defense mechanism against being stolen from its normal way of passing down, but not a different way?

It doesn't have any defense mechanism.

This part of that head canon I mentioned earlier.

> Isn't the entire narrative purpose of OFA is that only it can combat AFO? Why would that narrative be pushed if AFO can steal it like any other quirk?

We don't know how AFO hasn't stolen OFA yet.

Kingofwolves999 said:
AM himself said the quirk can't be forcibly stolen, and if it's only in reference to the DNA part and not AFO, which wouldn't make sense but let's go with that, then now we have even further understanding that taking it is not easy at all.

Deku doesn't want Nine to have the quirk, so even if he has a quirk to take quirks, why would OFA go to him? Why would a sentient quirk have a defense mechanism against being stolen from its normal way of passing down, but not a different way? Especially when that way was how it was created in the first place? Isn't the entire narrative purpose of OFA is that only it can combat AFO? Why would that narrative be pushed if AFO can steal it like any other quirk?
He wouldn't want to think about the guy who killed his mentor, and is now dead, and we don't know if any users of One For All encountered that. It just doesn't activate if the user doesn't want it too. You're asking why a spaceship that can turn off its thrusters doesn't resist a tractor beam.

If it has no defense mechanism, how can it not be forcibly stolen? As long as you ingest the users hair, you should have the quirk, without question. But you can't. Why? Because the user needs to want you to have it. If the user doesn't want you to have it, it doesn't transfer. It shuts down its main function of passing.

If we don't know how he hasn't stolen OFA yet, how can you say with certainty that Nine, with AFO's own quirk, could definitely 100% without a shadow of a doubt do so? Especially when there are, as you yourself admitting, so many other factors that haven't yet been displayed about the quirk? It's literally a sentient power, I don't know how you can honestly say that Nine not taking it was only due to his explanation from his own perspective.

Knowing what we know about the quirk, that Nine doesn't know, it should be incredibly simple to deduce an alternate and possibly more accurate reason for why he couldn't take it.

@Procrastination

He literally told this to Deku right before telling him about All for One. This was in the exact same conversation. There's no way he wouldn't be thinking about AFO when discussing about how the quirk works and was created.

At bare minimum, AFO's younger brother fought him with the quirk and lost. Despite that, he passed it on anyway. Are you suggesting AFO fought his brother and, not once, thought to just take away the quirk he gave him? Especially since he wouldn't want to kill his brother whom he mostly thought of as a slight annoyance?

Also, the quirk does activate when the user doesn't want it too. Deku can be asleep and the quirk will activate. Deku can be somewhat angry and the quirk will activate. Deku can be under mind control and unable to do anything and the quirk will activate. OFA is sentient, unlike every other quirk, and that's one of the biggest reasons it shouldn't be possible to take like other quirks.

> As long as you ingest the users hair, you should have the quirk, without question.

Evidently not. This isn't stated or implied anywhere.

> If we don't know how he hasn't stolen OFA yet, how can you say with certainty that Nine, with AFO's own quirk, could definitely 100% without a shadow of a doubt do so?

He was in the process of doing it.

Again, that's solely talking about its own means of being passed down, corresponding with the next line "but it can be forcibly given."

He was probably just good enough at the Joestar secret technique, and knowledgeable enough about his brother's power. It's also interesting that air techniques go back at least one user.

I'm sentient. That doesn't mean that I can do things that my body doesn't have the means for. In the same way, One For All is limited to activating and deactivating the various Quirks it consists of.

The God Of Procrastination said:
Limit-breaker9910 said:
Midoriya and Bakugou are mountain lvl? Large mountain lvl? Or island lvl?
We don't know yet.
Ohh okay I watched the movie and to me I would've said they are around mountain lvl individually when they both had ofa bakugo was producing huge explosions but I didn't see him blow up no mountain, then again bakugo final attack was thrown into the water and it absorbed the vibrations so we wasn't able to see how much damage it done. And on last thing they both together did disperse nine final attack on the island I thick he was gonna destroy it with whatever was coming down but together they got rid of it.

@Damage you ignored a good portion of what I was saying in those paragraphs. I said that, if OFA didn't have a defense mechanism, it should be able to be forcibly taken. But it CANT be forcibly taken. It's main function shuts down on user input. So we can confirm it does indeed have some sort of protection that isn't reliant on "too many quirks."

And he failed. For reasons he rationalized had to do with the number of quirks, when really it was probably due to entirely different circumstances revolving the origin and nature of the quirk itself.

Also, if the predecessors revealing themselves was to show the different quirks that were present in OfA, why did All Might show up too, even though he's quirkless. He doesn't have a quirk that needs to be protected from being stolen. So why did he show up.

@procrastination

So the first OFA wielder just ran away after fighting his brother? Despite being sickly and weak, he stood up and fought AFO, and you're basically saying he managed to perfectly kite him the entire fight to not be touched, and only after sustaining injuries did he run away.

OFA shows detailed visions of the past, talks to him, advises him, shows him how to use quirks and breaks him out of mind control. That's not "activating and deactivating the quirks inside it", that's sentience.

Honestly, this whole debate can be summed up by asking the simple questions of "what are quirks" and "how does AFO steal quirks."

Quirks are physical parts of a person's body, coming from their quirk factor/plus alpha. Quirks are a part of the DNA of a character, hence why no two quirks can ever be the exact same. There is a specific "thing" in a person's body that activates their quirk, explained by Eraserhead as what he shuts down with his own quirk.

With this in mind, how does AFO steal quirks? He has to be physically drawing something out of a person in order to steal their quirk, and given how OFA works, it's possibly their DNA, or something equivalent to it. Maybe it's their plus alpha itself? Who knows, but either way, AFO has to physically take something away from someone to take their quirk, given how quirks work. It's not like he's sucking magic out of someone.

OFA, theoretically, therefore directly counters this because it shuts down any way of transference when the Holder doesn't want it to be transferred. The DNA becomes stagnant, and either contains no trace of the quirk or a messed up version of it. It's almost like the holder is actually quirkless.

No, it has the specific ability to transfer itself, which it has the option to not do. Again, you're asking why a spaceship that can turn off its thrusters doesn't resist a tractor beam (don't get into the technicality that the thrusters could be used to fight back, One For All's clearly can't, as it can only go "outwards").

But WHY does it have the option to not do so? What does it do to the body that makes it so, if the user doesn't want it to transfer, it doesn't?

If I take Deku's DNA and ingest it somehow, I won't get one for all, despite having his DNA within me. That DNA should contain the quirk, and with it, the gene that allows it to be passed on. So why don't I get it?

No, that's an entirely different function. That is "activation", which OFA can also do. One for All when activated as an emitter type quirk gives a boost to the users stats, as it's a stockpiling power. For Deku, activation can also be the other quirks inside OFA. Those are clear and obvious affects of activating the quirk.

The quirk not transferring is not. If you took a piece of Deku's hair and gave it to Bakugo, with neither of them knowing, Bakugo wouldn't get the quirk because Deku didn't give him express permission, despite him believing Bakugo is worthy. That's because "consent" is required. If there is no consent, then Deku's dna doesn't have OFA in it. The quirk is dormant. It's main function is suppressed.

So if AFO were to steal Deku's DNA, he would get stagnant DNA with inactive OFA.

It is also "activated" when he passes it on. Remember, it was originally a number of quirks, and sort of still is. It's like how Black Whip needs activating. AFOB's Quirk is described as the power to actively give one's powers to others. By the way, that sounds like an incomplete version of All For One.

Yes, but until it is "activated", it might as well not exist. The transfer part of it makes his DNA stagnant unless he chooses for it to not be. When that part of the quirk is "active", then the person who takes his DNA will get OFA. If it isn't active, they won't get anything, even if they're considered worthy. "Active" = DNA actually contains OFA, and thus the power to transfer. "Inactive" = DNA doesn't contain the "actual" OFA and doesn't transfer. Thus, if AFO were to take the "inactive" DNA, he wouldn't get anything.

Also, how AFO even works is still unknown. He might steal only the "plus alpha" in someone, in which case OFA wouldn't even count as it's a foreign entity in the users body. Heck, maybe the fact THAT it's a foreign entity makes it impossible to take.

OFA is like an invasive symbiote that is genetically bound to Deku. It isn't Deku himself, it's not truly part of him, and it can leave him at any moment if he so desires. Does this not seem like such a radical outlier to normal quirks, that it being "stolen" can be seen as impossible?

AFO would be essentially "picking from the wrong garden", in Deku speak. The quirk is part of him, but not part of him at the same time since it can go away. That makes it unique, in that it has a choice. Other quirks don't.

Also, like I said, the predecessors themselves show up if OFA is being stolen. That scene was not a "representation of the number of quirks nine is stealing", because All Might, who didn't have a quirk for Nine to steal, was there.

It means he has the quirk and ability to activate the quirk within him, copied from the Doctor. He basically copy pasted AFO onto Nine, but had to cut out a bunch of it because Nine couldn't perfectly handle it, unlike Shiggy. It's just a worse AFO.

Finally saw the movie and I gotta say, that made the Overhaul Fight look like a joke, which is really impressive

Also One For All chose Deku and decided to stay with him, that's interesting and not entirely BS

Gotta say it was really nice seeing all of Class 1-A fight and get pushed to the brink, these villains were no joke, they pushed them to the absolute limit

Yeah, the movie was great. Tons of shine for characters I wasn't expecting to have any. Aoyama was great, Kirishima was great, Sero/Uraraka combo was the MVP.

Villains were way more interesting than Wolram and his goons as well. I REALLY hope the whole class gets that much shine in the coming war, because it would be fantastic to see this level of dedication, determination, will power and sheer plus ultra again.

Also them feats, jesus

Storm Clouds Created by Nine and then Completely blown away by Deku and Bakugou, plus all the explosions and insane feats

Also Endeavor hugging Todoroki at the end was fuqing hilarious

Gotta say this movie blew all of Season 4 and the last movie out of the water, which is really hard since I liked both of those a lot

Note: add "were pierced through with energy beams twice, struck with a lightning bolt then blasted by air pressure and were still conscious" to Deku and Bakugo's stamina. Also, "was burned by a fire tornado, then pierced with several energy beams, then got their bones broken by dragons, then broke their arms and the rest of their bones with full cowl 100%, and largely ignored the pain and fought like they were completely fine"

Also if Nine is a very incomplete version of what Shigaraki is going to be, then hero society is so ******... infinite quirk Shigaraki+decay could absolutely wreck a 100% Deku since it took both a 100% Deku and Bakugou to defeat an Incomplete All For One quirk who was also losing stamina fast...

Like actually Shigaraki gonna make Nine look like a Baby

Well, to be honest either of them probably could have soloed Nine considering how badly they were beating his ass when they went 100%. Like, his best efforts at beating them was spamming lasers and dragons, both of which they dodged, blew away or tanked easily. He made a super barrier with like 9 layers and Deku drilled through it like it wasn't there. A single explosion from Bakugo had him cringing from pain and bleeding, and a kick to the head KO'd his ass. Bakugo torching him was fantastic overkill.

And Deku was rapidly getting weaker as well since he passed OFA to Bakugo, so he's likely somewhat stronger than that normally.

If Deku wasn't bound by plot, he should've gone full cowl 100% and soloed. But oh well, Horikoshi's plot line wanted to be followed.

So were those actual lasers or just energy beams what are their speeds gonna be upgraded to unless you guys are unsure at the moment and same with their attack potency?

Back