• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Spinachless Popeye tier and feats and verse name change

Amelia_Lonelyheart

Luckiest Lady in the Land
She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
So i'm nowhere near done with my "Popeye feats collection" project (but I just got a bunch of classic Popeye comics) but I figured I have a strong enough case for 9-B Popeye without spinach.

Attack Potency: At least Wall level (As a young man, he hit Brutus so hard he bent metal walls. Defeated an entire buildings worth of armed men, causing walls to blast ope. Punched out the Mongolian Monster, without any issue. Killed a shark with his bare hands, uprooted a tree. Sunk a pirate ship, bent a gun with his raw strength), likely higher Sunk a whaling ship with the "force of a torpedo" and was compared to a tsunami. Easily defeated Ogbert)

Speed: At least SuperHuman (Pushed a truck fast enough to where it caused a dust trail)

I'm sure Popeye is stronger but those have been the most bulk of the feats i've found so far. Admittedly they're only from a small handful of comics but I figured something is more than nothing in this case.

Should scale to Bluto and Brutus, since Bluto almost knocked out Popeye and Brutus has knocked out Bluto.

As for the other big thing, I think we should change the verse name from "Popeye (Verse)" to "Thimble Theater". Popeye is not the name of the series, it's actually just a spin off of another series called "Thimble Theater". A fair amount of comics even present themselves as "Thimble Theater presents...Popeye!" such as the Bobby London collections.

Thoughts?

tfw as soon as I finish typing this up I remembered during Bobby London's run, Popeye survived an entire factory's worth of explosives that completely, destroyed entire factory, bombs that leveled a city block and an entire supply of SCUD rockets. I guess I can calc those once I figure out how to scan the book.

But Tier 9-8 spinachless Popeye seems good-to-go for now.

Yes. 1-C Popeye seems reasonable due to beating a cat-dog-thing from the 7th Dimension I aprove no bs here

I agree

I mean, Olive Oyl's evil robot baby from Bluto (long story) beat the shit out of a 4th dimensional being which is actually 5th dimensional since it transcends the "sea of time" so....idk. Popeye cosmology is weird.

Reading through the last stories in Bobby's run. Popeye on his death bed caught bullets and tanked 50 rifle rounds and then tore down a good portion of a prison just because he had the will to fight for what's right. ******* badass.

No objection to the name change, but perhaps for reputability, keep "Popeye (Verse)" as a redirect in the url &/or search so that people can still easily find it if they don't know about the proper name?

Also, aren't there some torpedos &/or tsunamis higher than Wall Level? Popeye being compared to one sounds slightly higher than Wall Level. But I can agree WL is more consistent by a long shot.

On second thought, I think that it seems better to redirect Thimble Theater to Popeye, as it is a much more well-known title.

@Imag. They are indeed stronger but it's not a literal comparison. The guy thought Popeye destroying the ship was a tsunami hitting it. Really impressive but basically unquantifiable

@Ant. The verse name is called Thimble Theater. Popeye is a spin-off from it, not just another title in the series. I think making Popeye a redirect to it is far more reasonable.

@Light. We don't really see the destruction he caused directly, just the aftermath. That said he has a few Tier 8 without spinach but since I have the physical book and scans are basically impossible to find online, I can't calc them just yet.

Back