• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Spider-Verse Upgrades (8-B and Class M)

me agree with LS, disagree with 8-B scaling (unless they downscale heavily, if that's even possible)

We usually avoid scaling characters to what kills them or injures them in an extremely intense way, otherwise we'd have 9-B irl humans for surviving vehicle crashes, falls from high heights, ramming from large animals and so on.
Even if a character survive things way higher than their previously established rating, just to die or take huge efforts to recover, it still wouldn't be a proper indication of their actual or intended durability.
Shortly, even if Spidey didn't get pulverized by the collider, an explosion of that kind is still supposed to be lethal for him.

LS should be fine, btw.

Shortly, even if Spidey didn't get pulverized by the collider, an explosion of that kind is still supposed to be lethal for him.
Once more, he was not at 100%. He fought The Green Goblin, and Prowler, explicitly mentioning his fatigue afterwards, and was shoved head first into the collider without instantly dying, and only then could Kingpin kill him. Hell, again, even his intro shows him taking a collider blast and he didn’t die, evidenced by the fact that it’s a flashback.

Once more, he was not at 100%. He fought The Green Goblin, and Prowler, explicitly mentioning his fatigue afterwards, and was shoved head first into the collider without instantly dying, and only then could Kingpin kill him. Hell, again, even his intro shows him taking a collider blast and he didn’t die, evidenced by the fact that it’s a flashback.

No, the intro didn't show a flashback of him being struck by the 8-B explosion.

I fully agree with Saman, the 8-C and Class M calcs are fine though

I agree with this as well.

After going through the scene frame-by-frame, I don't think that the full explosion would scale to Spider-Man as he's visible at least a couple meters away from the actual epicenter of the explosion when it goes off:

jDES5rj.png

Surface area guidelines would come into effect here.
At the end of the day, this still needs to be addressed, since that would likely knock down the value of how much Spider-Man really withstood from the explosion

Wouldn't that be ground for at most 8-B?
I think not, because otherwise we'd set the standard for all "At mosts" durabilities to whatever a character is shown to withstand unless immediately killed. I don't like to always fall back on the same points, but 10-B durability still accounts the possibility to survive 9-B levels of force.

I think not, because otherwise we'd set the standard for all "At mosts" durabilities to whatever a character is shown to withstand unless immediately killed. I don't like to always fall back on the same points, but 10-B durability still accounts the possibility to survive 9-B levels of force.
I don't think you need to keep mentioning the real world because shit like that is case by case. I don't see why not, considering we have stuff like Luke Cage getting at most Low 7-C+ for surviving a small nuclear explosion that left him on the brink

We probably should figure out for certain whether or not hollowness should be used for the gear calc, seeing as that's appearing to be a more reliable feat to scale from.

Please don't bring other verses into the debate (although still marvel-related); even if Luke's rating was wrong, it wouldn't make this right.
By the way, I believe Luke's dura is specifically due to his power being related to enhanced durability and the feat being thousands of times above his normal rating, making it a more unique case. Still, whataboutism shouldn't be brought into the debate.

They shouldn't scale to 8-B at all. Peter being fatigued or not being 100% Power doesn't change the fact the 8-B Explosion nearly killed him. What proof is there that this so called "100% Peter" can even tank the explosion any better? In the same Flashback, we quite literally see Green Goblin also taking the explosion and he managed to live that while the one in the movie, he straight up dies from it.
The Class M and High 8-C one looks more promising and even feels consistent if that makes sense.

This wouldn't yield anything crazy, but you could also get durability off of the giant barbell feat via GPE. You'd just have to calc how high he'd have to lift it to press it. I imagine the result is high into wall level at worst, maybe somewhere in Small Building level at best. So a supportive feat ig.

Even if he was previously tired and injured, it doesn't prove he would have tanked the 8-B explosion. Of course a beating has a toll on one's body, but it doesn't lower their durability considerably.
You would need actual evidence that he died only because of the injuries sustained during the fight.
The reason why he died was because Kingpin finished him off, despite admitting that the coughing was "probably not a good sign" if they never found him he would have most likely been able to recover.

I tried estimating how much of the explosion Peter took using Comic Peter's height and weight for cross-sectional area + assuming 2 meters for the distance as per Damage's comment since I dunno how to calc it, and got 0.985 Tons
If you go through the video were using for the explosion at 5:19 frame by frame we actually get a better angle of how far away RIPeter was from the blast. A second before at 5:18 you can also see going frame by frame that Peter is definitely at the centre of the colliders beam, but Goblin either reacts to the explosion before it happens and loses his grip on him or Peter really was right up close to the explosion.

Would the 9-A+ calc complicate the Tier 8 upgrades since this value practically almost killed 1610 Spidey?
Not really, I wouldn't consider this a normal airburst explosion, there are probably other factors in it that make it more dangerous than a normal explosion, factors that we can't calculate.

Just scale him to other feats.

Therefir makes good points. It's not your conventional airburst explosion, it's got other stuff going for it.

Back