• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Speed equalization: When and why is it necessary?

Hello, I can't exactly understand the reason why the speeds of certain characters are equalized in battles. As a few examples:

Equalizing characters while they're mostly known for their Speed, or their speed literally being their best gimmick seems really unfair to me. I've read the Versus thread rules but I couldn't see an answer there.

Sorry if this is a dumb question lmao

Last edited:
Speed is, under a lot of circumstances, a far more critical and game winning aspect than a lot of other stuff. Imagine playing a checkers or chess against someone but they're only allowed to move after you've taken 20 turns without an answer.

This is a more crippling advantage when the speedster is even semi-competent at using their powers. For example some of the matches above the speedster character is a couple dozen times faster to infinitely faster. At that point they could make thousands of move or avoid every single attack from their other opponent. So speed is one of the more common items to be limited generally, though afaik I believe you can limit certain powers anyways for a fight as long as its noted.

Speed is a real significant factor for win condition. Sometimes characters win matches by only speed advantage. Which makes no fun creating vs threads and having no real fun debate together.

The only example I think of is Rimuru vs Anos; Anos would win it by just having immeasurable speed while Rimuru has only infinite speed. So Rimuru is shown as frozen against Anos. There is no real debate or discussion when win condition is clear. That's why you need to equalize speed to make debate actually more fun.

Thanks for the clarification Dread. So this means that if the character who got his speed equalized loses solely because of that reason, it wouldn't be considered a loss for him or a win for his opponent as the versus thread rules say. Right?

Correct. If the defining factor of a faster person losing is because somehow the enemy is faster or he got outsped. It is not a valid win or lose. But if the wincon is Because hax is stronger or abilities are better and can kill/incapacitate . It would be valid.

Thanks for the clarification Dread. So this means that if the character who got his speed equalized loses solely because of that reason, it wouldn't be considered a loss for him or a win for his opponent as the versus thread rules say. Right?
Yap definitely (sorry I forget to answer back)

Back