• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"Speed Blitzes" and "One-Shots"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess as a compromise between Options 2 and 3 we can accompany the case-by-case multipliers with a note stating:
Please recognise that this page only covers basic situations described in a vs. battle, and the effectiveness of a character's speed advantage can be drastically altered by the presence of factors such as Character-Induced Stupidity, Starting Distance, Terrain, Combat Skills, and effects of other powers. As such, ensure these factors, if present, are addressed before deeming the match a speedblitz.
That officially discourages the "lack of discussion" within threads as brought up by FinePoint, which is basically the crux of his point, feel free to correct me if I misinterpret.

Last edited:
It seems so, yes. It can probably be applied now.

Okay so thread resurrection,

Now that we’ve accepted an option, we need to narrow down a few common cases in a vs. thread, for us to have a discussion of speed mutliplier over

Melee/extended melee battles (H2H, blunt force melee or bladed combat)

Ranged combat (Firearms and short ranged missiles)

Dogfighting (Ranged flight combat in atmosphere or in space)

Long ranged combat (Snipers, artillery, long ranged missiles and ship to ship battles)

Need it a bit more specific, but this works

Assuming no CIS, infinite stamina and environmental obstructions. Character A is the character getting speed-blitz

Case I: Character A is in in H2H combat with the opponent, equal skill level, 1 metre distance

Case II: Character A is in extended melee-weapon combat with the opponent, equal skill level, 5 metres

Case III: Character A is using a projectile-based weapon firing at a speed near instantaneous from their own perspective, low skill level, starting distance 20 metres

Case IV: Character A is using a projectile-based weapon firing at a speed near instantaneous from their own perspective, military level training, starting distance 20 metres

Case V: Character A has thought-based ability capable of oneshotting the opponent while the opponent has a projectile-based weapon firing at a speed near instantaneous from their own perspective, starting distance 10 metres.

Case VI: Character A has thought-based ability capable of oneshotting the opponent while the opponent can oneshot Character A by melee combat, starting distance 10 metres

Case VII: Both Character A and their opponent have thought-based abilties capable of oneshotting each other.

and so on...

Stuff like this, we need to define the MINIMUM speed gap required to never get hit by Character A OR hitting and KOing Character A before they can respond. If a specific speed type or multiple speed types are needing definitions in a specific case, please state them all.

@Antvasima Can you gather either calc group opinion or general staff opinion on what the minimum speed gap for the blitz should be for the above cases? Unsure which to go for.

These aren’t all the possible common cases listed of course, but it’s a fine start and sampling on how cases will be listed (Either on the Speed Blitz page itself or its own wiki page, similar to References for Common Feats)

Sorry I just skimmed through this thread and don't know if it's been brought up already, but I was thinking of listing the ratio of speed of a human to a few notable irl objects to give some frame of reference to how much a speed difference really is. Like how much faster a bullet is than a human, how much faster a speeding car is, how much faster a pro fighter is than a normal human etc

There won't be any value associated with a blitz, it's just there to help understand the situation in a vs match better since a numerical difference won't convey much

@Antvasima Can you gather either calc group opinion or general staff opinion on what the minimum speed gap for the blitz should be for the above cases? Unsure which to go for.

These aren’t all the possible common cases listed of course, but it’s a fine start and sampling on how cases will be listed (Either on the Speed Blitz page itself or its own wiki page, similar to References for Common Feats)
@DontTalkDT @Executor_N0 @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @Mr._Bambu @Therefir @DMUA @DemonGodMitchAubin @Jasonsith @Wokistan @Armorchompy @Migue79 @Psychomaster35 @CloverDragon03 @KLOL506 @M3X @Dark-Carioca @AbaddonTheDisappointment

Would you be willing to help out here please?

Hm, it's an interesting question with interesting cases... I'm not entirely sure what to go with for each.

Theoretically, the type 2 approach seem most appropriate.

However, what values to fit for each case can be varying a lot or sometimes indecisive.

discussion isn't about Option 1, 2, 3 anymore >:V

I wouldn't care as much but we literally got a poll down and now it's back to square one :/

I'll cross out the poll so people aren't confused

Need it a bit more specific, but this works

Assuming no CIS, infinite stamina and environmental obstructions. Character A is the character getting speed-blitz

Case I: Character A is in in H2H combat with the opponent, equal skill level, 1 metre distance

Case II: Character A is in extended melee-weapon combat with the opponent, equal skill level, 5 metres

Case III: Character A is using a projectile-based weapon firing at a speed near instantaneous from their own perspective, low skill level, starting distance 20 metres

Case IV: Character A is using a projectile-based weapon firing at a speed near instantaneous from their own perspective, military level training, starting distance 20 metres

Case V: Character A has thought-based ability capable of oneshotting the opponent while the opponent has a projectile-based weapon firing at a speed near instantaneous from their own perspective, starting distance 10 metres.

Case VI: Character A has thought-based ability capable of oneshotting the opponent while the opponent can oneshot Character A by melee combat, starting distance 10 metres

Case VII: Both Character A and their opponent have thought-based abilties capable of oneshotting each other.

and so on...

Stuff like this, we need to define the MINIMUM speed gap required to never get hit by Character A OR hitting and KOing Character A before they can respond. If a specific speed type or multiple speed types are needing definitions in a specific case, please state them all.
@Executor_N0 @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @Mr._Bambu @Therefir @DMUA @DemonGodMitchAubin @Jasonsith @Wokistan @Armorchompy @Migue79 @Psychomaster35 @CloverDragon03 @KLOL506 @M3X @Dark-Carioca @AbaddonTheDisappointment

Would you be willing to evaluate this please?

Hmmmm, seems like a never-ending list of Cases where the multipliers could all be different due to various factors. I'd await further input.

My biggest concern is just how many different cases there could be, because theoretically there are countless different cases to account for.

Like everyone else said, the amount of different factors going into making the list and the amount of different cases and distances pretty much makes a comprehensive list nigh-impossible.

Though, do we have any concrete multipliers or generally accepted multipliers for speed blitzing currently?

So 34.3 m/s over 5 m/s is 6.86. Neat for a speed blitz.

Also, to warrant: we apply speed difference or reaction to e difference?

Also, is this used solely for versus debate threads and not for in-verse scaling?

So 34.3 m/s over 5 m/s is 6.86. Neat for a speed blitz.

Also, to warrant: we apply speed difference or reaction to e difference?

Also, is this used solely for versus debate threads and not for in-verse scaling?
I mean reaction difference for average human to subsonic is 6.87285223368 so it's not that much of a difference at all.

Also yeah this is only for vs debating I think

There are only as many cases as we need, the point isn’t to have EVERY POSSIBLE CASE listed, it’s to have a few common ones up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back