• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Specifying Immortality/Resurrection/Healing capability with Regeneration level (Staff only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobsican

He/Him
Continued from here

This is mostly a somewhat minor addition to the Immortality, Resurrection and Healing pages to allow to specify on up to how much damage the respective ability can cover based on how we rate Regeneration.

Strictly speaking they're Regeneration with extra steps, so it shouldn't be too controversial beyond the wording to allow the optional (but ideal) capability to index stuff like "Immortality (Type 8, Low-Godly, sample explanation text)", for someone whose type 8 immortality has shown to work up to a Low-Godly level, for example.

It's quite impractical to have to quite redundantly list Regeneration on a page that's bound to other factors (namely the first three powers in the title) just to specify on how far it can work, and I think it'd be a good thing to formally allow to reduce NLF arguments and raise awareness of indexing accuracy.

It works as an optional thing, but it's completely impossible to make it mandatory, since quite often healing is portrayed as an unquantifiable amount of health restored, without visual indication of how much has been regenerated.

Same goes for immortality and resurrection, some types they're just indicated or shown without specific details.

It works as an optional thing, but it's completely impossible to make it mandatory, since quite often healing is portrayed as an unquantifiable amount of health restored, without visual indication of how much has been regenerated.

Same goes for immortality and resurrection, some types they're just indicated or shown without specific details.
This makes sense to me as well.

quite often healing is portrayed as an unquantifiable amount of health restored, without visual indication of how much has been regenerated.

This is indeed an issue to consider.

It's a case by case thing; regeneration isn't fundamentally linear per say and it's common for higher level regeneration to not be flexible in which they only regenerate if the level of damage/destruction is intense enough. For example, there are characters with Low-Godly to Mid-Godly who cannot regenerate severed limbs but only regenerate if their entire body is erased. Immortality type 3 or 4 is also situational; some character don't technically die in the first place if Low-Godly destruction happens to them since they're consciousness remains where as others temporarily die but then come back from the dead soon after.

The only difference between Healing and Regeneration is that regeneration is like an automatic/passive thing where as Healing is via certain items and/or an active healing technique.

Last edited:

Yeah, game and text-based verses are the main culprits here, and so this can't really be enforced in vague enought cases, it'd still be "unknown" for our purposes in any case, but it'd have been the same either way.
For that matter, it'd be a good idea to specify which kinds of immortality this could apply to, for example, type 1 immortality isn't really bound to regeneration in the conventional sense. Immortalities that are compatible with this from a glance include 2, 3, 4 and 8.

It's a case by case thing; regeneration isn't fundamentally linear per say and it's common for higher level regeneration to not be flexible in which they only regenerate if the level of damage/destruction is intense enough. For example, there are characters with Low-Godly to Mid-Godly who cannot regenerate severed limbs but only reaerate if their entire body is erased. Immortality type 3 or 4 is also situational; some character don't technically die in the first place if Low-Godly destruction happens to them since they're consciousness remains where as others temporarily die but then come back from the dead soon after.

The only difference between Healing and Regeneration is that regeneration is like an automatic/passive thing where as Healing is via certain items and/or an active healing technique.
As for this, this is more of a flaw on the Regeneration page, and should be clarified accordingly to reduce claims that anyone with Mid-Godly regeneration or the like can inherently recover from being stabbed, yes.

Last edited:
Given that a good amount of staff is fine with the premise and all, I suppose we can start writing a concept for the note to feature in the Immortality/Healing/Resurrection pages:

"Note: The displayed capability of how far the ability goes should be based on the Regeneration rating system, if possible."

The wording is very rough, but at least it reminds on what's desired for the purposes of the thread at the moment.

The Immortality one in particular should also note that this stuff only really applies to types 2, 3, 4 and 8, given that the rest aren't really based on ignoring/recovering from damage or the like.

Yes, I only agreed with using our Regeneration scale for the Healing page on an optional basis, if I remember correctly.

I'm seeing agreements on that also going to the Immortality and Resurrection pages with no objections for that matter.
We could also do DDM's idea of editing the Regeneration page to clarify that regeneration from high levels doesn't mean one can recover from anything below (say, someone regenerating from EE may not regenerate from being stabbed).

Last edited:
Well, we need further input from the staff members who commented here previously first.

So should we insert optional levels for the Healing page only?
I'm seeing agreements on that also going to the Immortality and Resurrection pages with no objections for that matter.
We could also do DDM's idea of editing the Regeneration page to clarify that regeneration from high levels doesn't mean one can recover from anything below (say, someone regenerating from EE may not regenerate from being stabbed).
Well, we need further input from the staff members who commented here previously first.
@SamanPatou @Colonel_Krukov @LordGriffin1000 @Elizhaa @DarkDragonMedeus @Nehz_XZX @Tllmbrg @KLOL506

Unsure. Though this does remind me of the race from Alamar Kingdom of Reckoning, were they possessed Low-Godly regeneration but only after they died. Meaning they couldn't regenerate stab wounds until their essesne returned to their homeland and they regenerated completely new bodies. So I can see how some characters can have a specific level of regeneration but can't regenerate from a lesser wound.

I guess something like a note could be added?

So should we insert optional levels for the Healing page only?
Meh, I think we can just reference the Regeneration page in a note explaining optional levels, also because beyond a certain point healing basically becomes resurrection.

This makes sense, tho I'd put a necessarily next to "doesn't mean one can" (I know this isn't the final draft, but I wanted to express the idea).

Oh, it wasn't meant to be a draft to begin with, just a way to express that discussed premise.

In any case, for the note on Regeneration limits:

"Note: Keep in mind that having a Regeneration level doesn't necessarily mean it'll inherently encompass all lower levels for it. So while a character may be capable of recovering from being erased from existence (Mid-Godly), that won't mean the power will trigger as much when being stabbed."

This expresses the concept well, but chances are it'll require some rewording.

I'd also have to ask if this'd be the default if the power isn't really detailed much (say, someone recovers from EE, but has no feats with such power outside of that).

What was in this post

Currently the consensus appears to agree on the notes on the matter just going in the Regeneration page, and at the moment the wording for the note over how a certain Regeneration level doesn't inherently have any level below it is being talked about.

"Note: Keep in mind that having a Regeneration level doesn't necessarily mean it'll inherently encompass all lower levels for it. So while a character may be capable of recovering from being erased from existence (Mid-Godly), that won't mean the power will trigger as much when being stabbed."

This expresses the concept well, but chances are it'll require some rewording.

I'd also have to ask if this'd be the default if the power isn't really detailed much (say, someone recovers from EE, but has no feats with such power outside of that).

I think it'd be best to go one topic at a time to get somewhere, so can we sort this part out first?

Yes, but I wanted to know if our staff have reached some form of consensus already.

So what is the staff consensus here then?

Given the lack of replies, it appears there may not be enought to go properly anywhere so far on that regard.

That may be the case, yes, although I personally wouldn't mind adding that Healing of others should preferably list the demonstrated Regeneration scale of it when it has been demonstrated.

I'm fine optional levels for Healing and a note for a Regeneration level not inherently including the lower levels depending on the case is fine for me as well.

Yeah, that much is agreed on at this point, but whether it'd be fine to do something similar or not to the Immortality and Resurrection pages as well is still yet to be addressed, respectively.

Yeah, that much is agreed on at this point, but whether it'd be fine to do something similar or not to the Immortality and Resurrection pages as well is still yet to be addressed, respectively.
I don't have a strong opinion regarding that.

I personally think that the list translates much more cleanly to Healing alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back