• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Sonic didn't try to redeem either Shadow or Silver, even. Sonic didn't even gave it a try. Shadow was redeemed because of Amy, and Silver's redemption started because of Amy, too.

In Adventure, Sonic is willing to destroy Gamma without a second thought. It's Amy who stops him.

IDW Sonic's problem is that he's the one trying to redeem his villains, when that's more of an Amy character trait.

Sonic didn't try to redeem either Shadow or Silver, even. Sonic didn't even gave it a try. Shadow was redeemed because of Amy, and Silver's redemption started because of Amy, too.

In Adventure, Sonic is willing to destroy Gamma without a second thought. It's Amy who stops him.

IDW Sonic's problem is that he's the one trying to redeem his villains, when that's more of an Amy character trait.
As far as Sonic knows, Sage’s final words to him were “please take care of father”. And Sonic literally doesn’t even give Eggman a second thought to even tell him what happened to her lol.

i mean.....fair for Metal Sonic, but honestly outside of him he never actually tries to? like, with Surge he just said "Look, i won't kill you, i will give you a chance" then she got away both times after without doing much, the only other examples i can think of are mr thinker, which we can all agree is a special case, and mecha mk 2......which, i didn't felt out of character

As far as Sonic knows, Sage’s final words to him were “please take care of father”. And Sonic literally doesn’t even give Eggman a second thought to even tell him what happened to her lol.I thought I was the only one who noticed

DR: All of us have been inspired by the positive reaction to the addition of Cream and Rouge; it’s exhilarating. A few narrative reasons for their inclusion will become clear once you play the game. They pair up nicely with the male counterparts of their skill set. Rouge climbs and glides the same as Knuckles, and Cream can fly just like Tails.

HARDlight is also home to a lot of Cream fans, so much so that in Dash and Forces, we did our version of Cream called Unicorn Cream, which turned out to be immensely popular with the fans. We’re all particularly proud of it, so we felt that everyone would appreciate her inclusion in a proper narrative adventure. For Dream Team, I was able to shape the story around Cream because I wanted it to feel natural to have such a young character in harm’s way, with the reason being circumstantial rather than due to poor or out-of-character choices. Similarly, Shadow and Blaze require more existential-level threats to turn up than the starting point for Dream Team allowed. Blaze must be pulled in from the Sol dimension, so the threat must be felt at that scale. My director brain likes things to make sense and stay in line with how you’d expect the characters to act. That said, Cream and Cheese’s involvement may have been overthought as we all joke in the fandom about how they’re the most powerful force in Sonic’s Universe. I say joke, but if you know, you know.
Link: https://toucharcade.com/2023/11/30/...light-rouge-cream-playable-story-iphone-ipad/

Considering all the discussion around Ian and depicting the Sol Dimension (Especially after the last 10-minute long explanation he gave), kinda funny to see the Dream Team creative director saying this.

Basically means that there are certain things that are integral to a character due to their background and due to that nature, not every character can appear always in every story if the level of the treat doesn't compare to what is on their scale. So for him, for a story to feature Shadow or Blaze from the start, it needs to start with a more existential-level threat.

Basically means that there are certain things that are integral to a character due to their background and due to that nature, not every character can appear always in every story if the level of the treat doesn't compare to what is on their scale. So for him, for a story to feature Shadow or Blaze from the start, it needs to start with a more existential-level threat.
like what?

he shilled this stupid idea of Sonic wanting Eggman to "come around" so much that it was actually included in his Fast Friends Forever bio. That was never Sonic's M.O.
FINALLY! it makes sonic sound like a complete weirdo imo like EGGMAN LITERALLY STARTED A METAL ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE HOW CAN HE BE REDENMED AND EVEN SEVERAL POINTS IN TIME!? (It honestly makes sonic as bad as eggman I say, that panel when sonic is talking to eggman while running on the treadmill on angel island gives me the gags or rubs me the wrong way.) atleast he somewhat has a reason to be ABLE to change thanks to sage.

FINALLY! it makes sonic sound like a complete weirdo imo like EGGMAN LITERALLY STARTED A METAL ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE HOW CAN HE BE REDENMED AND EVEN SEVERAL POINTS IN TIME!?
Yeahhh after the Metal Virus arc is probably where I draw the line lol. Bro caused a worldwide contagion nearly a year before a real life worldwide contagion lmao
(It honestly makes sonic as bad as eggman I say, that panel when sonic is talking to eggman while running on the treadmill on angel island gives me the gags or rubs me the wrong way.)
I liked that conversation on the treadmill because of the verbal lashing he gave Sonic. > atleast he somewhat has a reason to be ABLE to change thanks to sage.
Sage will be super fun to see in later titles. I can't wait. Hey, maybe that's who'll show up in IDW #100.

I have the feeling that Station Square as a setting really was pushed to the side here, basically only being used because "Eggman wanted to re-do his defeat because he lost control over Chaos", which really doesn't feel very interesting.

I have the feeling that it could have been different if they went with the Special Stage... never getting over that lost lol

Kinda weird to see this kind of discourse around IDW Sonic's character and most people blame it on Ian for it. Archie Sonic has been written more serious with him regretting to kill Eggman when he had the chance and he's been written by Ian too. Altough I guess that's what happen when SEGA actually pay attention to comic books about their mascot.

Personally, I kinda don't mind it. With the newer generation looking up to characters like Deku or Tanjiro (Or I guess Steven Universe). I can see why IDW Sonic is written the way he is. I just wish they did more subtle about it when it comes to the metal virus arc or surge. Personally, I think Sonic doesn't need to explain why he does what he does. He just does it and that's all. He's the confident hero who knows everything will be ok as long he's still around kicking and fighting.

Besides, I'm sure people would still perfer this kind of writing over Lost World's writing....right?

FINALLY! it makes sonic sound like a complete weirdo imo like EGGMAN LITERALLY STARTED A METAL ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE HOW CAN HE BE REDENMED AND EVEN SEVERAL POINTS IN TIME!? (It honestly makes sonic as bad as eggman I say, that panel when sonic is talking to eggman while running on the treadmill on angel island gives me the gags or rubs me the wrong way.) atleast he somewhat has a reason to be ABLE to change thanks to sage.
and Eggman tried to blow up the world, and the universe multiple times in the past....really i don't see how metal virus is even close to the worst thing he has done

and Eggman tried to blow up the world, and the universe multiple times in the past....really i don't see how metal virus is even close to the worst thing he has done
You know I feel it's less to do with being worse then any prior scheme that Eggman's pulled off but more to do with the lengths of depravity will go to in order to achieve his goals and finally take out Sonic the Hedgehog. If anything, it's an added list of examples for why Sonic is naive for constantly giving Eggman second chances and why he should probably reevaluate things a little in his beliefs.

So as I said earlier, and as I will stand by with this belief, I think that Sonic shouldn't go for cold blooded murder but just to get rid of Eggman's means of causing more harm to the world when his belief that anyone can change when given the freedom and the chance to do so is constantly challenged by the doctor's mere presence

IDKW but the duality of sonic and the "good" doctor feels quite irrational imo and honestly I agree what kit to an extent that it honestly feels like they just want to prove each others points of belief and nothing else.

Dunno if its a hot take, but they have kinda opened a demon from a bottle. Sonic was cartoony/non-continuity enough that they never lingered on Eggman's issue. They never really talked about it. Now that IDW has talked about Eggman being a menace, yeeaaah its a problem. This is a man who shattered the planet to conquer it. He doesnt seem to be stopping. What the hell can cast do about it?

In Meta sense, nothing. Its their main bad guy who is still popular, SEGA aint gonna kill him lmao Frankly the current Sonic's ideal is kinda best solution. Hell, you could argue that this is a serious flaw for Sonic, but honestly I can see Sonic still giving him a chance after all this time, if Eggman shows even a small bit of not being a total monster. And coincidentally, Sage being a recurring thing might "justify" it.

They probably shouldnt have began this talk in IDW, but since they have and SEGA isnt gonna kill him because cmon, Im fine with Sonic's own ideals clashing with Eggman's. It arguably gives story minor "edge", but there is no other good option here.

Altough I guess that's what happen when SEGA actually pay attention to comic books about their mascot.
Except Sega (especially Sega of Japan) don't write Sonic wanting to redeem Eggman, either. That's exclusively IDW. And unlike stuff like the Shadow discourse, Ian doesn't push the blame on the mandates when talking about Sonic's behavior in IDW.

This is random, but, regardless of stats or anything, are there any matchups for Darkspine Sonic that any of you enjoy, by chance?

Tbh this is why I still don't take IDW too seriously (in terms of story) and I still have reservations about it being "canon", I mean look at all the objectively evil and irredeemable crimes Eggman has done yet is treated as just "another" villain of the week? (combining the games with the comics somehow made him even more of the monster if anything).

Sonic's questionable morals has already been discussed to death so I won't repeat that topic but what about the authorities, the Restoration, G.U.N, etc? What have they done to try to stop Eggman in recent years instead of just relying on the main protagonist? Oh that's right humans don't exist in IDW (excluding Eggman himself) with G.U.N existing more of a Easter Egg than an actual organisation that actually exists in IDW, the Restoration is treated as lesser villain fodder (first the D6, then Dr Starline and now they've been infiltrated by Mimic now lol!), the authorities arrested Mimic, Zavok, Rough and Tumble but their jail was effortlessly infiltrated singlehandily by Dr Starline (Is there even a proper police force in this world?).

Surge and Kit should've been the perfect catalyst of showing the consequences of maintaining such a contradictory BS world but between the shallow, surface level world building that's ment to tie-into the games lore (with no humans, no special stages, no currency, no rings, etc) and the clear status quo Sega wants to enforce (even if it's to the future detriment to their own franchise), I'm just waiting for them inevitably become "Sonic's friends" leading them down the path of jobbers/cheerleaders for a few years before being relevant again OR become something like the Babylon Rogues where they remain antagonistic but are clearly not a serious threat to Sonic, so they just "exist".

Honestly all I can do is laugh at the logic of certain Sega execs that are wilfully sabotaging the Sonic continuity while trying to combine the games, IDW comics and Prime into one (I expect to see some 8D mental gymnastics to tie everything together) despite Sonic being fundamentally characterized differently in all three mediums.

Semi-rant over. Also I feel like Ian might potentially end up as an scapegoat if things do go sour in the future.

Tbh this is why I still don't take IDW too seriously (in terms of story) and I still have reservations about it being "canon", I mean look at all the objectively evil and irredeemable crimes Eggman has done yet is treated as just "another" villain of the week? (combining the games with the comics somehow made him even more of the monster if anything).

Sonic's questionable morals has already been discussed to death so I won't repeat that topic but what about the authorities, the Restoration, G.U.N, etc? What have they done to try to stop Eggman in recent years instead of just relying on the main protagonist? Oh that's right humans don't exist in IDW (excluding Eggman himself) with G.U.N existing more of a Easter Egg than an actual organisation that actually exists in IDW, the Restoration is treated as lesser villain fodder (first the D6, then Dr Starline and now they've been infiltrated by Mimic now lol!), the authorities arrested Mimic, Zavok, Rough and Tumble but their jail was effortlessly infiltrated singlehandily by Dr Starline (Is there even a proper police force in this world?).

Surge and Kit should've been the perfect catalyst of showing the consequences of maintaining such a contradictory BS world but between the shallow, surface level world building that's ment to tie-into the games lore (with no humans, no special stages, no currency, no rings, etc) and the clear status quo Sega wants to enforce (even if it's to the future detriment to their own franchise), I'm just waiting for them inevitably become "Sonic's friends" leading them down the path of jobbers/cheerleaders for a few years before being relevant again OR become something like the Babylon Rogues where they remain antagonistic but are clearly not a serious threat to Sonic, so they just "exist".

Honestly all I can do is laugh at the logic of certain Sega execs that are wilfully sabotaging the Sonic continuity while trying to combine the games, IDW comics and Prime into one (I expect to see some 8D mental gymnastics to tie everything together) despite Sonic being fundamentally characterized differently in all three mediums.

Semi-rant over. Also I feel like Ian might potentially end up as an scapegoat if things do go sour in the future.
W h y do they not exist IDW (Is it because Ian's headcanon wanting? "NOO! HUMAN CAN'T EXIST IN IDW COMICS B-BECAUSE....THEY JUST DON'T OKAY!?")

TBH I can see Prime sonic being canon (Some where like around Sonic colors or lost worlds.) but now I'm quite unsure about IDW considering that what you just said.)

they do exist.....it is just that Sega doesn't want them to show up....for some reason

Chaos Control already has 2-B/A range
image.png

Should his base key have Interdimensional range then?

W h y do they not exist IDW (Is it because Ian's headcanon wanting? "NOO! HUMAN CAN'T EXIST IN IDW COMICS B-BECAUSE....THEY JUST DON'T OKAY!?")

TBH I can see Prime sonic being canon (Some where like around Sonic colors or lost worlds.) but now I'm quite unsure about IDW considering that what you just said.)
Not Ian's fault, let's us not forget Sega apparently reprimanded him as early as #3 of IDW Sonic just for referencing Team Hooligans and ironically a couple years later Sega brought back Team Hooligans in the four seasons IDW special and then Fang fully came back to the games in Superstars so there's definitely something going on there.
they do exist.....it is just that Sega doesn't want them to show up....for some reason
06 likely still living rent free in they heads (17+ years later) I suspect plus anthro OCs are still pretty marketable, a few background characters in IDW were fan designs iirc.

IDW is probably what fits most in the Games considering all else

We haven't seen a Sonic game with any humans besides Eggman since Unleashed and Black Knight. There's absolutely no way it's not SEGA's call to keep them in or out.

I keep wondering why they even still have humans and argue that they exist in the same world, but at the same time, aren't they?

Back