• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Something about Vibrations and Shockwaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
Currently, the Vibration Manipulation page says Note that this does not apply to characters who can create shockwaves through brute force, but have this ability as a special power or technique

I think it should be changed to characters who can't create and employ them in a meaningful way, as the idea of "technique" is a bit vague and likely excludes those who could, can or have showed the ability to use them in some way (either for combat or else), although not consistently, without naming the attack or else.

Specifiying the shockwaves need to be used in a meaningful way would exclude those who can just make the ground shake with force, generate random shockwaves with their punches (aka everyone with high striking strength) or never did it in some particular form, which I believe was the initial reason that "not-a-note" was made for.

Last edited:
Specifiying the shockwaves need to be used in a meaningful way would exclude those who can just make the ground shake with force (aka everyone with high striking strength) or never did it in some particular form, which I believe was the initial reason that "not-a-note" was made for.
I got a question for this section

image0.gif

image0.gif

I have these listed as minor Vibration Manipulation, but are you saying these wouldn’t even qualify for minor?

Not all heavy characters Shake the ground like this. Even heavier characters than Meta Robotnik.

I think it is fine if Eggman/the robot purposedly used it to make Sonic sink, my main purpose is separate shockwaves and vibrations that are caused as side-effects, from those used to achieve a specific result.

That's an example of something I wouldn't count, as the shockwave is a byproduct if the blast.
But someone who uses such byproducts in a creative, useful or even focused and/or specific way should have it.

So.......generated shockwave through punch like Dragon Ball characters or Saitama will not qualify for shockwave generation anymore???

They don't count currently, because the page excludes shockwaves generated by pure force.

With my proposal, punching the air to create a shockwave projectile or wave would be allowed, similarly to Hulk's thunderclap.
What wouldn't qualify is just punching the ground or a surface, creating a shockwave as a side effect that just spreads in a not-meaningful way.
If you punch the floor and create a quake or shockwave to raise the ground, make the opponent trip and else is a meaningful way to create and use shockwaves.
Basically there has to be a purpose, use of effect of some sort behind the shockwave you create.

Well, they punch the air or rather. Dragon Ball character use Kiai to bend the air, creating air pressure thus generating shockwave. Saitama i think he use pure punch (which what he did all the time)

They don't count currently, because the page excludes shockwaves generated by pure force.

With my proposal, punching the air to create a shockwave projectile or wave would be allowed, similarly to Hulk's thunderclap.
What wouldn't qualify is just punching the ground or a surface, creating a shockwave as a side effect that just spreads in a not-meaningful way.
If you punch the floor and create a quake or shockwave to raise the ground, make the opponent trip and else is a meaningful way to create and use shockwaves.
Basically there has to be a purpose, use of effect of some sort behind the shockwave you create.
But I assume shit like Kiai is still applicable for Shockwave generation? Since we have been shown multiple times that they can literally make shockwaves with just fist punching the air, or IIRC even with their eyes.

But I assume shit like Kiai is still applicable for Shockwave generation? Since we have been shown multiple times that they can literally make shockwaves with just fist punching the air, or IIRC even with their eyes.
Yes, that's a specific application of the ability, not just a side effect of something else.

@Antvasima @AKM sama @DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu
What do you think of this?

This seems to make sense to me, but I am not the best person to ask.

Specifiying the shockwaves need to be used in a meaningful way would exclude those who can just make the ground shake with force, generate random shockwaves with their punches (aka everyone with high striking strength) or never did it in some particular form, which I believe was the initial reason that "not-a-note" was made for.
I am not sure if that's the best wording. One could argue (and believe me people will) that generating a random shockwave as a side effect of a punch that can make a ground shake is meaningful enough. I am neutral on this.

What about: characters who can't create and employ them in a way that differs from just being a side-effect of their attacks, with no specific function

I think the OP is fair. Using vibrations for a specific purpose should qualify as vibration manip, accidentally making them by right of hitting something hard probably shouldn't.

I think that Bambu's take on this makes sense.

As long as he uses said shockwaves to accomplish something specific, then it's good.
The point is to draw a line between those who can use shockwaves for a specific purpose, instead of just causing them as a byproduct of raw strength and not doing anything with them.

Alright that mean if someone intentionally create shockwave to attack or for other purpose is listed as legit.

But someone accidently create it as byproduct of something will be listed as not legit

So have we reached enough of a conclusion here then?

Okay. You can probably apply what has been accepted here in that case SamanPatou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back