• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some evidence for Force Lightning (Canon) being real lightning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soldier_Blue

VS Battles
Retired
Spoiler warning for the novel Dark Disciple.

Putting this on the Questions and Answers board instead of Content Revision.

Anyway… I was wondering if the stuff below is evidence enough to consider Force Lightning natural.

Darth Senate's (Palpatine) Force Lightning conducted throughout a ship:

Engines exploded into flame and spit smoke. His Master raised his hands, forming one into a claw emitting jagged bolts of Force lightning that connected him for a moment to the ship. Vader imagined the interior of the craft lit up with the bolts of his Master's power, the pilots screaming and writhing in pain as the dark side seared their flesh. The Emperor clenched his other hand, taking a mental hold on the ship with the Force. Vader, too, lifted a hand and reached out with the Force toward the other ship.

~ Lords of the Sith

The effects of Dooku's Force Lightning:

[Link to Wikipedia article on lightning injuries]

Violently, she shoved Vos away, putting the Force into the movement so powerfully that he was hurled across the room. As he struck the wall, he heard a terrifyingly familiar sound: the sizzle and crackle of Force lightning.

Dooku stood, his teeth bared in a savage snarl of victory. Ventress was caught in the most violent bolts of Force lightning Vos had ever seen. They danced and crackled about her hungrily, almost like living creatures. Her body spasmed and her face contorted into a mask of absolute agony. Blood trickled from her ears, eyes, and nose.

"Asajj!" Vos cried, leaping between Ventress and Dooku. He activated his lightsaber, deflecting the Force lightning back onto Dooku. The count's eyes widened in comprehension a split second before his own weapon turned on him, disloyal, as things of the dark always were. Dooku was flung back and lay on the ground, screaming and trembling, then lying still as the bolts faded.

Ventress lay unmoving on the floor. Her clothes-and her body itself-emitted wisps of smoke. "No," Vos moaned. She was breathing, but her pulse was thready and she was still, so terribly still. "Asajj...no...no...!"

Vos simply nodded. He might still be executed. He would certainly be taken back to the Council in chains. But none of that mattered. Everything that mattered was here, right before him. He felt raw in this moment - cracked open and laid bare. His senses were heightened and he was almost painfully aware of everything: the smell of blood and scorched flesh; the steady slip of tears down his angular cheekbones, and their salty taste; the coppery tang of blood and fear in his mouth. He saw that strange patterns now decorated Ventress's bone-white skin; traces of darker flesh that looked like lightning bolts. The Force lightning had marked her for its own.

~ Dark Disciple

^ Dooku's Force Lightning causes her blood to boil and her blood vessels to burst as do real life lightning strikes. And it causes marks on her body called "Lichtenberg figures" which are also seen with real life lightning strike victims. His Force Lighting also singes her clothes and her flesh.

These figures are described again later on in the novel:

Asajj Ventress's face was tranquil. Her hair had been washed and combed. Her arms, their injuries repaired, had been folded over her midsection. They still bore the dark tracings of the Force lightning that had claimed her life, but the marks were oddly beautiful, spidery and graceful.

~ Dark Disciple

^ This was days later when Quinlan Vos and Obi-Wan Kenobi were performing the last rites of Ventress. Dooku's Force Lightning leaves long term marks on her body. Clearly Lichtenberg figures. These are known to persist on the body for days.

~ OwO ~

So what do you people think?

Force was a natural cosmic wasn't it? I thought it was real lightning for a long time.

Gargoyle One said:
Force was a natural cosmic wasn't it? I thought it was real lightning for a long time.
The question persisted when it came to Disney canon. I made this blog after Shadow Senpai brought up during a conversation of ours.

Anyway, if Force Lightning can be considered real lightning in Canon, then there are a couple of feats that might result in MHS to MHS+ combat speed ratings for pretty much anyone on the level of a full fledged Jedi Knight and above.

Js250476 said:
I'd Imagine a ton of Jedi have reacted to Force lightning before
There's a specific feat where Dooku is being chased by Anakin, Dooku fires his Force Lightning, Anakin reaches down to his belt and then brings his lightsaber up to block all in one swift motion.

Might be a solid MHS to MHS+ combat speed feat. Now I just need to track down that episode and that clip in particular.

Edit: Found the video OwO

MrKingOfNegativity said:
Canon SW about to get the speed boost of its life?
They'll still retain the Subsonic running speed as there are at least three running feats at this level. If that feat I mentioned above is legit, then it might result in a Combat Speed boost.

That should be good. Definitely understand the running speed staying the same, but Combat Speed getting upped for (basically) the entire cast would be great.

All you need to do is find someone that is 8-C (was it?) getting hurt by the force lightning and BAM. Real lightning.

They seem to be scaled from much better feats if that's the case.

Also, that doesn't have a Wayback Machine backup, so thanks for helping me with the blog, i guess.

A shame the ROTS novelization isn't canon anymore cause I remember Anakin dodged fork bolts of lightning in it

Js250476 said:
A shame the ROTS novelization isn't canon anymore cause I remember Anakin dodged fork bolts of lightning in it
Yeah. Had some pretty impressive feats. Relativistic+ MagnaGuards, Mach 14000 Kenobi, Mach 12000 to 30000 Anakin & Dooku, Grievous moving a good distance at such speed that it seemed as though he teleported, Windu and Sidious moving at such speeds that even Anakin (one of the fastest Jedi of the era) couldn't keep up.

Yeah I think it's pretty much impossible to call Relativistic to FTL Jedi in Legends an outlier with all the feats I've seen from it

TeenAngel101 said:
Do you think you can find and do the one where Mace Windu blocks Sidious' lightning in Revenge of the Sith? That seems like the most impressive one.
If that yields MHS+ results, I think we should apply that only to the top tiers:

Sidious, Windu, Yoda (Obviously)

Snoke (hinted to be more powerful than Sidious)

Sequel trilogy Luke (At least as powerful as or more so than Snoke)

Everyone else would get MHS based on the Kenobi and Dooku MHS calc from the Attack of the Clones film.

If it yields only MHS results, well at least it'd provide extra consistency.

Holy crap OwO

I was expecting less than half that and like baseline MHS+ only. So this confirms MHS+ top tiers at least.

I'll make a revision thread on the weekend as promised. Will wait till I and many others have seen last Jedi. Want to confirm some rumours of Snoke and see where Luke stands as of 34 ABY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back