• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Small GTA V Durability Downgrade

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
For some reason Trevor Philips, and the other GTA V protagonists by default, have hidden 9-B+ scaling in their profile.

His Durability section states . Can tank multiple head-on collisions into walls with cars and trucks going in excess of 50 mph [With semi-trucks weighing in at 36280 kg, a speed of 50 mph would wield 9.06296 megajoules]

Without even accounting how "tank multiple head-on collisions" is sorta wrong given how much damage they do and how little it takes for you to die from them in the games, those other numbers are completely randomic and arbitrary, probably thrown in there just to make him look more impressive.
Also, even if they were legit, Surface Area is a thing and a pletora of other oddities related to car incindents exist, which means Trevor isn't going to withstand the full energy of the truck either way.

So yeah, the rest is good, but those numbers have to go and the "tank" should be replaced to a more fitting "survive" or such.

I think the characters can survive having a car hit them, but being driven into a wall is more or less always treated as fatal isn't it?

It depends, but the main point is that they don't take all the energy of a speeding truck because of surface area and the unpredictable movements of a ragdolled body, let alone that those numbers are pulled out of a hat without reason.

Them surviving some car impacts would remain as a feat, but the hype would be toned down.

I mean, if the GTA character was slammed into a wall by the truck, wouldn't the entire KE of the Truck scale to the character's durability?

No, because the surface of their body is smaller than the trucks, and so they withstand only a fraction of its force.

I didn't know that, but are we sure that happens that way in GTA V and with trucks of that way going at that speed? On YT I only find video of people being ran over in a generic way, nothing involing wall slams or such with big trucks.

And the profile doesn't provide any evidence, it's up to whoever wrote that to prove a positive, and without clear evidences this specific thing with those specific vehicles and speed actually happens, such a specific notion has to be removed.

Yeah, this should go.

In fact, I won't talk too much about this to not derail the thread, but GTA ought to be revised someday. I've asked a while ago if cutscene stuff takes precedence over gameplay, and it seems like it. With that being true, GTA characters have the somewhat rare case of actually having better gameplay feats than in cutscenes. Same would apply to Red Dead Redemption up to a point, really.

We've got plenty of agreement and the feat itself is practically flawed and groundless, unless someone can actually prove the all truck-slam-into-wall can actually occur, and so I will go on and apply the changes.

Then, if someone ever finds the evidence, be my guest, but until then this can't stay on profiles.
Also, as Eliminator says, cutscenes take precedence over gameplay, so further revisions could invalidate this supposed feat even more, especially because the current profile makes them basically bulletproof, while iirc in cutscenes even standard pistols are pretty deadly.

Precisely, I've finished most GTA games at least once (V twice, SA, Vice City & Stories multiple times) and played extensively the online mode of V. I'm willing to rewatch all cutscenes and review my old RTs on GTA for a potential revision (but not now, I'm busy with the last few things of uni and some other revisions), but I remember vividly that vehicle collisions and gunfire are treated way, WAY more seriously in cutscenes than in gameplay.

But I'll wait to do so in another thread.

I didn't know that, but are we sure that happens that way in GTA V and with trucks of that way going at that speed? On YT I only find video of people being ran over in a generic way, nothing involing wall slams or such with big trucks.
Pretty hard to do since the only way you do that is to try and shoot at them while being near a wall and hope they don't go top speed.

Also yeah they shouldn't be scaling to Wall level+, they survive stuff much lower than that, still Wall level but nowhere near as high as it is right now.

If they go highway speed, they're kaput. Lower than that tho, they survive.

Precisely, I've finished most GTA games at least once (V twice, SA, Vice City & Stories multiple times) and played extensively the online mode of V. I'm willing to rewatch all cutscenes and review my old RTs on GTA for a potential revision (but not now, I'm busy with the last few things of uni and some other revisions), but I remember vividly that vehicle collisions and gunfire are treated way, WAY more seriously in cutscenes than in gameplay.

But I'll wait to do so in another thread.
Apparently in GTA Online you can survive shots from the Heavy Sniper barely (Including explosive variants but I need some confirmation on this), but as you level up high enough, it only takes out half of your health.

And Trevor getting hit by cars increases his Rage Meter too.

But yeah, gist of it is, their Wall level rating should be way lower than the aforementioned 70 mph end, possibly even below the 50 mph rating, as even if you're not rammed into a wall or run over and crushed, speeds higher than 40-50 mph in the car speedometers themselves can prove costly, 60-70 and you're dead.

Apparently in GTA Online you can survive shots from the Heavy Sniper barely (Including explosive variants but I need some confirmation on this), but as you level up high enough, it only takes out half of your health.

And Trevor getting hit by cars increases his Rage Meter too.
Tbf this sound like complete game mechanics ngl.

The changes have already been applied and I appreciate the further inputs.
I ask everyone to check the new description of Trevor's durability and tell me if it works as a temporary solution while we wait for future CRTs.

Back