• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Small Aditions to Chief (Part 1... hopefully)

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Creating a blog about this, very WIP at the moment)

Re-done Chief's experience:

Intelligence: As Doctor Catherine Halsey's favorite Spartan, John showed exceptional promise as a leader and soldier even at an early age. A natural leader, he rallied his fellow cadets to heavily injure and incapacitate a group of armed and trained UNSC Marines and steal their Pelican dropship at the age of eight. Since then, John has been trained in all forms of military warfare, being an expert in hand-to-hand combat, firearms usage, stealth tactics, and the operation of any number of military vehicles, being able to kill two elite ODSTs and maim three more when he was just fourteen years old. By the time of the Covenant-Human War, John was a decorated soldier who could turn the tides of battle almost single-handedly, leading UNSC forces to rout entire battalions of Covenant forces, being a key figure who was feared as "The Demon" by his opponents. In addition, he gained extensive experience in the usage of Covenant and Promethean weaponry and machinery, oftentimes outdoing the original owners' in their ability to use said weaponry, managing to defeat the Didact's forces despite the fact that the Prometheans had spent thousands of years subjugating other civilizations.

(Suggested by Reppuzan)

I was going to edit It by the get go but for the best I prefer to do a small revision.

Well, this paragraph looks alright, but the grammar needs to be fixed. It looks like a big run-on sentence rather than a paragraph. Additionally, I noticed some wordings that seem repetitive and other details that seem TMI'ish. I prefer to just add a few elaborations to the current paragraph.

Intelligence: At least Gifted, Spartans are naturally born with gifted minds that match their abnormal size and strength. John is an excellent military tactician, master marksman, and a very capable hand to hand combat fighter. He is adept with nearly every weapon or vehicle he finds and has performed great victories even when the odds were against him. He has experience fighting multiple foes who's strength and equipment were comparable and even superior to his own; including the Flood and various Covenant and Forerunner troops. Said forces respectively possess the abilities to infect biological life forms and hack technology, cloaking devises, sniping weapons, teleporters, and weapons powerful enough destroy him in one hit. The Prometheans in this case have thousands of years of experience, and John was still able to outsmart them on numerous occasions. Despite there being instances where he appears reckless at times, he seems well aware that luck is almost always on his side. His AI, Cortana, possesses Super-Genius level computer hacking and calculations skills. She is capable of performing billions of calculations in the amount of time it takes most humans to finish a sentence as well as gathering and sharing information of John's enemies. Cortana has also been able to hack a Forerunner suit, ultimately leading to the defeat of Ur-Didact; a Forerunner god with over one-hundred thousand years of combat experience.

Some parts seems more a kind to the summary, I prefered to put feats rather than summarise them, mostly because they sound more impressive, thats way I remarked the massively higher, we cannot scale Chief to the Ur-Didact in any way, form or shape.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Cortana has also been able to hack a Forerunner suit, ultimately leading to the defeat of Ur-Didact; a Forerunner god with over one-hundred thousand years of combat experience.
Also this is a huge outlier, not even Flood was able to hack Forerunner Tech. even after they merged with Slipstream-Space and infected their Ships.

Well, Fan of RPGs, who sadly left the wiki, did say that Forerunner should have a weakness regarding that they are basically defeated if someone manages to hack them. Also, it's important to note that Cortana is actually the one who did all the work, no one's suggesting John scales; just Cortana. If cortana were to get her own profile, I could remove that part from John's profile, but for now, we really shouldn't be giving Ur-Didact NLF's.

Also, summaries are generally prefered over listing every feat; because it's more professional and less redundant. There also have to be some forms of limitations listed to prevent users from trying to use those excuses as a source of NLF.

Of course they can get hacked, I mean, every machine has that weakness to a point, but the probably mentions hacking their suits, wich only Ancient Humanity did but with proper Tech. so Cortana isn't capable of hacking the Didact's armor, that would be more like an Outlier.

If we get enough feedback over wich way is better, but I think that summarizing should be okay, I would prefer to add the Massively higher in terms of Combat Experience If any gets accepted.

Something like:

Intelligence: At least Gifted, Spartans are naturally born with gifted minds that match their abnormal size and strength. Massively higher in terms of Combat Experience, John is adept with nearly every weapon or vehicle he finds and has performed great victories even when the odds were against him. He has experience fighting multiple foes who's strength and equipment were comparable and even superior to his own; including the Flood and various Covenant and Forerunner troops. Said forces respectively possess the abilities to infect biological life forms and hack technology, cloaking devises, sniping weapons, teleporters, and weapons powerful enough destroy him in one hit. Has destroyed various Scarabs at the same time with Guerrilla Tactics, The Prometheans have thousands of years of experience fighting across the Galaxy, and John was still able to outsmart them on numerous occasions. His AI companion, Cortana, possesses Super-Genius level computer hacking and calculations skills. She is capable of performing billions of calculations in the amount of time it takes most humans to finish a sentence, able to use Space-ships heavy weaponry with amazing accuracy while traveling at massive speeds as well as gathering and sharing information of John's enemies, analyze them, etc....

Yeah, that's another thing. Massively Higher in terms of combat experience just seems like an unnecessary thing to have. Also, Cortana is very heavily implied to be the most advanced computer humans have ever had. Why would Ancient humans have better technology than the futuristic parts? That just makes like zero sense to me; I know certain verses have strange things like that happening, but Halo isn't exactly a fantasy verse or anything like that. The author often even implies that Cortana is the most intelligent character in the series; even more so than the Forerunners. Keep in mind that she was the main villain of Halo 5 who bosses around the Warden Eternals and the Promethean Lancer Knights; which are more advanced than the Prometheans from Halo 4; followed by Ur-Didact.

Saying likely higher in combat might be alright, but Massively Higher is a bit of a stretch. Anyway, Gifted is a very high level of intelligence that's right between High and Genius level. Smart as John is, he doesn't seem quite the level as Solid Snake or Samus Aran in terms of combat intelligence. Snake has an IQ of 180; which is smarter than Albert Einstein, solely out of combat/stealth skills; no proof is seen for John. Also, while John is a skilled flanker, he frequently rushes into combat recklessly and his primary achievements were luck based.

So while John is a master tactician, he's not necessarily a mind reader who instantly knows the pressure points of every weapons or armor he sees like Snake or Samus are. And in Samus's case, she's also smart enough to build ships from scratch and use them for combat. So, I don't think John is quite Genius level, but he is close. Cortana on the other hand is Super Genius.

The "Massively Higher" (Wich I think would be more proper to be just higher) comes from combat experience, the Gifted comes from his Teenager period on the UNSC Training:

Intelligence: At least Gifted, Spartans are naturally born with gifted minds that match their abnormal size and strength. Higher in terms of Combat Experience, John is adept with nearly every weapon or vehicle he finds and has performed great victories even when the odds were against him. He has experience fighting multiple foes who's strength and equipment were comparable and even superior to his own; including the Flood and various Covenant and Forerunner troops. Said forces respectively possess the abilities to infect biological life forms and hack technology, cloaking devises, sniping weapons, teleporters, and weapons powerful enough destroy him in one hit. Has destroyed various Scarabs at the same time with Guerrilla Tactics, The Prometheans have thousands of years of experience fighting across the Galaxy, and John was still able to outsmart them on numerous occasions. His AI companion, Cortana, possesses Super-Genius level computer hacking and calculations skills. She is capable of performing billions of calculations in the amount of time it takes most humans to finish a sentence, able to use Space-ships heavy weaponry with amazing accuracy while traveling at massive speeds as well as gathering and sharing information of John's enemies, analyze them, etc....

Wouldn't it just be better to describe John's abilities in paragraph form as a cohesive narrative?

As Doctor Catherine Halsey's favorite Spartan, John showed exceptional promise as a leader and soldier even at an early age. A natural leader, he rallied his fellow cadets to heavily injure and incapacitate a group of armed and trained UNSC Marines and steal their Pelican dropship at the age of eight. Since then, John has been trained in all forms of military warfare, being an expert in hand-to-hand combat, firearms usage, stealth tactics, and the operation of any number of military vehicles, being able to kill two elite ODSTs and maim three more when he was just fourteen years old. By the time of the Covenant-Human War, John was a decorated soldier who could turn the tides of battle almost single-handedly, leading UNSC forces to rout entire battalions of Covenant forces, being a key figure who was feared as "The Demon" by his opponents. In addition, he gained extensive experience in the usage of Covenant and Promethean weaponry and machinery, oftentimes outdoing the original owners' in their ability to use said weaponry, managing to defeat the Didact's forces despite the fact that the Prometheans had spent thousands of years subjugating other civilizations.

Cortana should not be included in his intelligence since she's a separate entity.

The problem is that It doesnt show his full potential, like the fact he used Guerrilla Tactics, fought enemies with far more abilities and power, etc... This is the most impressive thing about Chief thats why I made the tread, what you wrote looks like something that would go on the summary to be honest.

(Saying that he is a condecorate Soldier and that he fought the Prometheans doesnt sound as impresive as having all of the UNSC condecoration and fighting enemies that have fought for 100K Years across the Galaxy.)

I'm on board with Master Chief's crazy combat expertise being listen in his profile. But we have to consider that the guy has plot armor that rivals the likes of Ben T and The Doctor. He's survived situations that he logically shouldn't have no matter how skilled he was.

The only plot moment I remember is him going toe to toe against the Didact alongside Blue Team.

And probably fighting against the Warden Eternals.

@Karmod

We don't have to mention each and every little feat. Yes, he's used guerilla tactics, and I already mentioned that he's been trained in stealth tactics. The Intelligence section is meant to provide a good understanding of his basic intelligence level, and I feel that what I've written above does that.

I don't know what "condecoration" means.

I want scans on the 100K Years thing because that sounds like wank and the Halo profiles in general need a massive overhaul.

I have no real problems with the suggested additions to his intellect, curiously what else are you planning to add to Chief's page.

@Reppuzan

The games and lore are never clear on what the Prometheans actually are. And more often than not, they're presented as mindless drones and nothing more. The only Promethean who actually displays inteligence even marginally on that scale is the Warden Eternal.

Its not about having every feat, but the fact that he has fought against enemies with superior tech., more abilities, etc...

Condecorations, like those medals given by the military for acomplishing a certain task.

They were first seen in 100,000 BCE and have been fighting for massive periods of time before that time (When the Didact created them), the timeline in Halo isnt the same one as ours (Like the existance of Christ, the Big Bamg, etc... But anything after the Halo pulse, or at least for humanity) http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Promethean_Knight

Oh yeah, I like Rep's suggestion to be honest; Cortana should preferably have her own profile if you want to talk about her intelligence.

Since everyone agrees with Reppuzan I think the changes can be aplied and this can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back