• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Skullgirls LS Downgrade

DimeUhDozen

She/Her
So, I've noticed that the entire verse currently scales to Marie in LS, a Class T feat in which she lifted a building. That's all well and good but...

In the fight against her, Marie can't be grabbed nor can you struggle to escape her own unbreakable grabs. You can't grapple against her, so I don't know why anyone would currently scale to her in LS as it is consistently portrayed as being superior to the main cast.

Agree: Marvel_Champion_07, Armorchompy, Shmooply, Propellus (4)
Disagree:
Neutral: SamanPatou (1)

Last edited:
Isn’t Marie just a… character in the main cast that people can fight against now. Seems like it’d be comparable now.

Isn’t Marie just a… character in the main cast that people can fight against now. Seems like it’d be comparable now.
This is a Marie empowered by just a simple shard of the Skull Heart, not nearly as powerful as her Boss self.

This is the equivalent of a gun character hitting you with bullets in gameplay thus all should be below bullet speed

Marie isnt the only fighting game character you cant grab and do a throw, let alone with unbreakable throws, this is purely gameplay stuff that you cant use as reasons

This is the equivalent of a gun character hitting you with bullets in gameplay thus all should be below bullet speed

Marie isnt the only fighting game character you cant grab and do a throw, let alone with unbreakable throws, this is purely gameplay stuff that you cant use as reasons
If there was any in-game evidence of characters being able to grapple or be comparable to Marie in LS, like say if they were able to break out of Marie's grabs, then it would be different. But it makes it a point to show that if you're gripped by the Skull Heart's power, you're at it's mercy. Unless proven otherwise, down it goes.

Yes it is? Devs went out of their way to make her un-grabbable in those fights. Even if you wanna say it's game mechanics (which it isn't) that still means there's no avenue for actual scaling, unless you can actually find one.

If there was any in-game evidence of characters being able to grapple or be comparable to Marie in LS, like say if they were able to break out of Marie's grabs, then it would be different. But it makes it a point to show that if you're gripped by the Skull Heart's power, you're at it's mercy. Unless proven otherwise, down it goes.
since when gameplay stuff like the example i gave dictates a rating hm, a character being made unable to be grabbed isnt an argument at all, characters in their stories scale to her canonically

Yes it is? Devs went out of their way to make her un-grabbable in those fights. Even if you wanna say it's game mechanics (which it isn't) that still means there's no avenue for actual scaling, unless you can actually find one.
As always you dont know what you talking, its 101 gameplay to make a character not possible to grab, has nothing to do with lifting strength, has something to do with how a final boss is suppose to be made harder to beat gameplay wise

As always you dont know what you talking, its 101 gameplay to make a character not possible to grab, has nothing to do with lifting strength, has something to do with how a final boss is suppose to be made harder to beat gameplay wise
As always you an asshole, mate. Give an actual argument for them scaling in LS rather than attack people or I'm just gonna threadban you.

Name calling insults and threats with power abuse, on which i will report you for as evidenced above if you pull this again

EDIT: as well as lies and false info i attack poeple, when the argument is what it is attacked, bias much?

Come up with a better argument then gameplay of not able to grab the character, also she is playable character with the latest DLC aka, you can grab her like any playable characters in cast, as well as canonically all characters scale to her feats via all endings as canon

Wouldn't this actually solidify the rating, considering the profile states she used a fraction of the Skull Heart's power to lift the building?
Not really. It isn't specified how big of a fraction the Skull Heart's power is used, but considering she was working with a full Skull Heart regardless, it shouldn't be automatically assumed that the tiny shard is capable of the same feat. Especially since now she can be tossed around by the other fighters.

Name calling insults and threats with power abuse, on which i will report you for as evidenced above if you pull this again

EDIT: as well as lies and false info i attack poeple, when the argument is what it is attacked, bias much?
"As always you dont know what you talking" is an attack, guy. But if you think you can report me for warning you to improve your conduct (literally half the job description of a thread mod), keep acting the way you do in every single thread and that you have received warning for already, and see how that goes for you.
as well as canonically all characters scale to her feats via all endings as canon
Could you elaborate? I don't know the verse so if you put together an actual argument it's fairly likely I might agree but just claiming that they do doesn't really mean much to me.

Why we using trailers which just hypes her announcement? We dont have any story mode on her and claiming a shard make her weaker is unfounded,
It's blatantly saying that a shard of the Skull Heart survived and is the cause of Marie retaining some of her powers. A small piece of something should be reasonably weaker than the full product and is further supported that she is now an easier opponent to beat due to being a main cast member now.
Not to mention Black Dahlia lifts her in the webcomic no problem, a prequel to the game and another timeline of the skullgirls multiple timelines
Black Dahlia takes Marie by surprise and stabs her from the back. Not actively restraining her.

Are Marie's abilities also game mechanics too? Should every ability that only exists in gameplay be removed from their profiles as well?

It's blatantly saying that a shard of the Skull Heart survived and is the cause of Marie retaining some of her powers. A small piece of something should be reasonably weaker than the full product and is further supported that she is now an easier opponent to beat due to being a main cast member now.
Unless its openly stated a shard makes her weaker, no

Assuming out of a trailer, when she has no story mode to tell the info on how a skullgirl can survive with the artifact destroyed is a big no, also when skull heart is destroyed, she is shown half torn apart of her skin, like in peacock ending after destroying it or squiggly and so on, yet a shard keeps her alive, when most character slice it or punch it to bits and she is done for, things which would leave a piece too

Irrelevant as she can pull herself out of it, which she didnt do, showing the grabbing thing is literally just a gameplay thing when fighting the boss

Unless its openly stated a shard makes her weaker, no

Assuming out of a trailer, when she has no story mode to tell the info on how a skullgirl can survive with the artifact destroyed is a big no, also when skull heart is destroyed, she is shown half torn apart of her skin, like in peacock ending after destroying it or squiggly and so on, yet a shard keeps her alive, when most character slice it or punch it to bits and she is done for, things which would leave a piece too
But it's... saying that... directly? What? Even if that made sense, by your own logic, you're also applying knowledge from the trailer to your own argument so...

???
Irrelevant as she can pull herself out of it, which she didnt do, showing the grabbing thing is literally just a gameplay thing when fighting the boss
Marie was severely weakened by being stabbed through the chest and doubling that, it was a surprise attack. We see her actively writhing in pain so she's not at her 100% regardless until after her big rage power boost.

Are Marie's abilities also game mechanics too? Should every ability that only exists in gameplay be removed from their profiles as well?
Let me scale Dan Hibiki from street fighter to Zangief then, cuz in the game he can grab him, despite latter has superior lifting

Difference between a game mechanic and game abilities

But it's... saying that... directly? What? Even if that made sense, by your own logic, you're also applying knowledge from the trailer to your own argument so...
Im not going out of a trailer, out of assumptions with no proof in canon she is weaker from that, let alone that she goes on a shard, yet its shown against that in actual stories on the idea shard keeps her alive
???

Marie was severely weakened by being stabbed through the chest and doubling that, it was a surprise attack.
A stab weakening.....no, wanna know an actual time she was weakened? When in the mobile she gets blasted and actually has big injuries

We see her actively writhing in pain so she's not at her 100% regardless until after her big rage power boost.
what does being in pain has to do with this....anybody who gets stabbed will be in pain, she gets back up not long after more mad, what are those headcanony arguments?

This argument is literally the everyone vs gun users thus below bullet speed, which is gameplay

Why dont you scale fodders like Dan to Zangief cuz he can be thrown by former or downscale Mishimas cuz they cant grab Azazel or Nancy in game

You dont see how faulty is using gameplay like this?

I'm honestly not quite sure tbh.

The problem here lies more in the fact we have no reliables ways to assume the cast is comparable to her in LS, while possessing the same or still enough strength to defeat her.

Sometimes with FG you can assume muscles are the same for everyone, but yet there are notable exceptions for characters who can lift more.
Even in Skullgirls iirc Cerebella is portrayed as quite stronger than most physically and in her ending she crushes Ms. Fortune to nothing even without using the power of the Skull Heart.

Now, aside from the Skull Heart, there's no UES in the verse to my knowledge, though admittedly I lack quite a chunk of lore, since I'm pretty much stuck to the time the game had stopped getting updates for awhile.

I believe the trailer for playable Marie could be trustworthy, even to some extent? Is she becoming playable and, if yes, will she have a story mode too to gauge better her power post-survival?
Also, afaik regardless of the ending (I don't know if any was made canon) she always loses the Skull Heart, so shouldn't it be the default assumption that she doesn't have its full power anymore?

Last edited:
Let me scale Dan Hibiki from street fighter to Zangief then, cuz in the game he can grab him, despite latter has superior lifting

Difference between a game mechanic and game abilities
I don't think this is a good example. You can use Zangief or Dan to defeat each other in gameplay, but you literally cannot even overpower Marie's grabs, and she's scripted to do this according to OP

I'm a bit confused here as there aren't any scans provided that demonstrates the superiority

Back