• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Skill Revisions (Standards Change)

Hello all. I am back, as you can see, and I have good news!

After taking some time to put things together, bang a few rocks against each other, and change some things in my life, I am no longer burnt out on the topic of battleboarding. Hurray!

But, I did make a bit of a revision for the wiki while I was away. Simply put, how we consider skill is atrocious, and I decided to attempt to fix that.

I will state: This is not a wiki wide revision, this is much closer to a revision of considerations and standards in debate. At most, I would request a specific page denoting what should qualify as skill, but I can understand if this is not the highest priority. So, without further ado, let's begin:

1. Skill does not grant hax outside of a select few, and therefore hax that is attributed to skill cannot be used as a skill feat
  • In the real world, martial skill can only sharpen the mind and body, not create reality bending effects. As we use the real world as a basis for our abilities section, we cannot in good faith say that “skill based” reality warping can be considered a skill feat. This is because there is no logical or established amount of skill that would be required to do that, both in the real world and in fiction. We cannot scale hardcore reality breaking hax such as Fate Manip, Probability Manip, etc to any form of skill because there is no established baseline level of skill to perform such an action.
    Simply put, we cannot be certain what level of skill is needed to perform these hax, and thus they should be considered non-feats. There is no metric in which to judge them, meaning they are an arbitrary and worthless manner of measuring martial or combat prowess. This is compounded by the fact that these people, who are often forced into the highest echelons of skill, have showing of them being downright idiotic in actual combat, making mistakes in both martial fights and widescale battle that an amatuer fighter would effortlessly take advantage of.
    Some might say that such a level is established in-verse, and that it would allow such a feat of hax to count as skill. I whole-heartedly, vehemently disagree. This, at most, would establish the skill needed to do so in that verse exclusively.
  • Changes made: Only a small list of hax will be considered a skill feat if attributed to skill without explicit proof and explanation. This list is as follows:
    • Fully count: Analytical Prediction, Stealth Mastery, Peak Human Condition, Weapon Mastery, Martial Arts, Acrobatics, Information Analysis, Pressure Points, and Social Influencing, shall be considered as fully qualifiable for skill feat scaling
    • Partial Credit: Durability Negation, Attack Reflection, “Natural” Corruption (via words), Enhanced Senses, and Animal Manipulation shall be considered for limited scaling if how they are used is comparable to the real world skills.
      • Specifically, Enhanced Senses must be not supernaturally strong. Training your senses can make you more attuned and easily capable of detecting things, but not to the point of other animals. Durability Negation can be achieved minorly by targeting weak points, however this will not close a large gap, and would only really counter armor with said weak points.
    • Instinctive Reaction is in an awkward space. While it is possible for master martial artists to enter a state of mind similar to IR, this is… not fully the case. IR predicates itself on not having to think to react to an attack or stimuli, whereas the oft brought up IRL Instinctive Reaction still requires one to think to use, it just becomes second nature. Debate is needed for this to qualify.
    • Preparation is also in a strange space. It is truthful to say that anyone who knows and actively makes perfect preparations given limited knowledge on an opponent is a skilled tactician. However, this would not count towards martial skill. In fact, if a martial fighter spends large amounts of time actively studying and reading into someone else's skill and method of fighting, it is a very low level skill feat. Anyone can counter a fighter if they spend weeks developing the perfect way to counter them, but they will only be able to counter that specific fighter, or people who fight similarly enough to them that they can extrapolate.
    • Things that do not count as skill feats: Any form of hax other than the ones listed above.
  • Note: Usage of hax in a way that is skillful, such as Josuke’s usage of Crazy Diamond’s restorative abilities to attack Kira at range, or characters using their own abilities to counter someone in creative ways, should be considered a skill feat. However, using an ability to counter someone with large amounts of planning is preparation and should reduce how skilled the user is considered. Anyone can counter a single throw in Judo if they watch it be done a hundred times, but knowing the counters to all throws and being able to perfectly perform them without much warning is skill.
2. Skill cannot close a gap larger than 3x, because that is the point where most trained martial artists would consider a fight unbeatable. The idea that skill can magically cross over 7.5x AP gap is nonsensical.
  • I have absolutely no idea how this hasn’t been torn to shreds already, but the mindset is present in the community enough to bother me and others.
    I will be perfectly transparent and blunt. The idea that someone can defeat a person who can oneshot and effortlessly blitz them, via skill? Absolutely, transparently wank.
    In both real and fictional fights, people who are over 3x as strong as someone, at the same speed, can casually overpower them to an almost comical degree. On the other end of the spectrum, the high end for a human punch is 32 MPH. Reacting to a punch thrown at 96 MPH would be like trying to react to a car at full speed. You literally cannot react fast enough because your neurons do not fire fast enough, muscles do not contract fast enough, to be safe from the blow. The best you can do is predict them, and even that becomes too hard to do without seeing something like it coming. In the terms of a fight, this would mean the opponent would have to telegraph their move so much even the greatest novice could see what they were doing, and then not react to the person who is 3x slower than them when they do strike.
    • So, what does this mean? For starters, any skill feat that is predicated on fighting people faster and stronger than a character? Discounted. If the range is enough that it isn’t a one shot, or the character has regen, it can be considered an endurance feat for surviving such a tilted battle, but it does not increase their skill.
    • Battling and army is an endurance feat more than it is a skill feat. While it is true that it requires skill to fight large groups of people, that skill is largely limited to preventing yourself from being surrounded or ambushed.
      The only skill granted by a fight against a much larger group is the skill needed to prevent yourself from being surrounded, which would require constant awareness and analysis of the battle while you fight. If one is surrounded and manages to fight off the attackers successfully, that does not count as skill. Either the attackers are too idiotic to actually attack from multiple angles at the same or similar times, which reduces any skill that might be needed to fight them off, or the victim is somehow able to fight them off all at once, which is a speed feat and not a skill feat, as no manner of skill can allow you to block or parry three strikes from three different angles at once. Should one be surrounded by fighters who are equal to them and still manage to survive, this can be chalked up to Plot Induced Stupidity on the part of the attackers.
3. Skill and Knowledge =/=. Knowledge is knowing how to do something. Skill is the ability to apply that to situations successfully. Should someone "know every fighting style on earth" it does not make them a better fighter, much the same as someone who knows every story on earth is not a necessarily great writer.
  • At first, these two traits seem completely tied, and that having one would mean an abundance of the other. However, Knowledge is the trait of knowing (wow go figure) concepts and information via books, media, teaching, etc. Skill, on the other hand, is the ability to actually apply such knowledge in a real situation. In terms of a battle, knowledge is knowing a move, an ability, or an attack, and skill is the ability to use said attack, ability, or move to its maximum effectiveness given the situation at hand.
  • For a real life example of this, a low-level judo practitioner might know just as many throws as a black belt, but the black belt will be able to perform said throws better, and will use said throws whenever it is the most effective.
    Another example is the difference between an experienced fighter and a trained one. A fighter who relies on their experience will be more skilled than a trained one, assuming they have the same amount of training/experience, relatively. This is because a trained fighter might lack the needed skill to actually use their training properly, but an experienced fighter will not. This is also why sparring is a practice in martial arts, as it is a safe and controlled way to gain experience, and teaches a fighter how to react and actually use their training.
  • What does this mean for skill on this site?
    • Firstly: any feat of knowledge, such as knowing your opponents next move by studying their previous ones, is not a skill feat if the fight is still a pitched battle. It is a preparation and knowledge feat, and an intelligence one, but it is not something that would be especially skillful to pull off with enough study and time spent preparing. If a fighter spends weeks preparing to fight someone by actively studying their moves and abilities, and developing counters to them, and yet still has to fight a pitched battle against said opponent, they are not skilled. A skilled person, given the same time, would not struggle in the fight, and would actively adapt to the opponent.
      • For example, say someone is equal to a person in power and speed. Now, say that person studies the other rigorously, day and night, to prepare for an upcoming battle against them, and eventually learns how to perfectly counter their every move because they have learned the opponents patterns. What if that opponent changes patterns, adapts to their opponent, or learns of this and shifts strategy? If the studier is left fighting for their life because of this, they are not skilled, as they could not adapt to the change in dynamics. Skill is not about knowing how to fight your opponent in particular, it is about knowing how to adapt and fight any opponent that comes your way, based on your training and experience.
    • Secondly: Feats of “knowing” martial arts are no longer to be counted as skill feats unless explicitly demonstrated.
      • This means that any person who is stated to have “mastered every martial art” or people who “know every form of swordplay” are no longer able to use those as feats.
        Not only is this explicitly impossible unless they are an unnatural prodigy and well into their sixties, it is also never, ever demonstrated within said series, and the person is often shown making mistakes such a master would never make in their life.
        • If you doubt the time needed to learn said, it takes about 10,000 hours to achieve what is called mastery of chess. Extrapolating to a normal martial art, and assuming one practices for 3 hours a day, that would mean it requires 9 years of training to fully master one. Assuming one only masters the major martial arts, that would require upwards of 60 years of training. For swordplay, this number is similar, but lower due to the limited number of actual sword martial arts.
      • To quote Aristotle: “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”
4. Skill is outright inferior to reality warping on all levels, and hax granted via skill cannot and will never be able to surpass resistance to reality warping hax, unless that skill warps reality itself, which is no longer skill, and is merely reality warping under a different name.
  • I have no idea how this was even allowed to become an idea.
  • This is going to be short, simple, and blunt: Any form of reality warping involves fundamentally breaking or bending the rules of the world to your liking. Resisting this means one can resist the world being changed according to another's will, or by a supernatural power that does the same. An ability, like skill, that works within the bounds of reality, will not work on them, as they can resist reality itself changing. The only exception to this would be resistance via nullification of power sources, but that is uncommon, and does not excuse the idea that hax via “skill” can surpass hax resistance via being from a different source. No, it cannot, because skill works within reality. Reality Warping and other hax often works via bending, distorting, or outright breaking reality’s rules. Therefore, it is infinitely more potent.
5. Being the platonic concept of war would logically make you more skilled than any man who is limited to human knowledge and supernatural ability.
  • This is actually an interesting thing. We don’t consider someone being the concept of war and battle a skill feat, but consider blocking AoE flames one, despite doing so with a sword being impossible? We ignore statements about how these individuals are automatically masters of any form of battle possible by virtue of their nature, but allow out of context statements with no proof or links to determine the placement of another?
  • So why are we doing this, at all? Is it to give the lower tier people a chance? Because, that’s not exactly a most skilled thread, now is it? Do we allow this method of thinking because we don’t like the idea? Because they didn’t work hard to be skilled, so they clearly aren’t, yet we also allow prodigies onto the same thread with no questions asked. Fundamentally, ignoring feats and statements because it isn’t fair is antithetical to the way a match is determined, and it is hypocritical to allow supernatural prodigies who can master every form of swordplay by 16 whilst also ignoring beings who are by the consequence of their nature, able to master all forms of combat and warfare.
  • Simply put, when one is the concept of war, combat, and/or battle, they should be above any other thing that can fight in martial prowess, simply because they would already know how that thing fights and be better than them by virtue of their nature.

Good to see you back! And as for the thread, it looks fairly handy, but unsure if all these details are necessary or if it's something to be applied to a page.

Good to see you back! And as for the thread, it looks fairly handy, but unsure if all these details are necessary or if it's something to be applied to a page.
That's something I was unsure of, bluntly put. I decided after some debate to put this in the Revision board, but there isn't really a board for debate standards revisions.

I do like the idea of Skill getting a specific page, though, so that what qualifies as feats for it are changed.

...Is it bad I've never played it?
latest

Fix this right now you plebian, it's on steam, I think it used to be on sale but that passed unfortunately

Either way memes aside, I totally agree with all of this. Speed Feats are not Skill, straight up magic isn't a skill, literally being skill as a concept should in fact be skill

Not bad, most of this is similar to what I think about "skill", although I prefer the term Proficiency (like Combat Proficiency). Being proficient in combat shouldn't grant any power, and although it may help to close the speed gaps, proficiency and speed are directly related (although, the x3 gap is kind of arbitrary to me).

Not bad, most of this is similar to what I think about "skill", although I prefer the term Proficiency (like Combat Proficiency). Being proficient in combat shouldn't grant any power, and although it may help to close the speed gaps, proficiency and speed are directly related (although, the x3 gap is kind of arbitrary to me).
Honestly, the 7.5x gap is currently pretty absurd, and 3x seemed a much better number. However, in an actaul fight, if someone is twice as fast as you

You aren't winning.

I do see why proficiency could be used for this, and I can agree with it.

To be fair, using acceleration or simply time as speed measure is, ironically, more accurate than speed, being the last better to measure traveling speed. So one is not speedblitzed unless one perform one attack in a time frame inferior to the reaction/action speed of the target.

In that matter, what Instinctive Reaction does is disappear the boundary between reaction and action speed, it means, the character is still limited by their speed but requires less awareness.

1. I mostly agree.
  2. I agree, but admit the boundaries are arguable and maybe shouldn't be given strict lines.
  3. Seems fine, I do worry somewhat about how it interacts with a few situations I'm familiar with, but I'll assume that since they're not listed and I think they've got more credence, they'll still be valid.
  4. Strong agree.
  5. Strong disagree. It should only scale to characters in the verse and not automatically trump all other verses. We just do not treat NLF stuff this way, you cannot say that an NLF thing in one verse with worse feats is better than something with actual feats in another verse.
I'm feeling kinda meh on applying this to a page or something, though.

I am laughing my ass off throughout the entire reading of the OP.

I don't know who you are, or that you even came back, but you made a friend in me.

Agree with everything.

It has been so long since I participated in a CRT that I had forgotten that I can agree with what was proposed. As you may remember, I said that you have my full support for this. Still the same thing. I agree.

Hmm, while I agree with the overall point, something I do disagree on is your third bullet on your third point:

3. Skill and Knowledge =/=. Knowledge is knowing how to do something. Skill is the ability to apply that to situations successfully. Should someone "know every fighting style on earth" it does not make them a better fighter, much the same as someone who knows every story on earth is not a necessarily great writer.
  • At first, these two traits seem completely tied, and that having one would mean an abundance of the other. However, Knowledge is the trait of knowing (wow go figure) concepts and information via books, media, teaching, etc. Skill, on the other hand, is the ability to actually apply such knowledge in a real situation. In terms of a battle, knowledge is knowing a move, an ability, or an attack, and skill is the ability to use said attack, ability, or move to its maximum effectiveness given the situation at hand.
    • Firstly: any feat of knowledge, such as knowing your opponents next move by studying their previous ones, is not a skill feat if the fight is still a pitched battle. It is a preparation and knowledge feat, and an intelligence one, but it is not something that would be especially skillful to pull off with enough study and time spent preparing. If a fighter spends weeks preparing to fight someone by actively studying their moves and abilities, and developing counters to them, and yet still has to fight a pitched battle against said opponent, they are not skilled. A skilled person, given the same time, would not struggle in the fight, and would actively adapt to the opponent.
      • For example, say someone is equal to a person in power and speed. Now, say that person studies the other rigorously, day and night, to prepare for an upcoming battle against them, and eventually learns how to perfectly counter their every move because they have learned the opponents patterns. What if that opponent changes patterns, adapts to their opponent, or learns of this and shifts strategy? If the studier is left fighting for their life because of this, they are not skilled, as they could not adapt to the change in dynamics. Skill is not about knowing how to fight your opponent in particular, it is about knowing how to adapt and fight any opponent that comes your way, based on your training and experience.
Adaptbility isn't just a measure of skill, it's a measure of intelligence and skill. Especially in the way you outlined it. Right above you actually explain skill pretty well, but in the example you provide you not talking about the same thing. Just because I can better understand and counter my opponent over the course of a battle that doesn't mean I'm more skilled than them, the reasonings for this is more likely to be me understanding the faults in what they do and how to exploit them. That's intelligence right there. The skill (alongside other things) comes in when I start putting that intelligence to work, actually physically countering and all that.

Hmm, while I agree with the overall point, something I do disagree on is your third bullet on your third point:

Adaptbility isn't just a measure of skill, it's a measure of intelligence and skill. Especially in the way you outlined it. Right above you actually explain skill pretty well, but in the example you provide you not talking about the same thing. Just because I can better understand and counter my opponent over the course of a battle that doesn't mean I'm more skilled than them, the reasonings for this is more likely to be me understanding the faults in what they do and how to exploit them. That's intelligence right there. The skill (alongside other things) comes in when I start putting that intelligence to work, actually physically countering and all that.
That's fair.

Skill is a mostly meaningless as it’s applied to fiction, so I’m obviously fine with any revision that puts more limitations on what can be argued for a character with high skill. Nice arguments.

If it’s not extremely obvious, I’d also like to note that physically dominating your opponent with higher strength or being too fast for fair combat is not a feat of skill as well. There’s tons of profiles that mention characters "defeating large groups of trained soldiers" as a skill feat when they just plow through the soldiers with higher AP or blitz them with speed.

1. I mostly agree.
  2. I agree, but admit the boundaries are arguable and maybe shouldn't be given strict lines.
  3. Seems fine, I do worry somewhat about how it interacts with a few situations I'm familiar with, but I'll assume that since they're not listed and I think they've got more credence, they'll still be valid.
  4. Strong agree.
  5. Strong disagree. It should only scale to characters in the verse and not automatically trump all other verses. We just do not treat NLF stuff this way, you cannot say that an NLF thing in one verse with worse feats is better than something with actual feats in another verse.
My point of views are mostly shared with Agnaa, so I'll agree with him.

Kekekek.

I make downgrades on DMC, y'all make "downgrades" on ikki? Lol anyway I don't mind. Anyway as the person that's most familiar with skill on the site I ask for this thread to wait for my opinion.

@KnightOfSunlight as you said there is no rush and I will not be able to drop walls of argument text until tomorrow because of university tests.

I do have several things I disagree with and some things I have already applied in my skill threads before.

So all I want is for this thread not to get fra concluded by tomorrow.

In contrast with what Dargoo said, I do agree that defeating groups of enemies to be a combat feat, however there's few conditions:

*First, the any individual of the group have the possibility to hurt and actually kill the character, it wouldn't be notable if the character simply have too much durability for the individual to deal with, character can be reckless and yet it wouldn't happens anything to it.
*Similar to above, the speed difference between individuals shouldn't be too high, one expect the character to be faster (as proficiency and speed are directly related), but is not notable if the mass of enemies are frozen in time compared with the character, as that is already a speed feat rather than a combat one.

1. I mostly agree.
  4. Strong agree.
I'm feeling kinda meh on applying this to a page or something, though.
2. Stat stomps are... a strange line, when it comes to skill. I agree that boundaries can be argued, but in most coversations I've had, three times seemed the point where people who know martial arts and swordplay would start to say "no, that's not winnable"
This is a fair point for number 3.

As for number 5, the issue is we ignore how being a type 1-2 concept of skill affects you relation to skill, entirely. Every single feat within a verse as massive and complex as Warhammer 40k, and Khorne, concept of martial combat, violence, and war that he is, isn't considered the most skilled being on the wiki.

I have more thoughts, but I am doing some stuff right now.

Slashing through and destroying hundreds of men is not a skill feat, but keeping up with that many at the same time (with no large advantages in physical stats) is totally skill IMO

In contrast with what Dargoo said, I do agree that defeating groups of enemies to be a combat feat, however there's few conditions:

*First, the any individual of the group have the possibility to hurt and actually kill the character, it wouldn't be notable if the character simply have too much durability for the individual to deal with, character can be reckless and yet it wouldn't happens anything to it.
*Similar to above, the speed difference between individuals shouldn't be too high, one expect the character to be faster (as proficiency and speed are directly related), but is not notable if the mass of enemies are frozen in time compared with the character, as that is already a speed feat rather than a combat one.
The first point is true, without much statistical advantage we can consider army fights skill. However as I was pointing out, it requires some... working. Simply put, fighting groups is not about fighting all of them at once and more about managing a fight so that you only fight one person at once, with the others unable to effectively help. Should someone be surrounded by people of the same stats as him, no skill will save that person.

The second point, one can be expected to be mentally faster, with better initative and less time between bouts of attacks, or in responses and counters. But in terms of actually speed, they'd still be around the same level.

Naturally, so much people can fight one individual, between 10k soldiers, only tens of them will be capable to do something (as a example, in A:BF masses of enemies get a bonus to attack ability, but it caps at +150 with 100 soldiers, so fighting 100 or 1M are equally difficult... Not counting that the last one is more tedious, and with more open to mistakes).

Depending on the weapons being used, against a single opponent, a group of 10k can only have around 10-20 people attack at once if they surround the person, and far less if they don't.

20 assumes they have longer spears or polearms, but surrounding someone when you have spears is a good way to have someone mess up and stab at their own allies.

It's also worth adding the combat effectiveness would be reduced due to a lack of manuverability room for the attackers. 6-7 is a far more effective bet because you retain some movement room, assuming proper distance and spacing of the attackers.

Even though only 10-20 can fight you at once, being able to fight for that long without making any major mistakes to lose should still be more impressive. Though stamina would also be a factor.

Even though only 10-20 can fight you at once, being able to fight for that long without making any major mistakes to lose should still be more impressive. Though stamina would also be a factor.
Oh absolutely. That's one reason why it's a skill feat if they are on somewhat even ground to each individual attacker. But they'd have to not get surrounded, because once you're surrounded, the only escape is flying out of the circle. No skill saves you from simultainous attacks from all sides.

But, this is far more of a stamina feat, due to being able to fight for massive, extended periods of time at your best, without collapsing from exhaustion.

Back