• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should Natural Lightning In Naruto be scaled from the Official Translation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, we've been using the average speed of lightning irl to scale Natural lightning in Naruto, not that that is wrong considering ********** and *********** translations, that sites lightning in "hundreds of times faster than sound". But considering that these at the end of the day are simply Fan translations and that Physics inside a series does not have to follow real life physics, especially in fiction, shouldn't we use what is Officially Translated for the series By the people who own the property?

Viz Translation States this:

0391-006

The mean height of a thundercloud is 2,100m, going by what Zetsu said, traveling 2,100m in 1/1000 of a second gives you Mach 6,122+ and that's going by what's officially translated for the series.

What arguments are there against using the Official Translations?

The text by Zetsu in the middle right corner states that lightning is moving at the speed of 1/1000 of a second?

second is the unit for time, and not speed.

Only the fan translated version states that the lightning reaches the ground at 1/1000th of a second, and Official Translations take priority over any fan translations.

Secondly, we see this image here

Cloud Mountain
that the thundercloud itself is not shown to be vastly higher than the mountain in the picture. As for the height of the thundercloud itself, the article here shows that

The cumulonimbus base may extend several miles across and occupy low to middle altitudes- formed at altitude from approximately 200 to 4,000 m (700 to 10,000 ft)
Basically, the height of thunderclouds vary wildly.

You would actually have to scale the height of the cloud itself directly from the mountain, and said cloud isn't always going to be mean cloud height.

I would stick with standard lightning speed.

Actually, I take what I said back in my previous comment.

Considering that the speed of lightning actually varies between

Researchers at the University of Florida found that the final one-dimensional speeds of 10 flashes observed were between 1.0e5 and 1.4e6 m/s, with an average of 4.4e5 m/s
meaning that the speed of lightning could be different in this case.

Now what is that mountain height in the picture? Hmm.....

Well, then let's look in the official translation for what it says:

Kirin speed RAW
The kanji is (leave the kana on the outside):

ÞÉ¢ÚøÀÒâÅÕìâÕêåÒâÄõ©ÇþºÆÕ░æ...Úƒ│Òâ¿Òâ¬ÒâóÚǃÒéñ!

In it we find 1/1000 or one-thousandth kanjis (ÕìâÕêå) so yes, Kirin's speed must be determined in milliseconds. And as Lina says the official version is the one that counts, in the fansubs translations or put that it is hundreds of times faster than the speed of the sound or they do not specify it like in the one used by the creator of this subject. However the official translation says Úƒ│Òâ¿Òâ¬ÒâóÚǃÒéñ which translates to is thousands of times greater at the speed of sound.

However, I do not know Japanese much less so if you do not want to take my comment as truthful I agree with you, I would prefer that someone who will speak the language will translate. If I remember correctly, Wikia has a language brigade to assist in required cases.

I think that the usual speed they use here for the lightning does not apply in this case or that speed must be changed. I saw an image of Lina Shields on the different cloud types where she showed that the usual height of a cumulonimbus was about 5000 ft, on other pages she looks for say similar information. It is true that these clouds have a height that varies, however 440 meters is too low and does not represent the average height of these clouds. For me it should be taken between 1400 and 1500 meters divided by 0.001 as the speed of the Kirin as mentioned in the manga since it is not hundreds but thousands of times faster than the speed of sound.

@Lina Shields

Yes, 1/1000 of a second is a unit of time, 0.001s. As you know, the equation for speed is Distance / Time. 2100 is the mean of the 2 altittudes. So, becsuse we don't know how high it exactly is, using that middle value is the best option. And we don at least have something to scale the hight of the thunder cloud:

Naruto-1569350

And the speed of Zetsu already references .001s as the time lightning strikes in naruto verse via these scans. Unless there is something else to disprove this inverse, wouldn't using Standard lightning speed be faulty and go against the source material?

if official translation(raw) r true then it will give naruto verse a massive speed upgrade

I do not think that we can use Zetsu's rough approximation as a replacement for our regular standards based on scientific experiments.

Antvasima said:
I do not think that we can use Zetsu's rough approximation as a replacement for our regular standards based on scientific experiments.
Naruto ended 3 years ago, if this wasn't brought up and accepted on Narutoforums I am sure this thread isn't valid and the reasons have been rejected/debunked on NF

but is there any reason to deny this

i heard/read from somewhere

Lightning can be below mach 1, all the way to 1/3 the speed of light

some 1 did say it in here

i dont think its going over 1/3 the speed of light

if its true

so how does it goes against scientific experiments

asking cause i am confused here

Well, as you can read in our Lightning Dodging Feats page, the speed of lightning varied greatly from case to case in the cited scientific experiment. However, we still use the average value for all other cases that we evaluate in this wiki, and Zetsu making a likely inaccurate mental approximation, is not a good substitute.

No problem. I will close this thread then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back