• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
You don't have to

To be honest I don't really like Jojo when I watched a few videos of it and I'm neutral to the memes of it

I do recommend it, but just know that it's a difficult show to evaluate the quality of without seeing at least a good chunk of multiple parts. The individual parts are so different that it's almost guaranteed that you'll adore one and really not care for another.

I think that's the main reason it's so hard to get into, because it actively defies the notion that any first impression speaks to the overall quality. Plus it is, of course, very bizarre, so that can be a bit of a turn-off for people who aren't prepared for such a thing. Hence why it makes such a terrible starter anime.

Last edited:
I do recommend it, but just know that it's a difficult show to evaluate the quality of without seeing at least a good chunk of multiple parts. The individual parts are so different that it's almost guaranteed that you'll adore one and really not care for another.

I think that's the main reason it's so hard to get into, because it actively defies the notion that any first impression speaks to the overall quality. Plus it is, of course, very bizarre, so that can be a bit of a turn-off for people who aren't prepared for such a thing. Hence why it makes such a terrible starter anime.
This thread is extremely old, I already watched all of Part 1

Oh yeah Araki is a hack writer. That's why what if scenarios tend to be so much more interesting than the actual plot, though I do think that Part 2 holds up decently well, writing-wise.

But I still give it a pass on creativity and likability in both the characters and fights.

Treat it like Dragon Ball Super. Don’t take the plot/storyline too seriously. You’ll be disappointed if you do.

Exactly. And Jojo at the very least feels like more love went into it than Super.

Sidenote: I've also heard good things about part 7 in terms of its writing, but I can't confirm

Jojo is basically an "It's so bad, it's good" anime
and no, Araki writing stories like he doesn't even know what he is writing
  1. The writer is inconsistent with the world he created. In Johnathan's saga, we learned about masks and Harmon and it continues in Joseph's saga where we learned about Pillar men and why Harmon was an effective weapon to defeat them. But when it entered the 3rd phase (Jotaro's saga), the global principal changed and suddenly there are stand users. Harmon was belittled and was rendered ineffective. The principles of the world were changed suddenly which doesn't make any sense. A similar thing happened when the writer introduced arrows, ghosts, and viruses. He should have created a whole different story starting from the Jotaro saga
  2. In each new Jojo's saga, the previous Jojo is belittled to show that the current Jojo (the protagonist in the respective storyline) had more influence. This could be achieved in many ways but the writer believes showing the previous Jojo weaker than the current Jojo can achieve this outcome. Of course, it can achieve this outcome but it shows that readers/ viewers are just fools to toy with and the writer can do whatever he wants. We can see this done with Joseph, then Jotaro, and so on.
  3. The writer is inconsistent with his own storyline. He creates elements that he, later on, forgets or chooses to forget (these elements are pretty big to forget). This has happened many times across all sagas. In Johnathan's saga, Erina Pendleton escapes using the coffin where Dio was held at. But in Jotaro's saga, we can see a coffin retrieved from the bottom of the sea. In Jotaro's saga, we can see polnareff's stand removing armor to attack faster, but he conveniently never uses it again to give the enemy constant advantage. In Giorno's saga, we can see that attacking Giorno's stand would reflect any damage done to the life he created with his golden wind, an eye for an eye, it happened with Act iii freeze and leaky eye. But for enemies' convenience, it never happened again when Ghiaccio froze his wine or Cioccolata turned his branch into the mold, also he had the ability to speed up consciousness and it never happened again after Buccaratti's fight. We can say the writer changed Giorno's stand according to his own convenience in the whole saga.
  4. Characters apart from the protagonist are very unlikable. They are twisted incarnation of the writer, and their emotions, mood characteristics change according to the writer's mood. In Josuke's storyline, we can see the various characters trying to literally kill the main characters like Rohan tried to kill Koichi. Yukao trying to kill Koichi. Hamada trying to off Jotaro. Shingechi trying to kill both Josuke and Okuyasu. But when their fight is over, everyone becomes sane and best friends. We also get to see the emotional moments with Singechi. A similar thing happens with Giorno and Buccarati. Very bad character planning I must say.
There are many more things but in the end, I would like to say that their adventures are not only bizarre but stupid with the writer above all playing dolls with his characters thinking viewers are stupid and he can do whatever he wants with his story.

Am I right? @Creaturemaster971 @Ican'tthinkof1goodname

Well they're not Sagas but instead Parts
The writer is inconsistent with the world he created. In Johnathan's saga, we learned about masks and Harmon and it continues in Joseph's saga where we learned about Pillar men and why Harmon was an effective weapon to defeat them. But when it entered the 3rd phase (Jotaro's saga), the global principal changed and suddenly there are stand users. Harmon was belittled and was rendered ineffective. The principles of the world were changed suddenly which doesn't make any sense. A similar thing happened when the writer introduced arrows, ghosts, and viruses. He should have created a whole different story starting from the Jotaro saga
Well Hamon was getting boring in people's minds and there are better ideas out there than magic breathing powers.
In each new Jojo's saga, the previous Jojo is belittled to show that the current Jojo (the protagonist in the respective storyline) had more influence. This could be achieved in many ways but the writer believes showing the previous Jojo weaker than the current Jojo can achieve this outcome. Of course, it can achieve this outcome but it shows that readers/ viewers are just fools to toy with and the writer can do whatever he wants. We can see this done with Joseph, then Jotaro, and so on.
You have a point
The writer is inconsistent with his own storyline. He creates elements that he, later on, forgets or chooses to forget (these elements are pretty big to forget). This has happened many times across all sagas. In Johnathan's saga, Erina Pendleton escapes using the coffin where Dio was held at. But in Jotaro's saga, we can see a coffin retrieved from the bottom of the sea. In Jotaro's saga, we can see polnareff's stand removing armor to attack faster, but he conveniently never uses it again to give the enemy constant advantage. In Giorno's saga, we can see that attacking Giorno's stand would reflect any damage done to the life he created with his golden wind, an eye for an eye, it happened with Act iii freeze and leaky eye. But for enemies' convenience, it never happened again when Ghiaccio froze his wine or Cioccolata turned his branch into the mold, also he had the ability to speed up consciousness and it never happened again after Buccaratti's fight. We can say the writer changed Giorno's stand according to his own convenience in the whole saga.
Please watch this series
Characters apart from the protagonist are very unlikable. They are twisted incarnation of the writer, and their emotions, mood characteristics change according to the writer's mood. In Josuke's storyline, we can see the various characters trying to literally kill the main characters like Rohan tried to kill Koichi. Yukao trying to kill Koichi. Hamada trying to off Jotaro. Shingechi trying to kill both Josuke and Okuyasu. But when their fight is over, everyone becomes sane and best friends. We also get to see the emotional moments with Singechi. A similar thing happens with Giorno and Buccarati. Very bad character planning I must say.
True for some characters but not all

No I think your points are very fair, and I do think that the series started declining at part 3. I don't understand when people say you gotta force yourself through the first two parts to get to the stands. The stands are when bigger problems started occurring.

I like part 5 because of the cast of characters, and I appreciate the weird powers, but that's all ot really has going for it at that point. I'm hoping part 7 lives up to what I've heard and I still think parts 1 and 2 make for a good story on their own.

You'll love it once you watch it. Part 1 seems boring, kinda, but it goes better once you watch the other parts. It's bizarre, but that's how the series will live up to it. By the way, the fights are kinda like HxH in terms of wits.

Fine I'll do it myself
In Jotaro's saga, we can see polnareff's stand removing armor to attack faster, but he conveniently never uses it again to give the enemy constant advantage.
Sliver Chariot needs to be damaged in order for it's armor to be removed and when it's armor is off it's durability and defense decreases some
In Giorno's saga, we can see that attacking Giorno's stand would reflect any damage done to the life he created with his golden wind, an eye for an eye, it happened with Act iii freeze and leaky eye. But for enemies' convenience, it never happened again when Ghiaccio froze his wine or Cioccolata turned his branch into the mold, also he had the ability to speed up consciousness and it never happened again after Buccaratti's fight. We can say the writer changed Giorno's stand according to his own convenience in the whole saga.
Those life aren't apart of the Stand or Sub-Stands

Back