• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shockwave formula: Time to put some limits

Actually... If an attack created shock waves that traverses a said distance of a period of time, the speed of the shockwaves propagated by characters' attacks have to be proportionate in speed to the attack themselves, and therefore can be scaled to their combat and reaction speeds.
Sweet.

But how do you calc it? Especially in outer space?

Sweet.

But how do you calc it? Especially in outer space?
The better question is: how to differentiate it.

There can be several situations:

A. A one-time shockwave is somehow picturized by a thin cloud of dust spreading from the epicenter to a certain boundary before it dissipates into invisibility. The radius (between the epicenter and the farthest point before it dissipates) over the time period gives the shockwave traversing speed.

B. A continuous shockwave is somehow still picturized by a thin cloud of dust spreading from the epicenter to a certain boundary before it dissipates into invisibility. But everything within the sphere volume is still shaking for a while.
The radius (between the epicenter and the farthest point before it looks to stop spreading further) over the time period gives the shockwave traversing speed.

C. An explosion happens. The light ball grows while devouring anything in contact with it. The radius of the lethal area over time spreading such explosion is the speed

The speed part is easy to calculate. But what about the attack potency parts?

If the shockwave destroys some stuff then Inverse Square Law can be used
I wonder if this can be also used for a scenario when say 2 fictional characters fight in the sky of our real Pluto and a shockwave is created that does not destroy anything but even we at our real earth can feel a Richter Magnitude 1 earthquake. Like 1 second from the quake happens at near Pluto.

it'd be the area of the affected area aka the place where it occours. Seems really impossible for a Magnitude 1 earthquake to affect the Earth

it'd be the area of the affected area aka the place where it occurs. Seems really impossible for a Magnitude 1 earthquake to affect the Earth
I mean, a not so strong explosion creates a shockwave that only diminishes to Richter Magnitude 1 when reaching Earth from Pluto. (I may make up another case where a stronger explosion creates a shockwave that diminishes to Richter Magnitude 5 at Earth when reaching Earth from Pluto.

As one explosion happens, a character's proven durability required to tank the explosion diminishes the further away he/she/it/they gets from the epicenter of an explosion.

I mean, a not so strong explosion creates a shockwave that only diminishes to Richter Magnitude 1 when reaching Earth from Pluto. (I may make up another case where a stronger explosion creates a shockwave that diminishes to Richter Magnitude 5 at Earth when reaching Earth from Pluto.

As one explosion happens, a character's proven durability required to tank the explosion diminishes the further away he/she/it/they gets from the epicenter of an explosion.
I mean, the issue isn't so much about the durability required to tank the explosion diminishing the further one is away from the epicenter as it is about getting a speed of the shockwave and the actual strength caused by shockwaves that aren't exactly explosions but still send cars flying into the air and so on.

I mean, the issue isn't so much about the durability required to tank the explosion diminishing the further one is away from the epicenter as it is about getting a speed of the shockwave and the actual strength caused by shockwaves that aren't exactly explosions but still send cars flying into the air and so on.
I wonder: if the shockwaves somehow make the car fly by say 2 meter upward, can the PE gain by the car be calculated, then calculate the surface area of the car facing the shockwave and back deduce the shockwave AP at the epicenter.

But I really fear this calculation can make no realistic sense as we humans can move in typhoons that can uproot trees but it will be way too hard for us to uproot trees when we have to do this ourselves.

I think using explosion formulas usually makes more sense than this. It's the same application case (all our explosion calcs are shockwave calcs), but they usually are build using better data.
What part of this you didn't understand

We do have another explosion formula that has been accepted, Cook’s Formula, to spice things up.
Yeah but that one's restricted ICBM-level explosions and above, as in, said explosions qualify for the formula only when they are shown to exceed 13 km/s, like your thread says.

But would something like this (As in, explosion formulae as a whole) even properly work for clapping away cars while not completely obliterating them?

What about doing this just like (1) any cloud dispersing feat like we have done before? Like, instead of cloud density we have air density. (2) Richter Magnitude 1 earthquake model? Why they do not work? Or need a minimal radius?

Okay. Calculating the shockwave covering volume part can be tricky.

And I am engaged in real life work plus some calc requests and evaluations and CRT debates here. Feel free to discuss with or without my direction. Cheers.

Hello. After months using this new method, it's time to put some limits, as the title says. The formula is

(Density of Air/Time^2)*(Radius of Blast Wave/Ratio of Specific Heat of Air)^5

This formila is used to calculate shockwave of explosions or even physical attacks that caused a shockwave. But some people are abusing. Exaple: Attack is X, then you calc the shockwave and get 2X. It doesn't make any sense for the shockwave being stronger than the attack itself. This should be a good point to consider after calculating feats with this formula. And we should understand wich shockwaves should be calculated, originated by explosions only or literally all

Hello. After months using this new method, it's time to put some limits, as the title says. The formula is

(Density of Air/Time^2)*(Radius of Blast Wave/Ratio of Specific Heat of Air)^5

This formila is used to calculate shockwave of explosions or even physical attacks that caused a shockwave. But some people are abusing. Exaple: Attack is X, then you calc the shockwave and get 2X. It doesn't make any sense for the shockwave being stronger than the attack itself. This should be a good point to consider after calculating feats with this formula. And we should understand wich shockwaves should be calculated, originated by explosions only or literally all.
If the shockwave is conical, does it still use its radius? And use m or cm?

Back