• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shiba Inu vs Coconut Crab

ArbitraryNumbers

VS Battles
Retired

They fight on a beach during the day, and start out 3 meters away from each other

The only advantage Shiba Inus seem to have an advantage in is Speed, and I guess size. I don't think the Shiba can really even harm the Coconut Crab, but the Coconut Crab just has to pinch the Shiba once to win really.

It says on the profile that the Shiba Inu is higher via piercing damage? Can't it bite through the shell or tear a claw/arm off with a bite?
If dog teeth don't piercing, I don't know what are.

Once again, if the Shiba Inu even gets close, they are putting themselves at high risk. And Crab Shells are much tougher than you think. Shiba Inus don't have great LS either, so they can't shake them around in their mouth or anything. Best case, I can see the Shiba Inu biting off like a tip of a leg.

I wouldn't say slow. Besides, the Coconut Crab doesn't need to move. It just needs to wait for the Shiba Inu to come close enough to pinch, which would result in an automatic win.
bro wtf.That’s horrifying.

It seems the Shiba can’t really crack its shell tbh.Most hunting dogs operate better in packs anyway.

While the crab can’t kill it,the Shiba will probably run or be incapped after a good pinch

It seems the Shiba can’t really crack its shell tbh.Most hunting dogs operate better in packs anyway.

While the crab can’t kill it,the Shiba will probably run or be incapped after a good pinch
Seems it can't crack the shell based on what? Again, piercing & surface area. Do we know the bite force or pressure with which a Shiba Inu can bite?

It's hard for even scissors to cut through Lobster Claws, just imagine how tough it would be for a small dog like a Shiba Inu to get through A Coconut Crab's shell. They aren't bred to kill large and armored animals like Coconut Crabs

Last edited:
Coconut crabs pretty heavy,I doubt a Shiba can turn it on its back with getting pinched
Aren't dogs known to feint or such? That is do a small bite, then jump back?
If the crab falls for it, & tries to pinch it, the shiba could bite the crab by the claw, & then throw the crab by its claw by swinging its head, right?
Plus, the shiba inu is supposedly faster, so it probably could pull this off well, no?

Incidentally, can coconut crabs open & close their claws equally fast? I know gators/crocs can have issues where they can only open their jaws very slowly, but unsure if coconut crab claws are similar.

Aren't dogs known to feint or such? That is do a small bite, then jump back?
Depends on the breed and the size of the prey.For this one,the Shiba would likely be doing that.However this is usually more better when it’s within a pack.In this case,the coconut crab could just play the defense game and wear off the shiba.

If the crab falls for it, & tries to pinch it, the shiba could bite the crab by the claw, & then throw the crab by its claw by swinging its head, right?
Plus, the shiba inu is supposedly faster, so it probably could pull this off well, no?
If you seen the footage,that crab is ******* fast.It’s likely to dodge the Shiba’s bites as well.It won’t be able to throw the crab by holding its claw,however Shiba’s have a mean pull.It could dislocate or pop something if it pulled the arm

Depends on the breed and the size of the prey.For this one,the Shiba would likely be doing that.However this is usually more better when it’s within a pack.In this case,the coconut crab could just play the defense game and wear off the shiba.
Wear off a dog? Aren't dogs known for their high stamina?
Heck, quoting the profiles:
Stamina: High (A rather athletic breed, built for hunting. Most owners tire out before their Shibas do)
Stamina: Can climb trees that are 10 ft tall, otherwise average
I don't think the crab can win a match of stamina, & it can only retreat so much. Especially if it's limited to crabwalking against a bigger, faster opponent, & if it slips up with the attempted pinch.

If you seen the footage,that crab is ******* fast.It’s likely to dodge the Shiba’s bites as well.It won’t be able to throw the crab by holding its claw,however Shiba’s have a mean pull.It could dislocate or pop something if it pulled the arm
I did not view the footage yet, so thank you for that clarification.
Though, why wouldn't it be able to throw the crab? Not that tearing the arm off isn't a valid tactic I could see the shiba inu trying.

Also, I just realized: Don't we assome by SBA that combatants won't retreat, period?

It's not impossible for the Shiba Inu to win, they just have to be very lucky. Whereas on the otherhand, the Coconut Crab can just pinch once and they probably win, since they are known to not let go of their prey.

It's not impossible for the Shiba Inu to win, they just have to be very lucky. Whereas on the otherhand, the Coconut Crab can just pinch once and they probably win, since they are known to not let go of their prey.
I'm skeptical of that.
Quoting the coconut crab's profile:
Attack Potency: Street level via gripping (Has a gripping force of 2,250 to 3,300 N. Can kill chickens, kittens, and birds that are larger than it. Shin-ichiro Oka, the man who conducted the experiment, stated that he was nipped by the crabs several times during the experiment, and that he couldn't do anything until the crabs decided to let go, which lasted several minutes.)

So it might take several minutes, but it could let go.

Also, lucky? Do you mean for the dog to dodge the claws, when the shiba is both bigger & faster? & the part the crab will probably be nipping at, the nearest part, is probably what the dog is biting with?
& that assumes the crab isn't on the defensive anyway, so it might get worn out earlier if it's running away from a dog so much.

Well yea by the time they let go, the Coconut Crab can and will get even more pinches in. And I change my mind, there is no realistic way for the Shiba to win. It doesn't nearly have enough power to kill the Crab. It might be able to tear off a few tips of legs, but thats about it.

Well yea by the time they let go, the Coconut Crab can and will get even more pinches in. And I change my mind, there is no realistic way for the Shiba to win. It doesn't nearly have enough power to kill the Crab. It might be able to tear off a few tips of legs, but thats about it.
Can't kill/incapacitate (Blood loss from bleeding is a thing.), despite piercing? Is there math behind that?

Would still be good to get the bite force value, IMHO. or a close approximation of it. Also:
Durability: Athlete level (Can survive 15ft (4.572 m) falls unharmed. Given a coconut crab weighs up to 4.1 kg, this would equate to a KE rating of up to 183.8276 joules.)
Yes, it's for surviving unharmed, but that durability feat of the coconut crab's the durability section lists isn't even baseline 9-C. It's not even double baseline Athletic Human Level. (Though, surviving unharmed might mean being around double baseline Athlete Level.)

I'm voting for the Crab FRA

It sounds like doggy needs a lot of chances and not get grabbed once to win, which irl RNG factors in. It's unlikely to me that the Shiba will have all the chances in the world to kill the Crab

I'm voting for the Crab FRA

It sounds like doggy needs a lot of chances and not get grabbed once to win, which irl RNG factors in. It's unlikely to me that the Shiba will have all the chances in the world to kill the Crab
A lot of chances for what & when it's crab's Below Average Speed to Shiba Inu's Superhuman 12.96416 meters / second?

You are saying it like the Crab is gonna be chasing the Shiba. All the crab needs to do is to wait for the Shiba to get close then they pinch. Crabs pinch much quicker than you think.

You are saying it like the Crab is gonna be chasing the Shiba. All the crab needs to do is to wait for the Shiba to get close then they pinch. Crabs pinch much quicker than you think.
Even despite the Below Average Speed on the profile? & how can fast a Shiba Inu dodge? Or, if the crab is trying to pinch the dog's approaching nose, open its jaw, then close it over the crab's claw?

The Shiba isn't gonna automatically dodge all of its attacks just because it's travel speed isn't as fast. A crab's pinch is much quicker than it's travel speed. If the Shiba tries to bite one of the claws, then well the Crab just uses it's other claw. Crabs don't usually chase after their prey from what I know, Dogs do, so if and when the Shiba gets close, its gonna get pinched since there isn't any chance they are gonna dodge a pinch from a crab when it's claws are literally centimeters away.

Last edited:
Back