• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shaking calculation methods issue's. (Earthquakes and shockwaves.)

I should have mentioned it before but there's another way to calc those feats using potential energy. I came up with this formula a while ago:

PE = V*A^2/(2d^2) * E
V - volume
A - amplitude of oscillations
d - diameter or width
E - Young's modulus of the material

I should have mentioned it before but there's another way to calc those feats using potential energy. I came up with this formula a while ago:

PE = V*A^2/(2d^2) * E
V - volume
d - diameter or width
What would be the units for these?

Also is there any way to figure out amplitude of oscillations based on Richter Energy?

Wait, isn't amplitude measured in Hz?
No, it's frequency. Besicaly how many times the ground goes back and forth per second.
Amplitude is how much the ground is displaced during the earthquake

No, it's frequency. Besicaly how many times the ground goes back and forth per second.
Amplitude is how much the ground is displaced during the earthquake
So what is the definition of the term "displaced" here? Is it the deviation in the path of the cracks that take place?

Could you give an example of a calc of shaking a pyramid of Giza? Just to see how the formula works.

PE = V*A^2/(2d^2) * E
V - volume
d - diameter or width
What width are we talking about? And how does it differ from the amplitude?

Using your calc as an example that width would be base diameter of the mountain which is 734.9 meters. Young's modulus of rock is about 70 GPa.
If we plug everything in the formula above we'll get 97000000 J (assuming 1 cm amplitude)

The problem is that we PE of 97 megajoules implies the oscillation frequency of 0.017 Hz which doesn't make any sence.

The problem is that we PE of 97 megajoules implies the oscillation frequency of 0.017 Hz which doesn't make any sence.
That is indeed too low. I remember Nik saying he used a formula from you where he used 30 Hz.

PE = V*A^2/(2d^2) * E
V - volume
d - diameter or width
Could this be used say for shaking Mount Fuji violently enough to cause its cave systems to collapse?

Back