• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shaking calculation methods issue's. (Earthquakes and shockwaves.)

Literally, the result is bigger than an earthquake. A fraction of an earthquake can shake a city, while the total energy is focused on the tectonic plates. For some reason, shaking without affecting plates that are more than 20 kilometres below the surface has a result almost 10 times greater
Please see the earthquakes section of this wiki before replying to this post.
We get a result of 14 tons from an earthquake only if it has a low magnitude. From the category of those that people barely feel.

Moreover, even in this case, the plates have a much higher amount of energy. You can see this in the calculation of earthquakes, where earthquakes that cause plate movement have a much greater effect.

That calc had 8-A because 5 magnitude means that power. In general, the radius of the earthquake does not matter here, as long as we are talking about such small distances.

well naturally if you increase the affected area it will increase the results.

326 is only slightly above average mountains by 26 meters.

Compare to say Mount Fuji your going to get significantly higher results.

Distance plays an important role in the calculation of an earthquake only when it is tens of kilometers

Wait is EQ calcing this allowed? I thought small scale EQ's localized on super small regions wasn't allowed anymore hence why Nasuverse lost tgeir Tier 6 a few years ago.
Apparently Ugarik made a new formula that could potentially allow localized quakes.

I also do not understand how on earth an 8-A mountain shaking feat is wank. If anything, it's way too low.
Regarding your comment under the blog. 188 and 360 are centimeters, not meters. I converted them to meters and got 1.88 and 3.6.

And the number 30 is the average vibration frequency during earthquakes

Actually I have some complaints about the math.

You took the speed as 1,884 m/s, 3,768 m/s and 5,652 m/s, but the problem is...

1*30*2*3.14= 188.4 m/s

2*30*2*3.14= 376.8 m/s

3*30*2*3.14= 565.2 m/s

First off, this leads to the following results...

Low-end: (28325163631 * 188.4^2)/2= 5.0269461e+14 J or 120 kilotons of TNT (Large Town level)

Mid-end: (28325163631 * 376.8^2)/2= 2.0107784e+15 J or 480.5875717017208331 kilotons of TNT (Large Town level)

High-end: (28325163631 * 565.2^2)/2= 4.5242515e+15 J or 1.081322060229445547 megatons of TNT (Small City level)

Second, where does the 30 in the formula come from?

I will repeat it one more time. 188, 376, 565 are not meters, but centimeters per second.

Amplitude 1, 2 and 3 are centimeters

I will repeat it one more time. 188, 376, 565 are not meters, but centimeters per second.

Amplitude 1, 2 and 3 are centimeters
Oh. Got confused by the commas there.

In any case, it is preferable to use dots instead of commas for the decimals.

Honestly I think that mountain shaking feat is too low tbh. I think the normal earthquake formula can be used there.

BTW, is there any way to figure out amplitude distance via Richter scale values?

I don't think. To be honest, Ugarik and I decided that 1-2 centimeters is the best option, given that the shaking is visible from a distance. 3 cm is already the high end. At a higher amplitude, the structure would not have stood up and collapsed.
BTW, is there any way to figure out amplitude distance via Richter scale values?

Honestly I think that mountain shaking feat is too low tbh. I think the normal earthquake formula can be used there.
The operation of a jackhammer can make a small building vibrate, however it does not have a level 9-A AP.
You can make a steel gate shake with a blow, but it won't give you a 9-B.

Ugarik initially informed me that the results would not be impressive. We cannot regard this as an earthquake, because the feat was not of a lasting nature. Literally on the same page, there is no shaking on the next frame. An earthquake is not something that stops in a second and it is of a long nature and goes in waves.

The nature of the Earthquake is irrelevant, I mean, the Earthquake page has formulas for non-natural earthquakes. This is no issue at all. The duration of the earthquake though, I don't know about that. Never heard anything about energy of an earthquake being related to time it lasts.

I explained to you why shaking something big is not so inspiring. This is not destruction. There is nowhere to get a big result.

And I explained why it wasn't an earthquake.

Not being an earthquake isn't a reason to not use the earthquake formula for non-natural ones. The formula is basically for shaking things using a magnitude. It doesn't depend on things like tectonic plates and such.

"non-natural earthquakes" are earthquakes that are not caused by nature, but by fictitious things like a punch. The same formula is used to measure the energy of earthquakes in various calculators

Talk with the one who gave the building example. I'm talking about the mountain shaking feat since the beginning.

The operation of a jackhammer can make a small building vibrate, however it does not have a level 9-A AP.
You can make a steel gate shake with a blow, but it won't give you a 9-B.

Ugarik initially informed me that the results would not be impressive. We cannot regard this as an earthquake, because the feat was not of a lasting nature. Literally on the same page, there is no shaking on the next frame. An earthquake is not something that stops in a second and it is of a long nature and goes in waves.
What about feats where the shaking lasts considerably longer than a second? Like here and here?

I explained why the feat that influenced the entire mountain produced a power even minimally close to 7-A. And gave an example of other things with shaking.

What about feats where the shaking lasts considerably longer than a second? Like here and here?
It still doesn't look like an earthquake and only the building itself shakes for a little over a second.
The second feat generally looks as if only the camera is shaking, but not the structure.

It still doesn't look like an earthquake and only the building itself shakes for a little over a second.
The second feat generally looks as if only the camera is shaking, but not the structure.
Nope, the second feat definitely has the entire structure shaking, as the wooden platforms collapse all around the place as you then fly around to get to the top without falling down.

By the the way this effects 2 feats from Baki, Baki's Slam and Yujiro's Building shaking feat. Both of which can be found here.

It has a long-lasting character, is marked by others as an earthquake and spreads throughout the area.

It has a long-lasting character, is marked by others as an earthquake and spreads throughout the area.
The first one isn't, it only affected a building and those inside thought it was due to the shaking. Baki's Slam isn't an earthquake either, he just shakes the surrounding area, neither one is an actual earthquake.

There's only one case of seismic activity with Yujiro stopping an earthquake.

Back