• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Setting down consistent verse naming procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdiosyncraticLawyer

Username Only
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Administrator
Content Moderator
Translation Helper
Spun off from this thread: https://vsbattles.com/threads/vs-battles-to-do-list-help-greatly-needed.139232/
19) There are many verses with inconsistent naming procedures.

A few examples:

We may need to decide on a more consistent system. "(Verse)" works in general for when a character is named the same thing, but if there are several spinoff continuities, the issue turns more complicated.

Thank you for helping out. 🙏

This likely needs to be handled, yes.

(Verse) is fine if there are no spinoffs in such, but it may be case by case. Sometimes, we may need to add a medium such as (Manga) or (Movie) or (Video Game). Othertimes, we may need to add the company such as (Toei) and for distinguishing reboots from originals, we may include the year of the creation. Though, I think we usually avoid "Canon" or "Non-Canon" in the names the latter because it's obvious and some verses just consist of so many continuities to the point where the original canon is like heavy minority compared to the numerous reboots, spinoffs, and adaptations.

Can I get an actual example from the wiki where using (Verse) wouldn't work?

Godzilla is not only both the name of a verse and a character, but also consists of many different continuities that each have their own version of Godzilla. Sonic the Hedgehog also has multiple continuities given Archie comics are separate from the game continuity. Sonic Boom also being a stand alone thing separate from the main game series and the various cartoon adaptations. Each with their own version of the Sonic the Hedgehog character.

And we sometimes split verse pages when there are a lot of different continuities and what not.

From a glance, I would say all of those are handled in a reasonable manner.

If one wanted to codify the implicit rules that I think are almost universally used already I would say:
  • If it's not ambiguous, just use the verse name.
  • If there is a character sharing the exact name of the verse, add (Verse) as a suffix.
  • If the verse has multiple continuities use the names of the continuities either directly for the page or add it behind the shared name in brackets to clarify.
  • If you have a character that appears in multiple continuities add in brackets a keyword that signifies which continuity it belongs to.
  • If you additionally have different versions of the character in the same continuity (e.g. due to different time periods) additionally add a keyword that specifies the version, in the same bracket as used to specify the continuity.
Is there a case that wouldn't cover?

If one wanted to codify the implicit rules that I think are almost universally used already I would say:
  • If there is a character sharing the exact name of the verse, add (Verse) as a suffix.
  • If the verse has multiple continuities use the names of the continuities either directly for the page or add it behind the shared name in brackets to clarify.
  • If you have a character that appears in multiple continuities add in brackets a keyword that signifies which continuity it belongs to.
  • If you additionally have different versions of the character in the same continuity (e.g. due to different time periods) additionally add a keyword that specifies the version, in the same bracket as used to specify the continuity.
@Antvasima

I think that these seem like good solutions.

I think that these seem like good solutions.
Looks good to me as well.
Should we add them to our Editing Rules page?
Sure, do it.
@Just_a_Random_Butler @ImmortalDread

Are you willing to handle it please?

Sure, I will handle this thread. I will create a draft, and we can discuss, so that everyone agreed with it. I will be using DT's quick notes as an inspiration.

@IdiosyncraticLawyer Do you mind my presence if I comment here or preferably not?

Sure, I will handle this thread. I will create a draft, and we can discuss, so that everyone agreed with it. I will be using DT's quick notes as an inspiration.

@IdiosyncraticLawyer Do you mind my presence if I comment here or preferably not?
I can't directly give permission, but given that Ant pinged you directly, it's not an issue.

So this is the draft as for now and it will be added under “Organization”

The draft:

Please adhere to the following guidelines when naming verses and characters in order to ensure clarity and avoid ambiguity. When naming a verse or character, consider the following rules:
  • Ambiguity Check:
    • Don't add (verse) if the name of the verse is unambiguous on its own. Use the verse name as is.
  • Character Distinctiveness:
    • If there is a character sharing the exact name of the verse, add "(Verse)" as a suffix to the verse name.
  • Multiple Continuities:
    • If the verse has multiple continuities, use the names of the continuities directly in the page name.
    • If the verse name is shared among different continuities, add the name of the continuity in brackets after the shared name to clarify.
  • Character Continuity Identification:
    • If a character appears in multiple continuities, add a keyword in brackets after the character's name to signify which continuity it belongs to.
    • If the character also has different versions within the same continuity (e.g., due to different time periods), include a keyword that specifies the version in the same bracket used for continuity identification.

Last edited:

The draft:

Please adhere to the following guidelines when naming verses and characters in order to ensure clarity and avoid ambiguity. When naming a verse or character, consider the following rules:
  • Avoid Ambiguity:
    • Don't add (verse) if the name of the verse is unambiguous on its own. Use the verse name as is.
    • Don't add (Verse) as a suffix to the name if there is already a character with the exact name of the verse. Instead, differentiate by using the character's name directly.
  • Multiple Continuities:
    • If the verse has multiple continuities, use the names of the continuities directly in the page name.
    • If the verse name is shared among different continuities, add the name of the continuity in brackets after the shared name to clarify.
    • If a character appears in multiple continuities, add a keyword in brackets after the character's name to signify which continuity it belongs to.
    • If the character also has different versions within the same continuity (e.g., due to different time periods), include a keyword that specifies the version in the same bracket used for continuity identification.
Fine by me.

The draft:

• Ambiguity Check:
    • If there is a character sharing the exact name of the verse, add "(Verse)" as a suffix to the verse name.
  • Multiple Continuities:
Yes, I also think that it looks good. Thank you very much for helping out. 🙏🙂

@DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Maverick_Zero_X @Crabwhale @Agnaa @Just_a_Random_Butler

Do you think that this seems acceptable to add to one of our rule pages?

The draft:

• Ambiguity Check:
  • Multiple Continuities:
Looks good to me.

Thank you for helping out. 🙏

Butler seems to have been missing for a few days. Is somebody else in our staff willing and able to properly make this addition?

Wait a minute. Our standard formatting approach for rule pages is option 3, so that is what should be used.

Wait a minute. Our standard formatting approach for rule pages is option 3, so that is what should be used.
Option 1 is creating an entire section, which is fine, it is still subset of Organization. It would be better to be like that, so people can read it without any difficulties.

I do prefer option 3 a bit, tbh. Options 1 and 2 feel like they have a bit too much blank space.

Also, we cannot deviate from our standard formatting with one specific section only.

Are you willing to correct the formatting errors in question please?

It wouldn't be one specific section; a lot of our rules pages have been changed to formatting like that, particularly with Dread's recent additions.

Not to that degree, as far as I am aware, no. Dread has simply added section titles with bold text, not used bold text within the longer text segments themselves, or at least she should not have.

Ah right, that's what you mean. Yeah, I've had to remove a bit of that before.

If that's the main concern, I could toss out option 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back