• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

[SAO] Certain VR Worlds scaling to each other

CurrySenpai

She/Her
FC/OC VS Battles
Content Moderator
As the title suggests; a while back in this thread. We stopped scaling SAO's VR Worlds as if they were all one. While I agree with this sentiment as it would not make sense for all games created by the seed to have the same scaling (GGO is grounded in more realism while a game like ALO is not) I believe that SAO and ALO should scale to each other.

It's stated and shown in the first few bits of Kirito entering ALO that he has the same stats and skills as he did in SAO, coupled with the fact that Yui stated ALO is a copy of the SAO Game Servers and that "The engine, programming, and graphics format are identical."

If SAO and ALO are built on essentially the same framework and Kirito shares the same stats there's no reason ALO characters shouldn't scale to a Large Building Level Floor 50-75 Kirito.

Now I will address basically the only important thing in this

Kirito at the end of ALO has his stats reset so wouldn't that make Calibur onwards go back to being Small Building Level? Not necessarily. Sure his stats got reset but we don't know by what margin he just says he'll be a lot weaker. He should still be able to contend with characters such as Eugene and Leafa, especially given the fact that it's stated early on that ALO is a game with an emphasis on player skill, containing no actual levels while being dependent on the player's athletic skills.

TL;DR ALO Kirito should scale to Floors 50-75 Kirito from now on but that should be the only VR World that scales unless I find something new.

Last edited:
It's stated and shown in the first few bits of Kirito entering ALO that he has the same stats and skills as he did in SAO

Not necessarily. Sure his stats got reset but we don't know by what margin he just says he'll be a lot weaker. He should still be able to contend with characters such as Eugene and Leafa, especially given the fact that it's stated early on that ALO is a game with an emphasis on player skill, containing no actual levels while being dependent on the player's athletic skills.
You see the contradiction here, yeah

"people should scale to Kirito because he still had big stats" then "ugh actually skill is the big deal don't put him at 9-A"

Though, if it is a copy of the same game, then New Aincrad should just be as strong as it used to be and they should scale from that... Like they already do, as of this moment

You see the contradiction here, yeah

"people should scale to Kirito because he still had big stats" then "ugh actually skill is the big deal don't put him at 9-A"
Yeah, I see what you mean but I will say when he says stats he most likely means his actual skills (ex. One-Handed Swords, Throwing Blades, etc.) since there are no Strength Stats as far as I can tell in ALO? (Although that's weird because later on, we have statements like Kirito being an STR build when he transfers over to GGO).

I guess the most supporting statement of my argument still is Yui saying it's the same character data as SAO's

does he actually have High 8-C feats after the reset

does he actually have High 8-C feats after the reset
He should, he does survive getting knocked into a mountain that makes a considerable shockwave in his battle with Eugene iirc

that'd require a calc

... though if it turns out High 8-C that'd probably be a good thing to scale to Aincrad since we've had to just say "well geocrawler is large" for actual years, the only thing coming close to breaking that was me calculating a 8-C feat from I think the Floor 6 boss? Whichever one is the giant turtle with the boats around it

That's the floor 4 field boss, not the main boss.

We should probably calc the Kirito vs Eugene fight though, yeah.

That's the floor 4 field boss, not the main boss.
I will say reviewing that calc was... Physically painful in about every sense

"Yeah this turtle is probably the size of a three storey building that's legit" -statement from the utterly deranged

It's probably still solidly into 9-A at the least but

Lmao, I can actually imagine the pain. That was also Reki's phase of "I really do not have time to write a boss fight, so here's a basic description of the boss that I'll follow with a 'and we beat it' and that should suffice" :ROFLMAO:

Floor 3 Boss -Nerius the Evil Treant-, Floor 4 Field Boss -Biceps Archelon- and Floor 4 Boss -Wythege the Hippocampus- were all skipped in the story.

---

As for the main topic of the thread, it does make more sense to scale each world individually. You will run into a lot of issues in standardizing your approach. As DMUA hinted at, you kinda cherry picked similarities between ALO and SAO to be able to scale. But it was the original ALO that was copied over from SAO, without levels and sword skills. So in a sense, anything that happens pre-New ALO update immediately should scale to a much lower level in comparison if you want to approach it that way, because you are directly comparing the two games and ALO does not possess certain aspects that gave players a lot of additional power back in SAO. How much that changes after Ymir takes over the world is arguable.

You got magic in ALO that did not exist in SAO, so how would that compare? Kirito does not specialize in destructive spells (or spells in general), so on a technicality, he should be scaled much lower than magic users... But he can cut through the magic projectiles with a measly sword etc.

What I'm trying to get to is, establishing the rules of a world from scratch is just much more reasonable than trying to draw equivalences from previous games. It's not just about character stats, but rather the rules of individual worlds. Although I was never able to grasp my head around trying to create such equivalences, so maybe that's just me.

There's also the fact that even if you transfer stats from one game to another, how the game interprets the stats may be different.

It's just like using the same engine and assets for different games, like Unity. You can make two RPGs using the same engine and some assets, but one is a medieval fantasy and the other is a sci-fi adventure, both with completely different feats.

Back