• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY Class M Lifting Strength Downgrade

So recently, a ton of the RWBY characters were upgraded to Class M lifting strength, scaling to anyone that is comparable to Qrow/Winter/other pro huntsmen. This thread is to both find out why this upgrade happened and to downgrade should the reasons not be sufficient. As of right now, no value even exists that these characters scale to other than Glynda Goodwitch, who did so through the use of her Semblance, an ability unique to her alone.

This upgrade came out of nowhere, and the feats I have been given to justify the upgrade most definitely should be debated properly rather than in other threads constantly.

Can you post the thread where the upgrades happened so I can look at them? I'm nowhere near knowledgeable on rwby, but I like to help whenever I can

Can you post the thread where the upgrades happened so I can look at them? I'm nowhere near knowledgeable on rwby, but I like to help whenever I can
There is no thread, that's why this thread exists. To get answers on why this was applied in the first place.

Best I can give is this CRT, though the LS for that was turned down due to the changes in LS rules.

Well, it sounds like a rule violation that just nobody bothered to change if it wasn't really accepted in a CRT :/

Hey I don't know that, this thread is pretty much saying that it wasn't actually accepted. I'll have to read through the thread first to find out.

Well, it sounds like a rule violation that just nobody bothered to change if it wasn't really accepted in a CRT :/
The person that applied the changes has constantly stated that he has the feats and calcs to justify, but due to his work can't be fully active.

This is for when he does become active, or if he doesn't.

This is a public awareness thread more than anything.

Weekly, you yourself noted, in that thread, that the LS was not widely accepted, and a mod agreed. You said to put this discussion off for another thread.

This is the thread.

If you have the feats and calcs and what not you keep saying you have, please give them when able.

Funny thing is its technically not even a true crossover, its literally just characters in the RWBY universe that are similar to the Justice League

I'm sorry, but you're just now calcing this stuff?

So were you lying in the previous threads when you said all this was already accepted?
This is a supporting feat that is for the Beacon arc, its not even part of the Class M stuff its just somthing i posted to keep the conversation going while i gather the rest of the calccs

Funny thing is its technically not even a true crossover, its literally just characters in the RWBY universe that are similar to the Justice League
Introducing canon Aliens as well as a league of people with strong semblances that did nothing to help Beacon or the rest of the team while they were getting killed on Earth because they F'd off into space to make a watchtower is kinda dumb to me.

Also, y'know, the blatant money gathering. And fanfic love interest moments.

Introducing canon Aliens as well as a league of people with strong semblances that did nothing to help Beacon or the rest of the team while they were getting killed on Earth because they F'd off into space to make a watchtower is kinda dumb to me.

Also, y'know, the blatant money gathering. And fanfic love interest moments.
Its RWBY, were you expecting good writing or logical characters?

While im finishing this up, mind explainig why pushing a Class M calced mass wouldnt scale to their LS when we allow pushing to scale to other verses?

While im finishing this up, mind explainig why pushing a Class M calced mass wouldnt scale to their LS when we allow pushing to scale to other verses?
1) LS based on collision was deemed inapplicable in a crt and other verses have already been effected by it. Sending something flying with a punch is not going to scale the same as picking something up.

2) "X does it so why can't we continue doing it for Y even if its wrong" is not an argument

3) She didn't even push it, she slashed downwards into it, causing the mech to stumble backwards from the damage before sitting down on its rear. You're attempting to claim that Ruby can easily pick the mech up and throw it by arguing she has LS equal to the Mech's weight.

The Justice League crossover comics literally confirms the existence of a Green Lantern Corps that watches over the multiverse. I don't put RWBY writing in high regard, but there needs to be firmer confirmation that they are canon due to the divergent lore implications.

Here are some Lifting Strength anti-feats:
  • Ruby being shocked by Penny being strong enough to lift a speeding truck, even though she previously saw that Penny is a very powerful fighter.
  • Ruby struggling to lift Penny while using her Semblance, and then collapsing shortly due to her weight.
  • Sun struggling to push a wooden cart speeding down a slope, even with the help of two clones.
  • Sun struggling to lift a collapsed wooden balcony with Ghira and two clones.
  • Qrow struggling and failing to push a bomb that can be carried by four Atlesian Knights, and the frame of the bomb is designed to be carried by four people implying that the bomb is not that heavy.
There are also concerns regarding whatever substance Grimm are made from not being dense since it evaporates upon their death.

The Justice League crossover comics literally confirms the existence of a Green Lantern Corps that watches over the multiverse. I don't put RWBY writing in high regard, but there needs to be firmer confirmation that they are canon due to the divergent lore implications.
The writers of both the comic and of RWBY as a whole said it canon to the show

Last edited:
Here are some Lifting Strength anti-feats:
  • Ruby being shocked by Penny being strong enough to lift a speeding truck, even though she previously saw that Penny is a very powerful fighter.
  • Ruby struggling to lift Penny while using her Semblance, and then collapsing shortly due to her weight.
  • Sun struggling to push a wooden cart speeding down a slope, even with the help of two clones.
  • Sun struggling to lift a collapsed wooden balcony with Ghira and two clones.
  • Qrow struggling and failing to push a bomb that can be carried by four Atlesian Knights, and the frame of the bomb is designed to be carried by four people implying that the bomb is not that heavy.
There are also concerns regarding whatever substance Grimm are made from not being dense since it evaporates upon their death.
*Ruby wasnt shocked by penny's strength she was shocked because she had no idea how penny was seemingly pulling an airplane out of the air with nothing as from the distance ruby was observing her the cables of Floating Array are basically invisible due to how thin they are
*PIS, especially when sun himself has a Class K feat, class 25 feat, class 10 feat, and multiple superhuman lifting strength feats on his own without scaling
*Both of them were severely exhausted from the fight they were in previously, Ghira's aura was down completely, and overusing clones rapidly drains Sun's aura and stamina and puts strain on his body
*That was confirmed to be a result of his bad luck semblance, and even then lifting strengrh doesnt allow you to ignore how friction works, the bomb was on a smooth, flat surface that was becoming more sheer with nothing to stop it from sliding around

We already had a crt about this and it was determined to be fine to use and they they are as dense as they are proportional to their size.

'They dissolve when they die therefore they're not as dense' is not a sufficient argument, especially when they're confirmed to have plating made of actual bone, internal bones, and blood

Last edited:
The writers of both the comic and of RWBY as a whole said it canon to the show
Couldn't find the statement. Can you link it?

*Ruby wasnt shocked by penny's strength she was shocked because she had no idea how penny was seemingly pulling an airplane out of the air with nothing as from the distance ruby was observing her the cables of Floating Array are basically invisible due to how thin they are
*PIS, especially when sun himself has a Class K feat, class 25 feat, class 10 feat, and multiple superhuman lifting strength feats on his own without scaling
*Both of them were severely exhausted from the fight they were in previously, Ghira's aura was down completely, and overusing clones rapidly drains Sun's aura and stamina and puts strain on his body
*That was confirmed to be a result of his bad luck semblance, and even then lifting strengrh doesnt allow you to ignore how friction works, the bomb was on a smooth, flat surface that was becoming more sheer with nothing to stop it from sliding around
Talking about the truck incident which happened in a different volume, not the plane.

Would be helpful if you share the feats, and link to the calcs.

I argue that there are more cases where characters quickly recovering from Aura exhaustion and keep fighting shortly after, than there are cases of characters becoming useless after Aura exhaustion. If Sun could barely lift it with the clones, then he doesn't stand much of a chance normally.

The bad luck Semblance doesn't nerf Qrow's physical capabilities as far as I am aware. If only Qrow had enough muscle power to give the bomb a shove, instead of the bomb pushing him back...
Qrow and the bomb were not actually situated on some extreme angle by the way. Qrow just lacked the lifiting strength.

We already had a crt about this and it was determined to be fine to use and they they are as dense as they are proportional to their size.

'They dissolve when they die therefore they're not as dense' is not a sufficient argument, especially when they're confirmed to have plating made of actual bone, internal bones, and blood
And now we are having a new CRT to review the evidence and evaluate new evidence.
Bones make up about 15% of a human's weight.
They have tar-like substance that evaporates inside. No confirmation about internal organs or blood.

From Before the Dawn:
The Jackalope in the pit roared as it struggled in the sand and slowly sank into the ground. When it opened its mouth, sand flew inside. The Grimm began to expand until it exploded, sending out more sand and tacky black Grimm matter that coated Coco. Though Carmine easily diverted it away from herself. Coco wiped a hand across her cheek and examined the tarlike substance before it dispersed into smoke.

They don't even need to eat, so comparision to the biology of normal animals is dubious at best.

What is the probability of Grimm weighing the same as real life animals when they are, y’know, made of weird goop/liquid.

Also Ruby didnt struggle to lift penny, she used an application of her semblance that she hadnt mastered which drained her stamina, later in the series she can do this with no issue and even does so while carrying penny, blake, weiss, and nora simultaneously

What is the probability of Grimm weighing the same as real life animals when they are, y’know, made of weird goop/liquid.
Seeing as they're capable of weighing people down when they're on top of then, create craters and crack the ground when they land, knock people over when they tackle them or when pieces of them are thrown at them, etc. Its pretty likely. Youd kinda need a statement that they have a different density if youd like to argue that they do because otherwise that's just making an assumption that goes against their depictions in the show

Can you explain what application specifically you are talking about? She did this in the beginning of the volume:

Her basic application is speed, and this is all what she did. She is not doing any fancy molecular level transmutation and assembly/disassembly of rose petals. She was even showing signs of strain before she even started moving as soon as she lifted Penny.

In fact, Gray in the volume commentary states that Ruby ran out of steam since she is not used to carrying so much mass:
Monty: And then this, and this thing.

Kerry: Yeah he,

Gray: You guys spent forever on how to look like, make it read that she was running out of steam early 'cause she's never had experience with that...

Kerry: Yeah.

Gray: ...that much mass before.

I don't know about you, but it doesn't seem like Penny weighs 1000000-1000000000 kg. The average human weighs about 60 kg.

When Ruby is 'carrying' her fellow academy dropouts, she is transforming them into rose petals; she is not carrying them normally like she tried with Penny.

Seeing as they're capable of weighing people down when they're on top of then, create craters and crack the ground when they land, knock people over when they tackle them or when pieces of them are thrown at them, etc. Its pretty likely. Youd kinda need a statement that they have a different density if youd like to argue that they do because otherwise that's just making an assumption that goes against their depictions in the show
Interesting. So for a character to do seemingly Tier 9 and Tier 8 feats, they neccessarily must be really really heavy weight-wise.

That's something even humans of normal weight can do with a landing in fiction.

That's something even humans of normal weight can do with a landing in fiction.
Yes, thats exactly my point, by the logic of 'Grimm are less dense' they would weight less than humans which is demonstrably false

Plus Grimm have internal biological structures as their biology is able to be manipulated and mutated directly by scientific equipmnt

Wasn't the argument that they weigh as much as the animals they're based on?
The current argument being made against the Grimm is that since they spawn from pools of mystery liquid, that theyre somehow less dense and therefore their mass is uncalcable

Ive already explained why this argument is faulty in multiple ways

The current argument being made against the Grimm is that since they spawn from pools of mystery liquid, that theyre somehow less dense and therefore their mass is uncalcable

Ive already explained why this argument is faulty in multiple ways
Even if they have organs their mass would still be uncalcable since they're pretty much magic tar no? Unless Grimm have feats of pinning someone who regularly displays superhuman strength like Yang with just their body mass we can't assume a weight for any of them. If you did already post that up ahead I apologise for missing it just quote that point so I can see it.

Even if they have organs their mass would still be uncalcable since they're pretty much magic tar no?
Like i said before, tar is much denser than water. If yall think we should use tar instead of water that would lead to some hefty lifting strength upgrades
Unless Grimm have feats of pinning someone who regularly displays superhuman strength like Yang with just their body mass we can't assume a weight for any of them.
They do yes, almost every character in the series has been pinned down or physically grappled by a grimm at one point or another.

Like i said before, tar is much denser than water. If yall think we should use tar instead of water that would lead to some hefty lifting strength upgrades

They do yes, almost every character in the series has been pinned down or physically grappled by a grimm at one point or another.
Magic tar don't forget that. It's an odd black substance that does weird things like spawn these creatures.

So Yang or someone else consistently shown to possess superhuman strength has been unable to lift a grimm that was lying on her body and this scene wasn't PIS?

Back