• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ruby Rose vs Bidoof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, so that's Cal's stance. Only one ability at a time. Anyway.... Moody of all things? The one with the regular stat boosting with another stat dropping by half that amount? That's a pain to figure out how it'll influence things, simply because it's an element of randomness in this hypothetical match. Frankly, I'd think its other 2 abilities would be more useful: Unaware for not caring about Ruby's own stat-changing, or Simple for Swords Dance, Amnesia, Growl, Defense Curl & Curse to buff Bibarel faster.

Also, I'm assuming this isn't the At Least 8-A form of Ruby?

But yeah. As mentioned, Bibarel can do a lot of statistics manipulation. Growl to drop her offenses, Defense Curl to boost Physical Defense by a bit, Amnesia to increase "Special" Defense by a fair bit (Good against elemental attacks & whatnot, such as possibly her Dusts, two of which it'll resist already, & 1 of which it'll be weak too.), as well as Swords Dance to boost its AP....

Oh & Curse is great here, too. Atk & Def, & Speed drop doesn't matter in Speed Equalized!

Ruby does have flight, & a lot of ranged attacks & can buff herself a bit, but Bibarel probably has the better statistics manipulation, even if Moody might interfere. Growl dropping her offenses won't care, & if Bibarel gets lucky with Crunch dropping her defenses, Moody won't hinder that either.

For that matter, Super Fang will outright ignore her defenses & take off half of her remaining "health" if it hits. Defense Curl, Curse, Moody & possibly boosting Defenses or Evasion (Would that even work in Speed Equalized? How?) could also help its approach.

The last big problems are Water Gun -Bibarel's ONLY ranged offense, but still something to hit her with if it can't jump at her or chase her somehow while she's (pseudo-)flying- & Yawn, which can put her to sleep, ready to be wailed upon.

Meanwhile, Ruby's big advantages, are as mentioned, the flight or pseudo-flight, & having better range, due to her weapon being a sizeable melee weapon & a firearm. If she realizes electric dust works better than fire, ice or gravity, that might also help her, but it might take a while if Bibarel doesn't use Water Gun too soon or isn't found in Water; Time might be wasted on other ammo if she's trying trial & error on this thing she's likely never seen before.

Her Silver Eyes while potentially useful, seems to have been triggered by trauma. Barring panic from of death or sheer rage while fighting this goofy looking sort-of-beaver, I doubt it's much more likely to end up coming into play. As opposed to.... You know, Bibarel possibly Yawning, which, like Silver Eyes, can incapacitate the opponent. Just with a slight delay.

Oh & lastly, Bidoof/Bibarel may not be so goofy. Bidoof:

Diamond With nerves of steel, nothing can perturb it. It is more agile and active than it appears.
Bibarel:

Pearl While its movements out of water are sluggish, it can swim as fast as any Feebas.
This evolutionary line's surprising nerves, agility, & apparently strange water & land speed aside, all in all, Bibarel has several advantages. Super Fang halving her health if it hits, the limited range provided by Water Gun, Yawn likely putting Ruby to sleep if used, giving Bibarel valuable set-up or attack opportunity.

Swords Dance, Curse, Growl, Defense Curl, Amnesia, Crunch's possible dropping of Ruby's Defenses....

Said statistics manipulation give Bibarel good ways to skew defense & offense in its favor.

Even if Moody MIGHT go badly for it, in the long term (Which gets more likely with more defenses early on, such as from Defense Curl, Amnesia, & Curse.), Moody results in a net gain/advantage, as the boosts are always more than the drops anyway, & thus, a likely progressively bigger advantage.

Even if Ruby is flying around shooting all the electricity dust she has -Does she have limited ammo?- for double damage, Bibarel can still chase her with its dubious agility, shoot back with Water Gun, & still may just put her to sleep with Yawn, never mind the considerable defenses it might accumulate. Meanwhile, 1 Super Fang knocks off half her remaining health.

Bibarel's biggest liabilities are some recoil from Take Down if it uses, stat drops -that Moody could mitigate from Superpower- & getting stuck rolling around in Rollout. Although Rollout has its power doubled if it uses Defense Curl beforehand, although I'm not sure if we apply that in VsBattles. Also, while predictable, Rollout DOES double in power with each hits for up to 5 hits.

If this Bibarel's smart, & maybe a little lucky, it could end up an extremely difficult, if not insurmountable battle for Ruby, & if she runs out of ammo, she can't fight while far away, & up close, Bibarel is much tougher to beat.

I vote Bibarel Medium-High difficulty.

I sincerely doubt Ruby will run out of ammo which is surprising given her small frame. I mean, did you see the amount of shells there was in the Ruby trailer alone? deer lord, the enviroment organizations are gonna hate her. And if this is Vol.4 Ruby, I am fairly sure she has a backpack full of Ammo. and comic books. but mostly ammo.

(Sorry for all the words. Kinda argumentative.)

Regarding ammo: Hundreds isn't infinite, but I'll concede that even drawn-out battles might not involve that much, depending on how much she fires. She's still not at much of an advantage. AFAIK, fire & ice aren't as effective on Bibarel, & while Electric will hit it harder, if she didn't know which to bring for this, some, or even the majority of her ammo could be at half-effectiveness, assuming a mix of ammo types.

If nothing cues her in that Bibarel is weak to Electricity, she'll waste time with less effective shots. Any time spent on type match-up trial & error is time lost.

Time spent lets Bibarel passively gain net stat boosts via Moody, likely amping defenses (Defense Curl, Curse, Amnesia.), &/or offenses (Curse, Swords Dance.). Or in that time, it can lower her physical offenses with Growl. Or just attack her, among other options.

Depending on how Speed Equalized affects it, Moody boosting Evasion or Accuracy could also be helpful.

If Bibarel Yawns, Ruby is set up to fall asleep in the near future, & there isn't much to cue in that it'll put to her sleep, nor how to stop it, especially if Moody's boosts can influence it.

Up close, Headbutt & Hyper Fang can flinch, costing time by forcing inaction. Crunch can drop her defenses. Super Fang ignores durability & takes out half the victim's remaining "health". Rollout powers up with every strike, & starts at double power if preceded by Defense Curl.

And Bibarel can still fire back in range with Water Gun. & limited ranged offense or not, it has many active stat amp options, & Moody is passive stat amps. Yes, random debuffs, but it simeultaneously buffs other stats randomly by greater amounts, too; Gains will gradually surpasses losses with time, so even without active stat amps, Bibarel steadily builds advantage that can snowball, & allow it to win a "damage race".

And again, even ignoring stat-ups Bibarel will build up -Bibarel's own buffs & debuffs to her via Growl & Crunch- which could outweigh Electric Dust's doubled damage against it, Yawn inflicting sleep, Super Fang halving her "health" via durability piercing, Headbutt & Hyper Fang's flinching, & range via Water Gun....

Bottom line, Ruby has few things that give her an edge here. Range doesn't mean much, especially in Speed Equalized, when your opponent has even limited range of their own, better hax (Sleep inducement, health halving attack that pierces durability, flinching, dropping your stats.), & their defenses & offense are steadily going up, passively & actively.

The only moves Bibarel would make that are to its detriment are Take Down -recoil- & Superpower -A hard hitting move with a drawback of stat drops that it can regain- & if it's like its pre-evolution Bidoof, it's got "nerves of steel" & its agile, out of & especially in water, if there's water around.

Can we please not make any baseless assumptions about Ruby? She has a standard ammunition supply with her standard dust rounds. While her gun CAN use lightning dust, she has not been shown to use that dust in the show (only the game) as far as I know.

My vote goes to Bibarel.

Speed is equalized, so Ruby's semblance is thrown out the window. They are both MHS+ anyways.

Ruby doesn't normally use hand-to-hand combat or have Grass/Electric attribute attacks to use against him.

Considering that Aura doesn't fully block attacks like Protect, Super Fang will go right through her.

Bibarel's diverse abilities are an advantage over Ruby's scythe and bullets.

But she has used lightning dust twice in volume 4? Plus, Ruby can fly. Using her long range and flight she can easily stay away. Also in her trailer alone she fired hundreds of shots.

I don't know how accepted her ability to use Lightning Dust is, but considering Bibarel's options to amp its Durability, it may not be relevant, especially in the long run.

And her "Flight" is based on using her firearm's recoil to proper herself. I won't deny she can do that, but that method makes her direction of flight predictable once her opponent realizes the direction of her weapon relates to which direction she's going to "fly" in. Similarly, it makes her direction of fire predictable if her opponent knows she's planning to move in some direction.

And not only does that Pseudo-Flight increase her ammo spending, but it means that, given that recoil propels her backwards from where her weapon is pointed, it can mean that when "flying" she can't always be firing at Bibarel while moving in certain directions.

There's also the matter of trying to use it to keep distance from her opponent; The match is speed equalized, so Bibarel should be able to move just as fast as her gun can propel her. For that matter, last I checked, she can't run on thin air, so in air, her only means of travelling from one location to another is her gun. At best, she could try running & propelling herself, I guess?

And as for staying at range, even if she was constantly retreating & firing, Bibarel can still shoot back with Water Gun, so being far away isn't guaranteed safety. It's even less reliable if we consider the risk of falling asleep because of Yawn.

A constant retreat & firing back strategy may also be out of character for her, & this isn't even accounting for possible environment-based complications.

Actually as of volume 4 Ruby has true flight, she doesn't need to use crescent rose except for rapid changes in direction.

Fair enough. Nonetheless, Bibarel still has better statistics manipulation, can put her to sleep with Yawn, & can fire back at Range with Water Gun. In close combat, its options are arguably better, & I'm not sure "Stay in retreat while firing the entire battle" is in-character for her.

She doesn't have true flight.

"During the Volume 4 Character Short, she displayed much greater control over her Semblance, using it to repeatedly change directions in mid-air and attack at high speed. She also exhibited the ability to seemingly dematerialize into three separate clusters of petals which then flowed around an opponent before reforming. The exact mechanics of this ability are not yet clear."

Firestorm808 said:
She doesn't have true flight.

"During the Volume 4 Character Short, she displayed much greater control over her Semblance, using it to repeatedly change directions in mid-air and attack at high speed. She also exhibited the ability to seemingly dematerialize into three separate clusters of petals which then flowed around an opponent before reforming. The exact mechanics of this ability are not yet clear."
Actually no, as of Volume 4 she does have true flight using her semblance

No its only with her semblance, but she can fly freely with it instead of just move really fast in one direction

1) That's contradictory to basically the whole show. Its never been shown or stated in the show that if your aura is depleted you cant use your semblance, hell Qrow has a passive semblance but it still works when his aura is depleted. Pyrrha was also able to use her semblence despite her aura being depleted in her fight with Cinder.

2) Not being able to use your semblance when your aura is depleted =/= using your semblance burns up your aura.

We can save that issue for another thread.

In the meantime, can we agree that overusing a semblance (active and physical ones) in general can cause fatigue.

Again, not really, the only one who has shown any visible fatigue from using their semblance is Weiss

What about Sun?

In "Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back", after exhausting himself from using four clones, Sun was wounded by Ilia Amitola.

To say that semblance use is possibly limitless is a stretch.

I don't want to derail the thread, so let's just save this for later. It doesn't really affect the match anyways.

Where's your stance on the battle?

Then keep it unequal I guess.

Bibarel via Surf, Rock Smash, Waterfall and Rock Climb for Imaginym's reasons

Get necroed thread! Bidoof for status buffs and putting ruby to sleep and/or removing half her "health" in a single attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back