• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RP Thread | Black Rose

Lore
You are in a place far away. A planet with no sun, a planet that is, for the most part, an utter wasteland. This planet is called Athad. It is always night in this place. Civilization is few and far between, inbetween The No Man's Land. They say when you venture out into the wastes, you can see the faces of the dead, faces of the forgotten, within the aftermath of the explosions. Sometimes you can even hear them. You currently reside in a city, called Kundari. Rumors spread around this city fast. Nightmares are common here. People claim to see things off in the sky. Claim to be visited by these things even. The various authority figures that reside in this place, your guards and your lawmen, all seem strangely afraid of something, traumatized even. Perhaps this means nothing to you, or perhaps everything. Perhaps you've lived in this place all of your life, or perhaps you're just a stranger. One thing is for certain. Do not tarry in the dark, lest you wish to be forgotten.

Your Beginning
You find yourself currently within Kundari, going about your business as you would. Reports of women going missing however, are beginning to spread across the city. Missing Persons posters keep popping up around town night after night, and so far, none of them have been found. Rumors are beginning to spread, varying in degrees of outlandishness. The incident has gotten so out of hand, people are making direct contact to the king of this place, Soma Praya. However, Lord Soma has not answered to anyone in a long time. In fact he hasn't been seen leaving the castle or generally out in the open for quite a while... What do you do?

Meta Thread

A strangely dressed woman could be seen investigating the missing persons posters, she was trying to see if any of the missing people were those she had dealings with, if there was some pattern, like position or wealth to them. As her attention was drawn to this interesting phenomenon, bored as she was with regular life wherever she found it.

A strangely dressed woman could be seen investigating the missing persons posters, she was trying to see if any of the missing people were those she had dealings with, if there was some pattern, like position or wealth to them. As her attention was drawn to this interesting phenomenon, bored as she was with regular life wherever she found it.
Some notable patterns: All of the people that went missing were woman. Typically ages ranging around their mid twenties. The rate they go missing seems to not have much correlation with status or wealth, as nobles and peasants alike are among the many missing.

Wandering around the streets of Kundari a travelling barefoot pugilist with foreign attire and a worn backpack seeks bodyguard work, naturally after hearing about the missing women he assumes there'll be plenty of opportunities for guard duty.

Menas continues his usual work, swindling and gambling on the streets. He had seen the posters before and was curious about it, keeping a mental note to keep an eye out for them. If his many senses provided any leads, it would be of a great help. Perhaps he could make some money off of it.

Wandering around the streets of Kundari a travelling barefoot pugilist with foreign attire and a worn backpack seeks bodyguard work, naturally after hearing about the missing women he assumes there'll be plenty of opportunities for guard duty.
There is in fact a few job offers... One in particular a bit more odd than the rest. A man going by the Alias "Mephomet" has an offer to look after his daughter while he is away from home. The offer says to meet him by the Clocktower to discuss further details.

Reznov makes hes way through the city annoyed at the idea of interacting with others as he looks for potential spots for bounties.

"A serial killer?"

She wondered out loud.

She could try using herself as bait for such a thing, as they would quickly come to regret targeting her, but for the moment she just considered things. She looked around to see if anyone notable was nearby. She wouldn't have to ask them anything, just passing by would be enough, as unpleasant of an experience as it is.

Frank was coming out of a bar while he kept what was left of his money, he needs to get more so I look to see what work the posters had.
"hun"

Curious about this odd job, the foreign pugilist grabs the poster and hastily makes his way to the clock tower.

Things have lately been pretty uneventful for the wandering fighter and thus a more unique job might prove to be fun.

Curious about this odd job, the foreign pugilist grabs the poster and hastily makes his way to the clock tower.

Things have lately been pretty uneventful for the wandering fighter and thus a more unique job might prove to be fun.
By the Clocktower a lone figure can be seen standing, wearing an all black garb and carrying a torch in his left hand. His face is covered by a mask that resembles a crow, having a large "beak". This attire is typical of a doctor in this town, however something about doesn't feel quite like your typical doctor.

A stray fingernail crawls up the street, gazing at the missing people signs. “Strange” the fingernail thinks.
“I would imagine them to be sexually motivated murders, but I would have to find the bodies to be sure. If they were being raped and disposed of by my enemies then perhaps I could set up a trap for them. I suppose I should make my men keep an eye on the women of the town, see where they are being taken and what is responsible. No.... they don’t listen to me anyway and under these circumstances they’d likely be justified given how suspicious it is for rough men to stare and stalk the, um, “target demographic“. I’ll have to do some detective work of my own”. The fingernail shifts around, trying to eavesdrop on people talking about the cases.

A stray fingernail crawls up the street, gazing at the missing people signs. “Strange” the fingernail thinks.
“I would imagine them to be sexually motivated murders, but I would have to find the bodies to be sure. If they were being raped and disposed of by my enemies then perhaps I could set up a trap for them. I suppose I should make my men keep an eye on the women of the town, see where they are being taken and what is responsible. No.... they don’t listen to me anyway and under these circumstances they’d likely be justified given how suspicious it is for rough men to stare and stalk the, um, “target demographic“. I’ll have to do some detective work of my own”. The fingernail shifts around, trying to eavesdrop on people talking about the cases.
A conversation happening nearby. Two men who seem nervous talking to one another.

"Where is the king? Why isn't he helping?"

"I don't know. We haven't seen him in ages..."

"Listen. I have a plan. Lets take both of our families and put them in one house, stay in the same room with them. We'll bring weapons. Me and you will take watch in shifts. If it comes, we'll be ready."

The men then both begin to walk away.

"Hmmm... A plague doctor perhaps?"

The Pugilist thinks out loud.

Yet despite initial misgivings, the situation doesn't seem dangerous and tbh the job was picked for the fun of it, the wanderer fearlessly approaches the doctor.

"Hello there you must be Mephomet, I'm Zack and I'm here to take you up on your job offer!"

"Hmmm... A plague doctor perhaps?"

The Pugilist thinks out loud.

Yet despite initial misgivings, the situation doesn't seem dangerous and tbh the job was picked for the fun of it, the wanderer fearlessly approaches the doctor.

"Hello there you must be Mephomet, I'm Zack and I'm here to take you up on your job offer!"
The Doctor stares at Zack for a few seconds, as if to gauge him. Size him up. The Doctor's eyes cannot be seen behind the mask and it is hard to read his movements... Without another word, he hands Zack a note and then walks off.

The note contains directions to the home and specific instructions.
"My daughter will be in her room, up the stairs and to the left. You will find various symbols painted across certain parts of the room. Do not touch them. Keep watch over her throughout the duration of her sleep."

Rose would also look for if there was a last seen location listed for the missing people at all, so she might know what types of places she'd need to go to lure whatever it is out.

Rose would also look for if there was a last seen location listed for the missing people at all, so she might know what types of places she'd need to go to lure whatever it is out.
Many of the kidnapped victims were in their beds sleeping last they were seen before disappearance. Some are thought to have been out late, by themselves.

Frank read the missing persons sign, someone was in town doing whatever he wanted but he didn't stay with his arms crossed, no, not again, plus he needed money to keep living and drink to the end.
@The_Divine_Phoenix
Frank was several meters from Rose, although it was not the intention of he just a random encounter.

"Miss, it's not to offend, but if this is true, you should be a better accompanied, I'm not hinting at anything, just a suggestion, this place is bad so you have to be prepared for everything." Frank said as he moved his cane that Rose could see that the bottom tip was very sharp

Menas continues his usual work, swindling and gambling on the streets. He had seen the posters before and was curious about it, keeping a mental note to keep an eye out for them. If his many senses provided any leads, it would be of a great help. Perhaps he could make some money off of it.
(Repost, just in case I was missed, apologies for the trouble

"Hmmm... the people of this city are truly a quirky bunch to be sure"

Zack thinks to himself after having that bizarre exchange with the client, he scratches his head for a moment before heading out to the address provided to him.

The most prevalent bounty in the city at the moment: Find whoevers kidnapping our women
“Hmmm” Reznov mulls over weather or not to take the bounty.

Eventually he decided the pay was worth the hassle before heading out to search for any clues which would point to the one responsible.

"Hmmm... the people of this city are truly a quirky bunch to be sure"

Zack thinks to himself after having that bizarre exchange with the client, he scratches his head for a moment before heading out to the address provided to him.
The house was at the far end of town, made of stone and wood. It looked quite sturdy from the outside. Inside the house was another story entirely. For the most part it was empty, only a few pieces of furniture here and there. Up the stairs and to the left was a room...

Nothing seems odd....

Menas decides to take a look at the posters to see what all the woman have in common and their general physi descriptions

Nothing seems odd....

Menas decides to take a look at the posters to see what all the woman have in common and their general physi descriptions
Some notable patterns: All of the people that went missing were woman. Typically ages ranging around their mid twenties. The rate they go missing seems to not have much correlation with status or wealth, as nobles and peasants alike are among the many missing.

Remembering the clients words, Zack opens the door slightly to check on the girl he is charged with protecting...
There was a woman in a bed, seemingly already fast asleep. There were strange symbols all around the room, mainly on the window leading inside. They appear to be depicting triangles overlapping over eachother, and eight pointed stars.

The woman looked distinctly bored by Frank's statement, though she had a very strange facial expression now that people had gathered in this general vicinity.

"What a boring notion, that I would need defending. To take away the thrill of being pursued like that. Oh, perhaps I could lure them out. I wonder where I should go."

The woman answered, she seemed to start talking to herself partway through what she was saying.

It wouldn’t be right to leave those girls on their own, and besides, whatever's doing this may cause me trouble later. The best way to deal with this would be to have the targets come to me

Menas finds a secluded area to shapeshift, settling on a female form about a foot and a half shorter than his usual height, dressed in fine attire. Then, after leaving the secluded place, “she” began walking down the street, and began to listen in to Rose and Frank, close by. She could have done so from farther of course, but she liked being less isolated.

The woman looked distinctly bored by Frank's statement, though she had a very strange facial expression now that people had gathered in this general vicinity.

"What a boring notion, that I would need defending. To take away the thrill of being pursued like that. Oh, perhaps I could lure them out. I wonder where I should go."

The woman answered, she seemed to start talking to herself partway through what she was saying.
"I don't know, if I were a kidnapper I would wait for the empty streets at times when people sleep to have a chance to find an easy victim in a favorable place." Frank said trying to be sarcastic but it was difficult for him because of everything he has lived through

"My, that really is a good idea. It's been some time since I've had someone chase me like that. Sounds like it would make for a fun night."

Rose replied, beginning to walk away from the missing persons posters, looking around for alleys and other shadowy locations.

Zack's ears perked up at the sight of the strange archaic symbols as well as the sleeping woman, he sensed a strange atmosphere in the air he could not quite put into words yet he dismissed the situation as just little weird...

"At least this job isn't the typical status quo" he muttered to himself as he sat down on the floor just outside the bedroom then he opened his backpack while keeping an eye on the sleeping lady...

"Yes, it will be a very hectic night for us too" he said in a whisper as he walked through the streets away from people and for a moment if someone had seen his shadow, he would find an anti-natural smile.

"My, that really is a good idea. It's been some time since I've had someone chase me like that. Sounds like it would make for a fun night."

Rose replied, beginning to walk away from the missing persons posters, looking around for alleys and other shadowy locations.
She seemed like she was actively looking for a fight. Hmmmmmm....

Menas followed her, not making too much of an effort to keep herself hidden, using her natural ability to understand people to take a moment to understand her. That woman seemed far too complex to be normal, psyche wise.

not quite human hmmm?

As Menas followed her, Rose would eventually turn a corner in front of him, one where there weren't witnesses, and at that point she seemed to vanish into the surroundings, becoming one with the shadows.

She did this to see how the person following her would react, as the incorporeal shade observed her surroundings.

As Reznov walks around the city searching for any sort of clues he notices various other people clearly searching the same as him.

If there was any sort of plausible evidence someone likely would have found it by now and theres no way the killer will do anything in the light especially with all these people searching, ill likely need to wait until later for any chance at this Reznov thinks to himself as he continues to walk.

As Menas followed her, Rose would eventually turn a corner in front of him, one where there weren't witnesses, and at that point she seemed to vanish into the surroundings, becoming one with the shadows.

She did this to see how the person following her would react, as the incorporeal shade observed her surroundings.
Powers seem to be what I guessed they’d be, hmmmmmmmm

Menas, while not surprised the person had disappeared, still needed a way to find her.

Should I attempt communication, or hide until she leaves and I can follow her again?

She gave a quick flip of a coin, and it landed on heads.

Hmmm....

Not wanting to break character and potentially be discovered, she flashed her eyes a deep red to let Rose know she wasn’t quite human either

Back