• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Roleplay System Discussions

KingEzran

He/Him
Hey fellas! I wanted to ask some questions about which kinds of roleplays you prefer and also use this as a discussion thread about aspects of RPs you've enjoyed!

Powers: (What kind of power base do you prefer for your RP?)

- Magic

- Technology (Using high tech weapons and such)

- Birth (Race-given powers and what not)

- Mutation (Getting powers that you didn't have from birth scientifically. Experimentation for example)

- Blessings (for lack of a better term) (Powers from an unexplainable or divine source, such as being a god or having powers given to you by one)

- Powerless (Little to no hax at all with mostly normal humans)

Time Period (What time period do you prefer for RPs?):

- Ancient

- Medieval

- The Not-So-Distant Past (20th Century)

- Present/Modern (Early 21st Century)

- Near Future (Mid to Late 21st Century)

- Distant Future (Anything beyond "Near Future")

Hax (How much hax do you like to see in an RP?):

- Haxless (Just about no powers at all)

- Low Hax

- Mid Hax

- High Hax

- World-breaking (Just about anything is permissible, Close to, if not, reality warping)

- Magic: Very easy to manipulate in order to make an interesting plot, set rules and drawbacks so that one has to think more about the matter and make it clear how dangerous it is to play with the occult.

- Technology: Simple and easy to understand, technically there were no ultra crazy things and I like to appeal to the logical side more, if there was a war between magic and technology I would join the side of technology

- Mutation: I like this concept because we can do something like X-men/inFamous
Time Period
Medieval and Present/Modern (Early 21st Century), this can include a strange mix where the present appears in the past or vice versa
Low-Mid, if it goes higher than that, this becomes a battle against a tank or someone who is ******* op

Powers:

-Generally Magic, Birth, and Blessing. However, I'd be very interested in technology, I've just never been in a mostly techno-based RP.

Birth is probably my favorite for story building purposes.

Time Period:

-Medieval & Near Future (Post-Apocalypse)

Hax:

Generally Mid hax with endgame being high hax.

Powers: (What kind of power base do you prefer for your RP?)

- Magic

- Technology (Using high tech weapons and such)

- Birth (Race-given powers and what not)

- Mutation (Getting powers that you didn't have from birth scientifically. Experimentation for example)

- Blessings (for lack of a better term) (Powers from an unexplainable or divine source, such as being a god or having powers given to you by one)

- Powerless (Little to no hax at all with mostly normal humans)
-Powerless & Technology: A mix of the futility of humans and the hope they have, clinging to technology
Time Period (What time period do you prefer for RPs?):

- Ancient

- Medieval

- The Not-So-Distant Past (20th Century)

- Present/Modern (Early 21st Century)

- Near Future (Mid to Late 21st Century)

- Distant Future (Anything beyond "Near Future")
- The Not-So-Distant Past (20th Century): Set in the 2000s.
Hax (How much hax do you like to see in an RP?):

- Haxless (Just about no powers at all)

- Low Hax

- Mid Hax

- High Hax

- World-breaking (Just about anything is permissible, Close to, if not, reality warping)
- Haxless to World-breaking: Some can be as weak as ants, but others can change the world around them but at a great cost.

7ak0bf.jpg

Mutation: I like this concept because we can do something like X-men/inFamous
Yeah, I've been thinking about mutation RPs here and on Discord for a while now, but haven't gotten to it due to the fact that I don't have a clear idea of what I want to do with it yet.

I suppose I never did answer for myself though.
Blessings and Mutations are probably my favorites. Granted, I like using magic often because it's just a simple thing that can encompass a lot of random abilities and versatility that couldn't be explained through something like Technology.

Time Period
Ancient-Medieval will always be my favorite because Avatar: The Last Airbender has tainted me.

Low-Mid or Mid is always a nice start. Definitely agree with YungManzi about having high hax in endgame.

Generally, based on the few RP's I've done on and off site, I vastly prefer lower hax settings, or for the stronger hax to be mostly exclusive to top tiers.

Makes it easier for balancing purposes, and prevents one player character from being able to either dominant an encounter, or just uh...low diff another player character lol. At least via hax.

For powers I really like magic systems, generally, but I think it's awesome when both are supported.

I generally prefer low hax at least at the start. I feel like it makes things more interesting at least for me.
As for what kind of system I typically like magic but others can be just as fun.
I don’t really have any preferences for time periods though.

Back