• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rewording the Resistance page (Staff only)

Perhaps we should move this thread to the staff forum? After that you could ask Promestein, DontTalkDT, and the administrators to comment here.

I'm fine with updating the page, though there are some grammar issues and general wordflow things there.

My revision;

Resistance is the power to withstand the effects of certain abilities through varying means. The highest degree of resistance is outright Immunity, supposedly making the character in question completely unaffected by such abilities.
Of course, simple resistance to one showing of an ability isn't enough to ignore all uses of that ability, as some applications may be far stronger, while others may work differently, meaning they must be resisted differently. As a result, when resistance is listed on a page, it's important to describe the specifics.
Qualifying for Immunity is difficult, as no simple show of resistance is enough, and statements could easily be hyperbole or only apply in-verse. Immunity should only be given when the character in question entirely lacks what would normally be affected. An inorganic being, for example, has no biological components to manipulate, and an entity without a soul won't be harmed by Soul Manipulation.
Specific resistances do not necessarily translate to broad ones, though resisting a versatile power with many applications (such as Mind Manipulation) may provide a similarly expansive defense. Even then, when the same ability is performed differently, resistance may prove futile. For example, a character may resist mind manipulation that targets the brain directly, but would be in trouble against a power that targets some incorporeal idea of the mind itself.
With some characters, resistances and immunities may need to be activated, rather than something that is constantly up and useful. In these cases, it should be mentioned - the same goes if the resistance only applies to certain parts of the character's body.
I don't think the note is necessary.

Thanks, I only have one thing to disagree with

Promestein said:
I don't think the note is necessary.
"Precog is something Sonic resists as Base Sonic can bypass Mogul's sixth sense and now we're using the far more powerful version of Sonic so pregoc is not a reliable wincon."

Things like that were said in that whole thread, the result of it ended as inconclusive until Thanos lost his tier on that level, I tried to tell others that the logic used there was fundamentally wrong, but with Sonic fans popping up to defend it and others not having knowledge on the verse, it was just pointless.

There is people that you can't argue certain logial things, but one doesn't know if that's momentary for them or if they would just never get it, one is forced to repeat things over and over again in different ways to them, expect fellow users to help or actively ask for help. And all that may or may not do anything anyway, when the logial things can just be clearly written for anyone to get.

Most people in the wiki kinda let certain inaccuracies get added for fear of getting fatigued when trying to fix them, the note is a small thing that helps with that.

Okay.

Then

Note: Just because a character's other powers scale up in another key after a power boost doesn't mean their resistances do too.

I agree with the ideas in general.

Eficiente said:
For example many think that resisting Mind Manip can save you from Possession when that's not the case, cases like this should be directly spesified in the pages of the powers.
Depends on the mechanism. Mind Manip resistance can in some cases save you. Not in all, though.

I am fine with Promestein's wording. Thank you for helping out.

Done, I changed "character" for "user" (of the resistance) in some parts of the wording as inanimate objects can have the power too.

I ended up not putting a section for Examples, which I guess others can add later.

What's left is to have "Immunity" link into the Resistance page.

Okay. Thanks. I will handle the redirection link.

Does somebody know of a good example image that we can use as a header in the Resistance page?

Back